Canadian brother Patrol GQ TD42T build up

jfarsang

Adventurer
Good friend of mine has his Patrol (brother Patrol!) nicely built up and still building here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52036-Canadian-Patrol-GQ-build-up

I've sold my 5spd 91 and just imported a 95 auto with factory turbo and camping kit.

Mechanically it is rock solid. Frame is solid along with body panels and interior in in great shape. Some rust issues in the rear I will have blasted and fully repaired this summer.

For those wondering what parts are like in Canada/US for these things, you can walk into any North American Nissan dealership and order any part off this thing including body panels. It's pretty neat. I've never had a vehicle with true global parts support. I ordered brakes from my local dealership and they came from Nissan in Oregon. Very convenient.

I plan to do similiar things with it what I did to my last Patrol/Safari here:

6837676841_7745272bae_b.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/58351-Fun-in-BC-Canada-with-a-Nissan-Patrol

Here's the goods:

1995 Nissan Safari Y60 (Patrol GQ)
Kingsroad edition (top of the line trim/accessories)
TD42T 4.2L Turbo diesel
Auto transmission
Rear differential locker
Large retractable moon roof

Options ordered from factory:
White exterior color (usually reserved for UN/work grade trucks)
Camping kit (rear outfitted with bed/stove/storage)

Mods/upgrade to be done right away:

Auxiliary transmission cooler
Transmission shift kit
Pyro/Boost/Trans temp gauges
285/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac's on 16x8 wheels
Remove all chrome body/accessory parts & replace/repaint black

Mods/upgrades to be done in the near future:

OME 2" suspension lift
DIY 1" body lift
Fabricating front/rear tube bars
8274 front mount winch
side tube sliders
Top mount intercooler
Interior cabinets/bed/bench platform for camping
roof rack with center open section = removable skylight/box to have interior standing room for cooking/etc..

Pictures:

6590404969_2625010b81_b.jpg

6590405515_c5e8a396e8_b.jpg

6590406165_8ff14781d5_b.jpg

6590411281_42f6b43a2a_b.jpg

6590415321_917f07cc34_b.jpg

6590413489_9d17c35954_b.jpg

6590411837_30abd6fb51_b.jpg

Last edited:

jfarsang

Adventurer
Fresh boots, brakes and fluids.

Goodyear Duratrac 285/75/16's on 16x8 steelies

Suspension lift kit on it's way.

Fluid changes are fun.

Engine - 12.5L
Coolant - 14.5L
Transmission/tcase - 11L
Diff - 5.9L

Some good carbon buildup in the intake manifold so will clean it out when the mani gaskets arrive. Walk into local Nissan dealer. Give them part #. 1-2 weeks. Boom. Ready to pick up from Japan. Love global Nissan parts.

chrome is disappearing slowly and being replaced by Mr. Satin Black

Purrs like a kitten. Soft idle until you hammer the throttle. Turbo pickup is smooth. I can't believe the difference in noise/ride compared to the older GQ/Y60's. This one feels almost identical to the Y61 I drove in the UK. All in all, an enjoyable JDM project rig to work on.

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 15

pathguy

Nice rig! Did I used to see your old one parked around Kitsilano in Vancouver (BC)? Could have sworn I used to see a very similar Patrol up until a few months ago.

If you're indeed from the Lower Mainland, I'd be curious to hear where you get your parts from and work done (though it sounds like your doing lots of the work yourself). I'm going to need some work on the Pathy soon and am not sure where to go to around here.

Also, it seems you really like the DuraTracs. Can you comment on their grip in the rain and/or snow? Curious if the compound is too hard for our winters.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress...keep us updated!

jfarsang

Adventurer
Yep. That was mine in kits. You'll see this one there next week from now on.

Duratracs are perfect. Best all year tire I've had. My family's up in whistler so I'm back and forth all winter and the Duratrac's are as close to a dedicated snow tire as you can get. Grip well and compound stays soft even past -20. Can't beat it in our climate/environment.

Cheers

Abitibi

Explorer
My dream truck.....I am jealous!

Your dream could be a reality pretty soon RMP&O... 1988's model aren't much different than what we have here! Heck, find yourself a nice one this coming year and I can help you import it here in Canada and hold it for you 'till she's ready to cross South... :)

If you want to test drive one, myself and another friend will be at OverlandExpo and GoneMoab with our Patrols this May. Seeing how passionate you are about these rigs I'd be happy to let you give her a good try!

Cheers
Mr. D

Last edited:

roninjiro

Explorer
Some good carbon buildup in the intake manifold so will clean it out when the mani gaskets arrive. Walk into local Nissan dealer. Give them part #. 1-2 weeks. Boom. Ready to pick up from Japan. Love global Nissan parts.

I wonder if I can do that with a nissan dealership here in the states....

jfarsang

Adventurer
of course. Nissan is global. So long as you have the part number that shows up in FAST, you can order almost anywhere.

On a side note, some more progress

shed most of the chrome bits
snorkel added
injectors re&re
seafoam IP treatment
2" OME lift installed w/ procomp 9000 shocks

Ride is much better. Not harsh as I had anticipated with HD coils.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 14

jfarsang

Adventurer
Icom 2300H VHF radio w/ 2m antenna install

Slid right into the stock ashtray location without fitment issues.

Chose the Icom because they are local 20mins away, on sale at a ham swap meet booth and small form factor.

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.JPG

photo-7.JPG

jfarsang

Adventurer
Front procomp shocks fitted.

A lot more downtravel than I had anticipated (good thing). Need to grab 1/2" springs spacers to compensate for the springs dropping down.

Manual hubs fitted (my auto's self destructed)

downtravelfront.jpg

manualhub.jpg

Went offroading for the first time since I got it near Chilliwack with a bunch of other Safari's. If you look closely, you'll see the marker for advanced ATV trail.:elkgrin:

20120401_152753.jpg

P1030275.JPG

464781de-cced-e81e.jpg

464781de-cd2d-dc98.jpg

20120401_185547.jpg

P1030278.JPG

20120401_153527.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Your dream could be a reality pretty soon RMP&O... 1988's model aren't much different than what we have here! Heck, find yourself a nice one this coming year and I can help you import it here in Canada and hold it for you 'till she's ready to cross South... :)

If you want to test drive one, myself and another friend will be at OverlandExpo and GoneMoab with our Patrols this May. Seeing how passionate you are about these rigs I'd be happy to let you give her a good try!

Cheers
Mr. D

Thanks Mr.D!!

I have actually driven the Y60 and Y61. Driven everything but the 4.2TD. Drove a brand new 3L TD in Colombia back in 2004, it was a SWB and had more pep then I thought it would.

I had planned to import one for a long time, the Y60 that is. I have given up on that now. Importing and owning an imported truck (also something I have done) is expensive. You guys got lot's more parts support up there, not much for parts down here. I don't want to have to import every part I need for the truck. I know I can order though the Nissan dealers but again, do not want to deal with it. Aftermarket stuff is expensive too, lockers, turbos, suspension, crawler gears, ect ect ect.

I have converted and am now getting out of Patrols. I would say I am a Land Cruiser guy but that is not entirely true. My new truck is a Cruiser with a Nissan Patrol engine! ;)

Perhaps some day when I live in Central America I will own another Patrol, they are dirt cheap in Panama. Until then I am giving the trucks a break.

Oh yea and sweet pictures!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior