Canadian Hino Ranger FT 4x4 Crewcab

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looking good… this explains why your Ambo thread has gone dormant. :D

I guess you’ll not be following me down any narrow trails. ;)

Abitibi

Explorer
Yeah, I'll be a tad chobbier but it never stopped me before.

The box is coming off this week so about to look funny and ride like on a goat trail...

I got all the parts ready to put the new wheels but haven't figured where to paint them yet. With this colder weather it complicates things.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'll be a tad chobbier
emoji6.png
but it never stopped me before.

The box is coming off this week so about to look funny and ride like on a goat trail...

I got all the parts ready to put the new wheels but haven't figured where to paint them yet. With this colder weather it complicates things.

Cheers!

No kidding… it can go away anytime.

if I were starting over from the beginning… https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/cto/d/surrey-1975-styer-puch-pinzgauer-4x4/7569775641.html

A1F5F735-48BA-4CFF-BE1C-290BE6DCADF8.jpeg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Well, the box is officially gone!

We had to disconnect the lower boxes from the steel running board on each side but wow, were they ever rusted out! Good thing I'm not keeping those. Even better, it was the only part rusted on the entire truck!

Now finishing the rims and getting the new box to my place so I can plan for the subframe...

Cheers
David

Box gone1.png

Box gone2.png

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Well, the box is officially gone!

We had to disconnect the lower boxes from the steel running board on each side but wow, were they ever rusted out! Good thing I'm not keeping those. Even better, it was the only part rusted on the entire truck!

Now finishing the rims and getting the new box to my place so I can plan for the subframe...

Cheers
David

View attachment 763888

View attachment 763889
The lengths you’ll go to to get away from an E350 engine bay. So long as the cab doesn’t fall on you it looks far less painful… possibly even enjoyable to work on.

Abitibi

Explorer
The difference is night and day, no more pulling the engine just to change glowplugs, just tilt the cab and its right there!

She looks good!
9166dbe28e5e3bbab189ff08d26ef24e.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
So... have you considered adding a hydraulic lift system for the cab?
BTW, that cab looks like it is in very nice condition.

I'm going to venture to say that like mine it has the lift built-in. That yellow tube we see is the safety support that one drops in to finally turn off the annoying 'cab up' alarm.

Abitibi

Explorer
So... have you considered adding a hydraulic lift system for the cab?
BTW, that cab looks like it is in very nice condition.
As Kiwi said, this truck comes factory with an hydraulic tilt. No brute force required, easy!

Abitibi

Explorer
Some more grinding today to get rid of the steel sideboards. This will allow me to temporarely mount the small fuel tank.

Once I get the habitat box to my place I'll know how to design the sub-frame and what size of fuel tanks (x2) I can fit.

ee6edf77b9056ad176a761ba4192fffc.jpg
624ed4447c766acd73a26c2f80e165e6.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The difference is night and day, no more pulling the engine just to change glowplugs, just tilt the cab and its right there!

She looks good!
9166dbe28e5e3bbab189ff08d26ef24e.jpg

Agh... that reminds me, I've got a set of glow plugs sitting in a drawer waiting. While I'm at it, HPOP, fuel pump, rebuilt fuel bowl, and low mileage injectors. They've been waiting a few years, and they'll likely be a few more. If I could flip up the cab they'd be already done. What should be an easy weekend job is a major nightmare that even many mechanics don't like to touch.

Fortunately, a monster glow plug relay got the glow plugs working again decently... and the fuel economy has been good, and nothing has been giving me grief.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Some more grinding today to get rid of the steel sideboards. This will allow me to temporarely mount the small fuel tank.

Once I get the habitat box to my place I'll know how to design the sub-frame and what size of fuel tanks (x2) I can fit.

ee6edf77b9056ad176a761ba4192fffc.jpg
624ed4447c766acd73a26c2f80e165e6.jpg

Well done! All the welded components on mine are fairly rusted as well. Did your box come with the strut assisted ladder lowering mechanism on the right side? I was thinking of pulling mine off and am working up a plan to make it a lowering bike rack hitch.

This is going to be one of the most epic rigs on this forum!

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks!

Only rust was on the sideboards which I'm almost done removing. It can with a ladder holder that would lock it in place but no struts involved. Now just working on temporarily relocating the fuel tank and as I type this I just figured out where it used to be! So no drilling needed, it will bolt right on the side frame! Coolio!!! That simplify things, lol

Next I wanna hit the scale.

Btw, I also noticed they shorten the frame! I love how maneuverable it is but wouldn't mind an extra foot or two of wheelbase!
a3f5ea613f047aeb7774bf51e0cde3c6.jpg
56e4bd2abee9db7346179255a8670404.jpg

0ef34d0a0aab41f94a1c741e0247026f.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke