Can we talk coffee brewing?

86scotty

Cynic
I make a quart of double strength COLD brewed coffee every 4/5 days. Mix the double strength cold brew concentrate 50/50 with water in what ever size mug. Heat but don’t boil for the best cup of coffee on the planet. I drank hot brewed coffee with cream for 30 years until I found cold brew 15 years ago. Now just straight black and I’m never going back to hot brewed coffee.

I’m gonna have to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ns7i

I'm also part of the Aeropress gang, especially for travel. I pair it with a nice hand burr grinder and some locally roasted beans from wherever I'm traveling. Delicious and convenient.

I normally use a Coleman stove but just bought a Jetboil for quickier, easier, coffee.

jadmt

ignore button user
Aeropress filters are under $4 for 350 of them. The press it self is like $25. the beauty of it makes great coffee and there is no mess. when you are done pressing the coffee is compacted and pops out in a little plug and there is no clean up. The plunger is clean. Nothing like a french press and takes up about the same room as my pour over cup. I have used pour over for 30 years and the aeropress is by far quicker and for me makes better coffee. I understand if a person does not want to try one but I have tried all methods while camping and I would hate to leave it at home.

Attachments

• FD444FDF-F8D5-4947-AFB7-B314961689E6_1_201_a.jpeg
    FD444FDF-F8D5-4947-AFB7-B314961689E6_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47

ricoisme26

I make a quart of double strength COLD brewed coffee every 4/5 days. Mix the double strength cold brew concentrate 50/50 with water in what ever size mug. Heat but don’t boil for the best cup of coffee on the planet. I drank hot brewed coffee with cream for 30 years until I found cold brew 15 years ago. Now just straight black and I’m never going back to hot brewed coffee.

Please elaborate on your set up for making the cold brew, I played with cold brew in the past but its been a few years, if I recall I used paper tea bags filled with the coffee and pinched in the lid of a mason jar in the fridge over night, I did drink that with cream but in the following years I've transitioned to black coffee most days. Never thought to heat the cold brewed coffee. Been on the hunt for new daily coffee brewing method as my Keurig with a reusable basket has been less than stellar at brewing a good cup of black coffee, sure is a real chore to fit in in the truck for trips not to mention finding an outlet to plug it in. /s

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't like being locked into using a proprietary little disk filter but otherwise they seem OK to me.

The initial purchase price includes so many filters that I've yet to buy replacements. That said, they're just regular filter paper, cut into 2.5" circles. In a pinch, or if you really didn't want to buy from Aeropress, you could cut your own from regular off-the-shelf filters. A #4 cone would probably yield 4 discs.

For anyone using Aeropress for travel, be aware that they've also introduced a new "Go" version that packs down even smaller than the original:

CSG

Explorer
We've tried everything.
The only one that stuck is a simple single cup pour-over with a paper filter.

For one HUGE reason. Pretty well every other way required cleanup and wasting water.
With a simple pour over you just pitch the grinds and filter into the garbage. Done.
Zero mess, zero water wasted.
I'm with you. Pourover is what we do at home (I do like Moka pot coffee though so I will go through the hassle of clean-up a few times a week) but traveling, strictly pourover. I'm surprised there's so much love for the Aeropress but it's not something I liked.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The initial purchase price includes so many filters that I've yet to buy replacements. That said, they're just regular filter paper, cut into 2.5" circles. In a pinch, or if you really didn't want to buy from Aeropress, you could cut your own from regular off-the-shelf filters. A #4 cone would probably yield 4 discs.

For anyone using Aeropress for travel, be aware that they've also introduced a new "Go" version that packs down even smaller than the original:
Good to know. It's not so much that it requires a specific filter or the price (which sounds reasonable enough) but just finding yourself in small market without any options. So if cutting paper filters is an option that makes it less of a factor, for me anyway. Just wasn't sure how rigid they had to be.

sourdoughben

Please elaborate on your set up for making the cold brew, I played with cold brew in the past but its been a few years, if I recall I used paper tea bags filled with the coffee and pinched in the lid of a mason jar in the fridge over night, I did drink that with cream but in the following years I've transitioned to black coffee most days. Never thought to heat the cold brewed coffee. Been on the hunt for new daily coffee brewing method as my Keurig with a reusable basket has been less than stellar at brewing a good cup of black coffee, sure is a real chore to fit in in the truck for trips not to mention finding an outlet to plug it in. /s

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Good to know. It's not so much that it requires a specific filter or the price (which sounds reasonable enough) but just finding yourself in small market without any options. So if cutting paper filters is an option that makes it less of a factor, for me anyway. Just wasn't sure how rigid they had to be.

Understood, and it's a valid concern if you're going super-long-term. I keep a small stack of them in an old peppermint tin in my coffee kit. If I stuffed it full, it'd be enough filters for a couple of months of daily use.

The aftermarket has also come up with reusable mesh filters, since some people prefer the "crema" produced with those. My objection to the reusable filter comes back to the need to rinse it/clean it, which was the whole reason I switched to Aeropress to begin with. :D

plh

Explorer
Pour-over on the road (paper) and at home (stainless screen). My wife is a Moka luver, me not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles