Can winter storage damage shocks like my 5160s

Fargo

Adventurer
Over the last few years my Jeep (2005 LJ Rubicon) has become more of a summer vehicle that only sees about 5000 miles a year. Several years ago I purchased Bilstein 5160s thinking that they would last 50,000+ miles and I wouldn't need to worry about shocks for a long time. But much to my disappointment my Bilsteins only seem to last around 20,000-25,000 miles. They usually seem to fail in the spring or in the middle of winter if I decide to take it out for a drive. WIth winter coming I am concerned about my shocks again this year.

What is your experience with 5160s. Is winter storage hard on them or is 20,000-25,000 miles all I should expect out of them? Whats going on with my shocks? This is mostly highway driving. Not hard offroad.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What is the mode of failure you are seeing? Leaks? Corrosion? Worn out?

I don’t have to deal with winter, but I have noticed that my AEV Bilsteins leak after about 25-35k miles on my JKU. They leak oil long before they fail to damp oscillation, and I’ve replaced a few (maybe 5?) “good shocks” just because they leak and I don’t want to run to total failure. It hasn’t been enough to change brands quite yet... shocks are disposable wear items.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Have you called Bilstein and ask? They have a mileage warranty they should honor and unless they say "Must be used continuously" it shouldn't matter. My guess something to do with temperature cycles on the seals or condensation is freezing inside but those are only wild ass guesses.

Fargo

Adventurer
My shock failures usually first show signs of leaking oil. Then the end caps have come off, followed by more oil loss and shock failure. I put new springs on my Jeep a few weeks ago and when I was reinstalling the rear shocks, one of them had considerably less force than the other. That is to say, it was much easier to push one shock in than the other. But it did still have resistance. So I wonder if I might be loosing the nitrogen charge first.

I did talk to someone at Bilstein, but he didn't really know what was happening. The short answer was that shock life depends on use, but for a daily driver it should should last much longer than what I have been getting out of them. He did say that winter storage might be an issue if the seals are drying up from sitting and then getting twisted out of place when the shocks are in use again if everything is dry. He didn't really have an answer. He kind of just went along with what I was speculating might be happening. So the answer that Dave has up above is as good of a guess as anything.

I realize shocks are a disposable item, but 5160s are $200+/- each for a new set. I was hoping to get more than 20,000 miles out of an $800 set of shocks. I was considering getting some Fox but they are even more expensive a at $1120 for a set of 4 similar remote resi shocks. And I still have the possible risk of having issues over winter. Not to mention I don't know how they will ride. Although Fox can be custom tuned and people seem to really like them.

Since my 5160s can be rebuilt for $120 each plus shipping, I might just go that route. But even at $500+/- for the set, it adds up quick if I need to do this every few winters. I just cant figure it out. A friend got close to 100,000 on his AEV bilsteins that he drove every day summer and winter. So my thought was storage and lack of lubrication. But I also threw on some old Ranchos as temporary fix when my front shock failed and they worked fine after sitting around for 5+/- years. So why didn't winter storage affect them? Twintube vs Monotube?

Anyway, I'm open to hear any ideas or comments on how Bilstien shocks have lasted for others. Thanks for sharing

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FWIW, I have 2.5" non-reservoir FOX. You have to rebuild them to get life (about every 30,000 in what I'd call typical mixed use, e.g. not full on pro racing but not all mall crawling) and the bodies do rust if you don't stay on top of them. My first rebuild was when we still lived near Denver and had a guy. Now I'm weighing collecting tools and learning to tune and rebuild them myself next time now that I don't have anyone local that does it. But it might be easier just to put OME and be done and sell these for cheap to someone willing to do the service. On my previous truck I went from Rancho to KYB to OME and wanted on this one to try the high end. Just my $0.02, not worth the scratch. They work well, no doubt, but not 2x to almost 3x OME better. Especially factoring in rebuild cost and time to get the longer life.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Sounds like more of a manufacturing/poor material issue then an environment issue (or usage issue). I recently had to replace (4) BFG AT's after only approx 8k miles due to dangerous shoulder cracking due to poor rubber/manufacturing. If you can show mileage/use within the warranty period get them replaced.
This is our typical winter and I have Rancho, Monroe, OME, 47 year old oem Toyota shocks, Chevy factory shocks and none of them have failed like you describe. Good luck!

426FA13F-572D-4FB0-BF1C-4FA26AD39E9A.jpeg

roving1

I can't comment to the down period but I have seen enough fail just driving around Detroit winter roads that I don't even consider Bilsteins at all.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not sure where that leads me.

It sounds like Fox shocks are not the solution since they too may require a regular rebuild to keep working smoothly. Thank you Dave for your input. By the way I thought Fox were aluminum, what gets rusty on them?

Bilstein sound like they are all over the board. I have a friend that has had great luck. Mine had issues. Roving1 doesn't consider them in Detroit due to failures he has seen and Shovel has not had any trouble for 2 decades. There must be something that causes such diverse experience.

I may just rebuild my 5160s in the spring and give them another try. Otherwise I may need to move over to OME and see how they work. Unfortunately I hear the Sport Shocks ride rougher than the Bilstien and I love the digressive rebound on the Billy's. So I have concerns about OME as well.

SVTRIT

Could you losses them up for the winter? Would keep pressure off of them help? I like to put my Jeep on jack stands at the frame to keep weight off of them for the 3 months we hibernate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fargo

Adventurer
Could you losses them up for the winter? Would keep pressure off of them help? I like to put my Jeep on jack stands at the frame to keep weight off of them for the 3 months we hibernate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if that is right solution or not. I read an article on storing Corvettes that said blocking up the vehicle and leaving the shocks fully extended can cause the seals to compress. Also, somewhere along the line it was pointed out that new shocks are shipped in a closed position. Although that could simply be to keep the package smaller.

Here is the Corvette article

So far my best solution idea is to just go jump on the bumper every few weeks. Or just drive it once a month.

billiebob

Over the last few years my Jeep (2005 LJ Rubicon) has become more of a summer vehicle that only sees about 5000 miles a year. Several years ago I purchased Bilstein 5160s thinking that they would last 50,000+ miles and I wouldn't need to worry about shocks for a long time. But much to my disappointment my Bilsteins only seem to last around 20,000-25,000 miles. They usually seem to fail in the spring or in the middle of winter if I decide to take it out for a drive. WIth winter coming I am concerned about my shocks again this year.

What is your experience with 5160s. Is winter storage hard on them or is 20,000-25,000 miles all I should expect out of them? Whats going on with my shocks? This is mostly highway driving. Not hard offroad.
I'll say that depends on where you live. And adding where you live on yer profile would help.

Living in Yellowknife where winter starts in October and ends in May with temperature well below -40 for months, every vehicle we had blew the seals and needed new shocks or struts come spring. I have yet to find shocks which last much more than a year and when I replace them the difference is obvious altho they are not leaking or anything, shocks just seem to wear out. I quit buying expensive ones 20 years ago.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thanks billiebob. I live in ND. So it gets pretty cold. One of the shocks did blow out when I was driving it in the cold. The other shock failed in the middle of summer. But it was also driven in the cold. The Jeep wasn't always stored in the winter. So its possible the initial damage was done during the cold drive and not during the storage period.

EDIT:
I can't seem to update my account at the moment. But thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
I live in SoCal and 3 of my 4 AEV Bilstein 5100 series shocks started leaking after about 50k. I ended up going with the adjustable Rancho RS9000 series as a replacement due to their performance on washboard roads. To be honest, I don't adjust them very often so I'm not sure the adjustable feature is worth it but they have held up well for the last 40k. My JK is on the heavy side and I frequently tow and off road trailer. IMHO, the ride/performance on the lowest setting is similar to the Bilsteins.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Bilstein doesn't warranty the 5160's like they do the regular shocks. 90 days I think. Basically manufacturing defects only. I put probably 50-60k miles with no probelms on a set on my 2500 Ram but never any hard winters. They were still doing fine when I sold the truck.

Grassland

My 5160s are looking rough but seem decent so far after 3 winters. Truck sits a week or two at a time without moving since 2018. Only 30-40k kilometers tho.
Hearing what I have from a shop that lifts trucks all day the Fox stuff doesn't care for winter and needs rebuilding. For the price point they are I'll pass.
The Billie's were cheap. I have 5100 front and 5160 rear (I think that's number, generic remote reservoir)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior