Canadians... What's it really like?

Viggen

Just here...
Yes, you will. First of all all restricted has to be unloaded, trigger locked and stored in a safe, so you can't get to them in a hurry. Second is that self defence laws Canada is quite vague so people usually get charged if not for murder than for improper gun storage. As I understand it if you use deadly force for self defense you'll have to prove that your life was in danger and you have no other means to get help, so I expect that if a shot was fired it will end up in court and lawyers are not cheap...

Interesting. Very interesting.

deadly99

Explorer
Spent countless nights and days in the backcountry, no need for a gun. Bears around towns and campgrounds...thats where you find problem bears that have become accustomed to humans and their waste.

For someone used to the security of being armed, I get that you'd feel unsafe without a gun. Being a guy who has never carried I can honestly say its simply not required in Canada. Bears are more afraid of humans than humans are of bears. People dont carry so there is no threat there. A weird concept unless you are used to it I suppose.

What freaks me out is going to the US and knowing everyone is packing a gun...humans with guns make me nervous...not bears.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I am new here, but thought I'd comment anyways. I never, ever travel in the backcountry without a firearm. Better to have and not need then....... well you know. I carry a pump action short shotty with a 12" barrel. Overall length is around 30". 110% non- restricted, and is not required to be registered. Our non- restricted firearms laws are actually far less involved and daunting that what many believe they are. Once you are licensed you are good to go really. Yea, handguns are really only legally usable at a range here. My long term authorization to transport allows me to transport my handguns to any range, gunsmith, or border crossing in BC at any time I wish. I do not have to notify anyone of my intentions once I have my LTATT. My next purchase will be a ranch hand or Mare's Leg. As noted before, they are considered non- restricted rifles here in Canada and therefore can be taken pretty much anywhere if you so desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viggen

Just here...
Spent countless nights and days in the backcountry, no need for a gun. Bears around towns and campgrounds...thats where you find problem bears that have become accustomed to humans and their waste.

For someone used to the security of being armed, I get that you'd feel unsafe without a gun. Being a guy who has never carried I can honestly say its simply not required in Canada. Bears are more afraid of humans than humans are of bears. People dont carry so there is no threat there. A weird concept unless you are used to it I suppose.

What freaks me out is going to the US and knowing everyone is packing a gun...humans with guns make me nervous...not bears.

I understand and respect your point of view. To say that everyone is carrying is a bit of a misnomer but I can understand the feeling. It is kind of a vicious circle in a way. You feel like everyone is carrying so you feel like you might want to start. As I said, it is now more for my wifes feeling of safety than it is my own. The bear that wandered in, while quite rare, was one thing. The fox that tracked us was kind of the breaking point. We are pretty active outdoors and spend a decent amount of time hitting up wilderness areas in WV and national parks in VA. Call it paranoia, but now that we have a 1 year old, things changed. No real reason but I am now hyper aware of keeping my wife and daughter as safe as I possibly can.

We love the outdoors potential of Canada and that is why we really are contemplating an eventual move up there. With the ability to transport and own shorter barreled rifles and shotguns, I am okay with that.

IggyB

Adventurer
One other thing to mention.

In Canada the National Parks are off limits to firearms. They must be cased and unloaded.

rgallant

Adventurer
Just to chime in where you are in Canada matters the east coast is far more restrictive than the West coast on where you and when can shoot anything - it very much much a provincial thing.

But to sum up all AR variants,and handguns are restricted along with a large number of other firearms- you can only use them at a range and transport them to ranges and gunsmiths. Storage requirements are very specific

With a only a couple of examples all bullpups are prohibited you can not own them at all.

Generally speaking long guns and shotguns over 27.5 inches in overall length are unrestricted and transportable at anytime, note with collapsible stocks that is the stock closed or at it's shortest point in most cases.

As mentioned all semi autos are restricted to 5 rounds there are a couple of loopholes that can get you to 10 but the local police may not be aware so it can be a bit tricky sometimes.

If you are going to carry a long gun or shotgun, get a copy of the provincial hunt regs, they will indicate any restrictions or closures in areas you are traveling

The biggest issue up here is uneven enforcement and bizarrely complicated and contradictory laws that even gun owners have a hard time figuring out let alone your average police officer.

Dalko43

Explorer

Meh...everyone's got their own phobias and perceptions of what threats are out there.

I don't worry too much, if at all, about US citizens who are legally carrying firearms (concealed or otherwise). There are a lot of them out there, and the overwhelming majority of them act professionally and simply want to go about their lives without being bothered.

I do worry about armed criminals, who gain access to firearms regardless of what the law states. And that's an issue that both Canada and the US have been dealing with as of late.

rotti

Adventurer
Heading up to Alaska this summer and was wondering how Canada would feel about my 12 ga Remington pump, 18" barrel with an extended tube (6 plus 1)?

Longrange308

Adventurer
Move to northern Idaho or northern Montana.. About as good as it gets to being in Canada, without the draconian gun and self defense laws.

IggyB

Adventurer
Heading up to Alaska this summer and was wondering how Canada would feel about my 12 ga Remington pump, 18" barrel with an extended tube (6 plus 1)?

The shotgun configuration is legal and non restricted in Canada but I don't know what the transport laws are for US citizens travelling through.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The shotgun configuration is legal and non restricted in Canada but I don't know what the transport laws are for US citizens travelling through.

I know for sure it can be done - lots of Americans driving through to Alaska get a permit to transport it through.

-Dan

rgallant

Adventurer
rotti

You need to check in ahead of time. I am not sure if you can get clearance at the border, but although it is legal here you still need the paper work

photo nomad

Adventurer
Transporting long guns through Canada is easy. Fill out the form online before hand and declare them at the border. You go inside, they stamp it and off you go.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Canada...... firearms

Transporting long guns through Canada is easy. Fill out the form online before hand and declare them at the border. You go inside, they stamp it and off you go.

X2, several years ago I made two trips into the James Bay region of NE Canada. $25 Canadian, a one page form checked at the boarder (NYS/Canada) by the RCMP's and I was good to go to travel to that remote region with my stateside legal SXS 12 ga. coach gun. No problems on my return to the states either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles