Can you make a electric travel cooler out of a Mermite food container?

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have used one of these: Amazon.com: Koolatron Slim Compact P20 Thermoelectric Iceless 12V Cooler Warmer, 17L / 18 Quart Capacity, For Camping, Travel, Truck, SUV, Car, Boat, RV, Trailer, Tailgating, Made in North America: Automotive for ~10 years and it has been great when I have pre cooled food +some ice to start. Can usually get ~5-7 days of cooled food if I run it 24-7

I bought one of these: German Mermite Food Container, 4 Gallon - 3 parts (military-tent.com) because of the convenience of being able to use the variety of different Jerry can storage options on my Jeep JKUR. I have limited room and there is no room for a traditional fridge when I am packing the family (me +3) into the jeep / ursa minor.

It works ok and I am going to get an insulated cover but was also thinking of trying to make it perform similar to the linked Koolatron. Not looking for super efficient, more something that helps stem the melting of ice while traveling for up to a week. I realize buying a purpose built fridge is the easier answer but it defeats the purpose of storing it external to the vehicle as a jerry can (i.e. please don't start recommending fridges as that is not the point).

I have been looking at Peltier elements on youtube, which seems to be the go to for make your own fridges. Has anyone done something like this or have advice on making something like this? I am thinking make an alternative lid with a Peltier element in it so that I don't cut into the container and could still seal it up for those times when I don't have/want to limit use of 12volt power. Open to suggestions on alternative ways to do this and any advice on design ideas. Thank you.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have a dual battery system and a goal zero yeti 400. I was planning on using just one at the top ( something like this: ) but I don't know enough to say if that is right or not.

I usually start off with everything frozen and ice so this would just be a supplement.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That system is a power hog and will only cool about 40 degrees lower than ambient temps. Not very efficient, especially in hot weather .

JDaPP

Adventurer
Understood, however for what I am trying to accomplish based off of space/fitting in the footprint of a Jerry can I don't see many other options.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I agree with the convenience of making something fit a Jerry can footprint, I’ve done that with my diesel heater. It would be fun to mess around with a peltier cooler, and for $22 you could have hours of entertainment at a workbench, but I’m not sure it can prolong ice life. There just isn’t enough heat in the container with the ice to be moved by the cooler at a measurable or noticeable rate? At least that is my guess.

You might be better off figuring out a semi permanent mount for a better cooler, Yeti or Clone, that is super well insulated? But, with only $22 and time to waste, I say try it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles