Canadians... What's it really like?

billiebob

The 75% is strictly talking assault weapons and having lived rural most of my life, I can tell you a lot of rural Canadians feel the same way about assault weapons.. some are Rod & Gun Club members too.

Assault Weapons are not long guns for deer hunting.

rgallant

Adventurer
I normally stay quiet on these issues on line but this is a blatant attempt to get votes and nothing more. but as @billiebob you seem to unaware of exactly what is going on

1. 1500 models of firearms were banned for no reason other than how they look, that represents over 100,000 to 200,000 individual firearms.
  2. No notification has been sent to any firearms owner the very miminum due diligence the government should have done if they are making you eligible for 14 years in prison for changing the state of your legally owned firearm. And they know who we all are as we are all licensed.
  3. There are and have not been any "Assault Weapons" owned by Canadians since the 1930's when fully automatic weapons were banned
  4. The moment those 1500 models of firearms were banned all the owners became criminals with a 2 year amnesty keeping them from being charges
  5. In addition any owner of a previously unrestricted long gun now has to by a 500.00 safe to compliant with the storage laws or they can be charged, the amnesty does not exempt them for the safe storage laws.
  6. All of the rifles banned could have been used for hunting except the same Liberal goverment made it illegal back in the 70's
  7. Blair's fact finding mission over the last 2 year indicate 80% of Canadians want less firearms violence that means going after gangs and smuggling but that would be hard and unpopular
  8. They have changed the narrative to make it about suicide and womens rights - not gangs which are still the primary source of violence in Canada
  9. The estimated buyback cost is a joke 600 million to a billon is much closer and it will not make you any safer
  10. 100's of jobs will be lost and quite possibly hundreds of small businesses closed - without recourse or discussion.
  11. Finally the gross incompetence around this is incredible 1 example the told stores to return their inventory except they cannot, the bulk of that inventory comes from the US and can not be export back to US under US law. Something Mr Blair should have known.

Red90

Adventurer
This ban was part of the Liberal party’s platform before the election. There was then an election. They won. They are now doing exactly, to the letter, what was stated in the platform.

Disagree all you want, but they have a mandate to implement these laws. If you do not agree, then you do not believe in democracy.

The time to complain was with your vote. If you were on the other side accept the loss and move on.

Grassland

There is a few handles here that aren't welcome to stop by my OSB and staple ******** box if I ever manage to get to any sort of overland rally.

That's assuming I'm not in jail or murdered by the state for not licking boots.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Assault Weapons are not long guns for deer hunting.
I would really like to see how a 12 g shotgun falls in with this.
REALLY??? Perhaps you should know "assault weapons" are capable of firing on full auto. Been prohib since the 70's. Perhaps you keyboard warriors can explain why shotguns of 10 and 12 g are now prohib because they have an interchangeable choke that also puts them in this assault weapons class. Why are bolt actions now falling into this class?

I've been declared a criminal by my government with a 2 year moratorium (amnesty ) to turn myself in, yet our elected officials have delared theres no need for discussion vote or comment because this is the way it is . IF you truly believe this please look at other countries that have done this. Germany mid 30s to Venezuela now. This country is about to fragment as ... well now its leading into a political thing

From a liberal MP
We thank you for your email concerning the issue of guns, firearms, and public safety in Canada. MP Fragiskatos always appreciates the opportunity to engage with constituents and Canadians to address the questions and concerns they may have.

In terms of the recent announcement regarding the prohibition of assault-style firearms, our government’s top priority is keeping Canadians safe, and we are deeply concerned with the recent acts of gun violence across the country. We have identified key strategies for addressing this issue.

First, we are taking several steps to address gun and gang violence, including providing $86 million to the RCMP and the Canada Border Services Agency, and $200 million to work with the provinces and territories to identify their unique needs. This funding will help prevent illegal firearms and concealed goods from coming into the country illegally, while ensuring that front line officers have access to necessary resources for firearms investigations.

Second, following extensive consultations from provinces and territories, municipalities, police, border officials, and community groups who are at the forefront of efforts to fight against violence, we have concluded that our government must act in response to the violence related to guns.

To this end, we will move forward with our commitment to ban military-style assault weapons and to implement a firearms buy-back program. Minister of Public Safety Bill Blair has released a list of military-style assault weapons that will be banned in Canada.

HOW HAS GOING AFTER LAW ABIDING GUN OWNERS HELPED?

These prohibited firearms and components cannot be legally used, sold, or imported. Owners must also continue to safely store them, and may only transfer and transport them under limited circumstances. These measures will remove dangerous firearms designed for military use from our communities, and help ensure that Canadian families and communities will no longer become victims to gun violence.

NEVER WERE AS ONLY 1 AR WAS USED IN A CRIME AND THAT WAS ILLEGALLY IMPORTED

There will be a transition period of two years to protect owners of newly prohibited firearms from criminal liability while they take steps to comply with these new rules. This two-year amnesty order under the Criminal Code is in effect until April 30, 2022. There are exceptions under the amnesty for Indigenous peoples exercising Aboriginal or treaty rights to hunt, and for those who hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their families. These exceptions will allow for the continued use of newly prohibited firearms in limited circumstances until a suitable replacement can be found. By the end of the amnesty period, all firearms owners must comply with the ban.

SO BECAUSE I'M WHITE I'M NOT ALLOWED TO HUNT, BUT A NATIVE IS .RACISM RIGHT THERE FOLKS

Our government intends to implement a buy-back program as soon as possible to safely remove these firearms and to introduce legislation as early as possible, working with Parliament and through public consultation.

WHO'S GOING TO PAY?

While we are fortunate to live in a safe, orderly society where firearms-related violence is not the norm.

EXCEPT WHEN THESE CLOWNS MAKE IT.
IT''S HAND GUNS ILLEGALLY USED AND IMPORTED THAT'S THE ISSUE BUT THESE ASS CLOWNS CANT USE LOGIC OR DEDUCTIVE REASONING

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
Great time for the US (or anyone else)to invade our Country. We won’t have any guns to protect ourselves. Only pitchforks. ;-)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Just a friendly reminder that this forum does not tolerate political discussions. I am Canadian and I also have opinions on this topic but unfortunately I have to refrain myself from expressing it here.

Thanks

biggoolies

Adventurer
I was only joking ? But there you go. It was a silly comment with no grounding of course. That is if you are implying my comment.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was only joking ? But there you go. It was a silly comment with no grounding of course. That is if you are implying my comment.

I was not implying your comment specifically - just the general direction where this thread is heading.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would really like to see how a 12 g shotgun falls in with this.
REALLY??? Perhaps you should know "assault weapons" are capable of firing on full auto. Been prohib since the 70's. Perhaps you keyboard warriors can explain why shotguns of 10 and 12 g are now prohib because they have an interchangeable choke that also puts them in this assault weapons class. Why are bolt actions now falling into this class?

I've been declared a criminal by my government with a 2 year moratorium (amnesty ) to turn myself in, yet our elected officials have delared theres no need for discussion vote or comment because this is the way it is . IF you truly believe this please look at other countries that have done this. Germany mid 30s to Venezuela now. This country is about to fragment as ... well now its leading into a political thing

From a liberal MP
We thank you for your email concerning the issue of guns, firearms, and public safety in Canada. MP Fragiskatos always appreciates the opportunity to engage with constituents and Canadians to address the questions and concerns they may have.

In terms of the recent announcement regarding the prohibition of assault-style firearms, our government’s top priority is keeping Canadians safe, and we are deeply concerned with the recent acts of gun violence across the country. We have identified key strategies for addressing this issue.

First, we are taking several steps to address gun and gang violence, including providing $86 million to the RCMP and the Canada Border Services Agency, and $200 million to work with the provinces and territories to identify their unique needs. This funding will help prevent illegal firearms and concealed goods from coming into the country illegally, while ensuring that front line officers have access to necessary resources for firearms investigations.

Second, following extensive consultations from provinces and territories, municipalities, police, border officials, and community groups who are at the forefront of efforts to fight against violence, we have concluded that our government must act in response to the violence related to guns.

To this end, we will move forward with our commitment to ban military-style assault weapons and to implement a firearms buy-back program. Minister of Public Safety Bill Blair has released a list of military-style assault weapons that will be banned in Canada.

HOW HAS GOING AFTER LAW ABIDING GUN OWNERS HELPED?

These prohibited firearms and components cannot be legally used, sold, or imported. Owners must also continue to safely store them, and may only transfer and transport them under limited circumstances. These measures will remove dangerous firearms designed for military use from our communities, and help ensure that Canadian families and communities will no longer become victims to gun violence.

NEVER WERE AS ONLY 1 AR WAS USED IN A CRIME AND THAT WAS ILLEGALLY IMPORTED

There will be a transition period of two years to protect owners of newly prohibited firearms from criminal liability while they take steps to comply with these new rules. This two-year amnesty order under the Criminal Code is in effect until April 30, 2022. There are exceptions under the amnesty for Indigenous peoples exercising Aboriginal or treaty rights to hunt, and for those who hunt or trap to sustain themselves or their families. These exceptions will allow for the continued use of newly prohibited firearms in limited circumstances until a suitable replacement can be found. By the end of the amnesty period, all firearms owners must comply with the ban.

SO BECAUSE I'M WHITE I'M NOT ALLOWED TO HUNT, BUT A NATIVE IS .RACISM RIGHT THERE FOLKS

Our government intends to implement a buy-back program as soon as possible to safely remove these firearms and to introduce legislation as early as possible, working with Parliament and through public consultation.

WHO'S GOING TO PAY?

While we are fortunate to live in a safe, orderly society where firearms-related violence is not the norm.

EXCEPT WHEN THESE CLOWNS MAKE IT.
IT''S HAND GUNS ILLEGALLY USED AND IMPORTED THAT'S THE ISSUE BUT THESE ASS CLOWNS CANT USE LOGIC OR DEDUCTIVE REASONING
Wish I could have liked that post more than once. Agree 100% with everything you said. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even own a gun or have a PAL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles