Can winter storage damage shocks like my 5160s

Fargo

Adventurer
My 5160s are looking rough but seem decent so far after 3 winters. Truck sits a week or two at a time without moving since 2018. Only 30-40k kilometers tho.
Hearing what I have from a shop that lifts trucks all day the Fox stuff doesn't care for winter and needs rebuilding. For the price point they are I'll pass.
The Billie's were cheap. I have 5100 front and 5160 rear (I think that's number, generic remote reservoir)

I'm starting to see that the Fox shocks are not the end all be all that so many make them out to be. Sounds like my Billies might still be the best option for me.

Do you drive your truck all winter long? I wonder how much difference it makes in regards to lubrication of the seals if it sits for 2 weeks vs 5-6 months. I'm still uncertain if my issue is from sitting without use or if I did damage some other way at one time.

Grassland

I'm starting to see that the Fox shocks are not the end all be all that so many make them out to be. Sounds like my Billies might still be the best option for me.

Do you drive your truck all winter long? I wonder how much difference it makes in regards to lubrication of the seals if it sits for 2 weeks vs 5-6 months. I'm still uncertain if my issue is from sitting without use or if I did damage some other way at one time.
The truck is driven, but will sit for a week or two on end without moving. I have noted in extreme cold (and it gets to -30 Celsius and colder) that I've seen shock oil leaking. I am leaning towards the long term lack of motion being the biggest culprit in your situation, but am no expert.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thanks for your input. It really does seem like its long term lack of motion that causes the problem. As the old saying goes 'Use it or loose it'. I also have a 2002 Maxima that will sometimes sit for 2-3 weeks without being driven. That vehicle has a brake caliper that will often seize up if its not driven. So I have experience with other items failing from lack of use as well.

My current plan is to rebuild the 5160s next spring. Then I'll try to drive it more often through out the winter so everything stays lubed. I guess I'll see from there what happens. Thanks the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles