Canadian Hino Ranger FT 4x4 Crewcab

Abitibi

Explorer
I recently imported from Japan a 1994 Hino Ranger FT 4x4. I managed to get through all the importation and insurance red tape and now happily enjoying it. It's in amazing shape, only 15k miles and 3400 engine hours. It has the H07D n/a engine and a 5spd manual tranny. And it's not a small truck, in its current format it weighs 16k lbs. But, it will go on a diet as I don't plan to keep that rear box and massive pump very long. (Anyone needs the box? It's for sale)

I wanted the older model as pretty much everything is mechanical. I run all my trucks on WVO so this will be the perfect candidate.

Plan is to tubo it, super singles, get an ambo box on the back, stretch it for my needs (the box) and camperize it similar to my current ambo.

I can post more pictures if requested or just check this youtube link where I made a quick video going over most of the truck.

e9275a3daacc13faf6058e2a70093b74.jpg

Project Rhino_4x4

Cheers,
David

Last edited:

Ultimark

In the middle of the instrument panel, is the air pressure indicator.

kg/cm² which probably sits somewhere around 10-12 kg/cm² for normal running.

I think it started around 5 kg/cm² then was slowly rising to around 6.5 kg/cm² on the last image as you swept the camera over the instrument panel.

Looks like a nice touring unit in the making.

Abitibi

Explorer
In the middle of the instrument panel, is the air pressure indicator.

kg/cm² which probably sits somewhere around 10-12 kg/cm² for normal running.

I think it started around 5 kg/cm² then was slowly rising to around 6.5 kg/cm² on the last image as you swept the camera over the instrument panel.

Looks like a nice touring unit in the making.

I didnt even noticed it, thanks for pointing it out! Since it's air over hydraulic I was expecting a distinct gauge in psi. I did find out the engine brake switch though, very convenient!

I also found a conversion table so 8 to 9 would be ideal, I'll check next time I'm by the truck...
ad75b038d2f4c7324d69851df927ed36.jpg

Last edited:

Ultimark

kg/cm2 is a normal way to express air pressure in metric countries, as is Bar and kPa.

To help you a little, think of 1 kg/cm2 being very close to one atmosphere, with 5 kg/cm2 being under but sort of close to 5 atmospheres of measurement. I would think your truck will probably sit between 10 kg/cm2 to 12 kg/cm2 at the least.

A Mercedes Benz truck I drive every now and then, uses the Bar system, the air pressure always sits on 13 Bar, or close to 13 times atmospheric pressure. In stop start traffic and with air brakes feeding three axles, the compressor runs quite a lot in short bursts.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks for that info. Here we mostly use psi and the range for air brakes is normally from 110psi to 135psi. The compressor engages around 90psi and the blow off valve releases at 150psi.

So now I'm pretty curious how my numbers will be! I'm out of town until the 4th so won't be able to check till then.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Quick update while I'm slowly planning my next move.

Truck is now fully insured and a blast to drive around! This truck seems to have specific specs for the FD. For some reason it's a 5spd manual while "civilian" trucks of the same era had a 6spd. The engine is a H07D non-turbo (7410cc) while "civilian" mostly had the H06C with turbo (6485cc). This truck is also pretty high geared so hwy speeds are limited at this time.

I just sourced an exhaust manifold so I can now plan to add a turbo to help on the hwy. Right now I can cruise at 55mph but that's at 2800rpm. Surprisingly it's not too loud and doesn't really slow down on uphills. Went to pick up some new rubbers in WA, 3hrs of hwy drive and I got 13.5mpg! Didn't expect this good but that's too small of a sample to get excited yet...

I picked up 5 new Pirelli PS22, 335/80R20 so approx. 41" and on the narrower side of things. Got a great deal that I couldn't pass and I feel these tires will fit very nicely without any mods. I could probably have gone 365/80r20 (43" and wider) but pricier and not sure if I would need to mod anything to make them fit. I can always go up once these wear out.

I also ordered 5 military 20" steel rims. I will cut the center out and build a new face with my bolt pattern (8 lugs). If it doesn't turn out as expected then I'm back to square 1 and will empty my wallet for some Stazworks rims.

Pictures to keep things entertaining... I have to admit, it will be a lot easier to rotate the tires on my wife's car, lol

Cheers
David

20230104_141936.jpg20230111_152916.jpgRhino rims.png

Pirelly S22.png
20230111_155113.jpg

baipin

Quick update while I'm slowly planning my next move.

Truck is now fully insured and a blast to drive around! This truck seems to have specific specs for the FD. For some reason it's a 5spd manual while "civilian" trucks of the same era had a 6spd. The engine is a H07D non-turbo (7410cc) while "civilian" mostly had the H06C with turbo (6485cc). This truck is also pretty high geared so hwy speeds are limited at this time.

I just sourced an exhaust manifold so I can now plan to add a turbo to help on the hwy. Right now I can cruise at 55mph but that's at 2800rpm. Surprisingly it's not too loud and doesn't really slow down on uphills. Went to pick up some new rubbers in WA, 3hrs of hwy drive and I got 13.5mpg! Didn't expect this good but that's too small of a sample to get excited yet...

I picked up 5 new Pirelli PS22, 335/80R20 so approx. 41" and on the narrower side of things. Got a great deal that I couldn't pass and I feel these tires will fit very nicely without any mods. I could probably have gone 365/80r20 (43" and wider) but pricier and not sure if I would need to mod anything to make them fit. I can always go up once these wear out.

I also ordered 5 military 20" steel rims. I will cut the center out and build a new face with my bolt pattern (8 lugs). If it doesn't turn out as expected then I'm back to square 1 and will empty my wallet for some Stazworks rims.

Pictures to keep things entertaining... I have to admit, it will be a lot easier to rotate the tires on my wife's car, lol

Cheers
David

View attachment 760542View attachment 760543View attachment 760544

View attachment 760546
View attachment 760545

David, very cool rig - it's one helluva unique one!

Am I correct that you got the 5 ton Titan wheels from militarytires.ca? I recognize that photo from their site. Where did you get the Pistas from? I haven't found a Canadian supplier for those... Was it CSM in the States?

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks!

Yes Titans rims from militarytires.ca

I found the tires on ebay but they are mostly all out back east. I got lucky as I found a set of 5 new ones 1.5hrs from my house and cheaper! So I saved the freight cost :)

baipin

Thanks!

Yes Titans rims from militarytires.ca

I found the tires on ebay but they are mostly all out back east. I got lucky as I found a set of 5 new ones 1.5hrs from my house and cheaper! So I saved the freight cost :)

Interesting! I've been looking to upgrade from Humvee 16.5's, bought from militarytires.ca, to a 335/85R20's but have been unable to find anything with a reasonable date code in Ontario. Were the eBay ones here in Canada as well?

Do you know anything about your front axle, by the way? As far as shaft diameter, ring gear diameter, GAWR goes? I'm curious what's under these things! I've only seen Hino 300 drive/steer axles, which seem to have a really tiny ring and pinion.

Abitibi

Explorer
Tires came from the USA. I got them for $310usd a piece and no freight cost so a steal in my book. Not sure about the date but DOT.

As for the front axle I'm not sure. I guess similar to a Hino 500? I do have some specs buried somewhere, I could dig it up. I'll post a close up picture of the axle in a bit.

Abitibi

Explorer
This is the front axle.
I'm not sure what's the weight rating but it's substantial, the axle is way larger than the Dyna super 60 on my ambo.

20230113_145622.jpg20230113_145652.jpg

baipin

Very cool to see the axle up close! I wonder how large that ring gear is? Putting my guess around 10.5" ;) I find it interesting that all of the current and former Japanese trucks used closed knuckle designs when that has been done away with by North American manufacturers, pretty much after the Dana 70 front axles from the 70's and a few Rockwell ones then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles