Canada to Baja and beyond

seahaul

It was hard to leave the beautiful sandy beaches of San Felipe, but there are more of those to come! We stocked up on some groceries at the Calimax. It was nice to see they were doing temperature checks and lots of sanitizing at the door. Good little grocery with great quality produce. I got a tip to grab some fresh prawns from a guy selling them on the corner across from Calimax. Sure enough, he was there and they were huge. A kg for around $200 pesos. Our destination for the day was Bahia de los Angeles, 330km. The road was descent and we arrived in the late afternoon. Not much going on in town, but we stopped and grabbed some ice cold beers and headed out to La Gringa, north of town. We drove around the beach looking for a place to set up camp for a couple nights. Being sand newbies, we forgot to air down the tires and promptly got ourselves stuck! Just as quick we were unstuck .. the new maxtrax work like a dream! We set up and hopped in the cool, but crystal clear water for a swim. Just at dark a couple came around to collect $ for camping. The woman explained her husband was hired by the owner of the land to keep the beaches clean and collect Campers garbage. She was the local Dr. in town and said she hoped we wouldn’t ever need her services lol. She promised someone would be back tomorrow to collect our garbage and sure enough they did. 200 pesos for two nights on a garbage free beach :)
All seemed perfect until one of us started to have an upset stomach close to bed time... Lori was certain she knew what she had done. Backup a day to San Felipe.. A guy in a truck came by with pineapples in the back. Lori thought, oh awesome, I’ll buy a pina. Turned out he was selling pina colada’s, I knew soon as i heard a blender start I wasn’t getting a whole pineapple. My first thought is covid.. and so I immediately poured the fancy drink into our own two glasses for us to share and sanitized my hands. BIG mistake, should have just thrown it away but I couldn’t bring myself to, we know better ..back to our first night at La Gringa and Cory is violently vomiting outside the camper. We managed to still enjoy sunrise swims and lots of naps to feel better. Woke up to a pod of dolphins right outside our camper window and the bird watching was just amazing. Well worth the stop ?
F11EA4C3-9DAF-45CD-A2F9-092F73D43796.jpeg66E2F98D-F597-4880-A701-744C53C1F36A.jpeg9B932C11-96EE-42AE-A171-126D61A17F79.jpeg3C4837AA-9C4C-49BB-B205-03F947B6952F.jpeg3ECA3A05-0609-4DA7-A00D-B49FAB916413.jpeg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Extremely jealous, our rig is waiting in cold and snowy Wisconsin waiting to leave. Have a house in Mulege, and bought a boat in BOLA sight unseen other than pictures. Wife’s mother is not doing well, so have to stay here for the time being. Arghghghgh!

Attachments

• 38D5BFA2-13A5-40FC-82E8-4CE2D0EC2343.jpeg
    38D5BFA2-13A5-40FC-82E8-4CE2D0EC2343.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 76
You're bringing back memories of our trip in February/March! We made it all the way up and down the peninsula right before all the shelter-in-place stuff started going into effect. That Calimex in San Felipe is a good one. Sorry you got sick. :/

seahaul

Bahia de los Angeles has such natural beauty.. it really is a special spot but it can get WINDY! We had a super windy second night and decided, with sand in our teeth, the next morning it was time to move on. To be honest we weren‘t sure where our next stop would be but were liking the 3-5 hour driving days, so we landed in San Ignacio. 342km. Also wanted to mention, we’ve been through serveral military check points on our baja journey so far. They are really no big deal. Generally ask where did you come from and where are you going. The odd time they might ask you to open the camper, but most often not and just wave you through. All good.
While driving around town looking at our camping options, Cory spotted a Canadian flag on the gate of San Ignacio Springs B&B and it looked gorgeous. Small and quaint they have several yurt options and we decided to grab one. A hot shower (get off all that sand), a margarita or cerveza and hot breakfast in the morning. Highly recommend! San Ignacio is an oasis in the middle of the desert with lush green date palms and a very cool eighteenth century Jesuit Mission. This little town has some serious charm and we’ll be back again for sure. The Mission was closed, but I’ve since heard you can contact the Priest and he will give private tours. Another recommendation is Rancho Grande Restaurant & Bar. Loved this town!DD84CB49-0F24-40D8-BDAD-66151CFEDAF3.jpeg018790D4-414C-44EA-9375-4A092FB15AD7.jpeg8AD29C65-92CD-428D-A9A9-0E06B577F4F2.jpeg00D96CF7-2FBD-43E8-B98F-ED1AAE3CC8AF.jpegEA10A4EA-3E02-416E-AE7F-BFF76FF37B2A.jpeg

seahaul

Another 300Km took us to Playa Juncalito; you’ll find this beautiful beach after passing Loreto and just before you get to Puerto Escondido. If you look for the big blue Juncalito National park sign and turn left, it will take you down a sand trail to a big wide open beach. It was a Sunday so there was a lot of locals enjoying a beach day. Once it started to get dark we were one of three camping overnight. It was a beautiful sunset and we fell asleep to the sound of the waves.
On the way down the coast we were drooling at all the camping spots along the ocean that we’ll be back to enjoy in a few months on the way back... It was hard not to stop in Bahia Conception but we knew the prime dive season in Cabo Pulmo was ticking away, so we needed to keep heading south. Our goal is to get as much diving in as we can in November and early December.C35570E5-5D31-4D6F-B4DF-01BEEA802239.jpeg133534C2-34A6-48A2-9996-CAA9057557D7.jpeg515DEFEA-AB20-486A-A076-0EF7E44E9E62.jpeg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Bahia de los Angeles has such natural beauty.. it really is a special spot but it can get WINDY! We had a super windy second night and decided, with sand in our teeth, the next morning it was time to move on. To be honest we weren‘t sure where our next stop would be but were liking the 3-5 hour driving days, so we landed in San Ignacio. 342km. Also wanted to mention, we’ve been through serveral military check points on our baja journey so far. They are really no big deal. Generally ask where did you come from and where are you going. The odd time they might ask you to open the camper, but most often not and just wave you through. All good.
While driving around town looking at our camping options, Cory spotted a Canadian flag on the gate of San Ignacio Springs B&B and it looked gorgeous. Small and quaint they have several yurt options and we decided to grab one. A hot shower (get off all that sand), a margarita or cerveza and hot breakfast in the morning. Highly recommend! San Ignacio is an oasis in the middle of the desert with lush green date palms and a very cool eighteenth century Jesuit Mission. This little town has some serious charm and we’ll be back again for sure. The Mission was closed, but I’ve since heard you can contact the Priest and he will give private tours. Another recommendation is Rancho Grande Restaurant & Bar. Loved this town!View attachment 626904View attachment 626905View attachment 626906View attachment 626907View attachment 626908
I visited in 1975. Pretty little town with a lot of history. We were returning from Punta Abreojos.

Kevox

We were at our house in San Felipe at that time...sorry we missed you. We will be back there next week, We loved Bahia de los Angeles and stayed twice at Campo Archelon...magic!. We also loved wild camping in Punta Abreochos, Hacienda de la Havana in Mulege, and all the campos of Bahia Concepcion...

tedujam

Just did this trip last month.

Loveland, CO
Moab, UT
Las Vegas
San Diego
Tijuana
Enseneda
Bahia de Los Angeles
Mulege
Bahia Concepcion
Loreto
La Paz
Cabo Pulmo
La Ventana
La Paz to Mazatlan, then 20 other places

Let me know if you need any recommendations!~

Just did this trip last month.

Loveland, CO
Moab, UT
Las Vegas
San Diego
Tijuana
Enseneda
Bahia de Los Angeles
Mulege
Bahia Concepcion
Loreto
La Paz
Cabo Pulmo
La Ventana
La Paz to Mazatlan, then 20 other places

Let me know if you need any recommendations!~

You did that in a month? ?We spent four-and-a-half weeks doing Tecate to Cabo and back up this past winter, and that felt way too fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles