Can we get a separate "E-bike/Moped" forum?

Howard70

Adventurer
Oh no! No metric "Centuries". That would make me 107 metric years old....

I'm taking my rides every other day in a debatable attempt to get more recovery. I'd like to get 800 miles in this month so rides ought to be 50 miles, but I miss one and that makes catching up harder. When I used to ride daily it was a lot easier to rack up high mileage but I have trouble riding reasonably so that usually resulted in every day being a hammerfest. I thought it couldn't hurt and it was fun! About two years ago several visits to a cardiologist led to reading "The Haywire Heart." Wish I'd of read that when I was 30...

Of course this isn't the appropriate sub-forum because if I was smart enough to tolerate an E-Bike I could ride every day again!

Howard

Weeds

Adventurer
A moped is not an ebike. Moped should be in a motorcycle forum. I own and emtb, class I (no throttle} and I cannot go any faster than a regular bicycle. The motor only helps this 70 year old body get up the hills.

MTVR

A moped is not an ebike. Moped should be in a motorcycle forum. I own and emtb, class I (no throttle} and I cannot go any faster than a regular bicycle. The motor only helps this 70 year old body get up the hills.

An "e-bike" most definitely IS a moped- that's what the word "moped" means- motor and pedals.

marret

Definitions really depend on the state. See below for VA:

Moped:
"Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that (i) has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; (ii) has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that (a) displaces 50 cubic centimeters or less or (b) has an input of 1500 watts or less; (iii) is power-driven, with or without pedals that allow propulsion by human power; and (iv) is not operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. "Moped" does not include an electric power-assisted bicycle or a motorized skateboard or scooter. For purposes of this title, a moped shall be a motorcycle when operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), a moped shall be a vehicle while operated on a highway.

Electric power-assisted bicycle:
"Electric power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power, (ii) a seat for the use of the rider, and (iii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 750 watts. Electric power-assisted bicycles shall be classified as follows:
1. "Class one" means an electric power-assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour;
2. "Class two" means an electric power-assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; and
3. "Class three" means an electric power-assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour.
For the purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a highway.

Bicycle:
"Bicycle" means a device propelled solely by human power, upon which a person may ride either on or astride a regular seat attached thereto, having two or more wheels in tandem, including children's bicycles, except a toy vehicle intended for use by young children. For purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), a bicycle shall be a vehicle while operated on the highway.

Virginia Code Link

Last edited:

MTVR

mo·ped
/ˈmōˌped/
noun
a low-power, lightweight motorized bicycle.

E-bikes are a type of moped.

Some states have different laws for that particular type of moped, so they've had to come up with different labels for them, and those different labels don't always make sense- for example, the restricted motor scooters that many states label as "mopeds", are not mopeds at all- they don't even have pedals.

marret

You are just citing a definition, I cited a different one. Definitions can change.

Here is another, note "motorcycle", “motorcycle engine” and "pedals". E-bikes are not motorcycles nor have motorcycle engines.
The term moped (/ˈmoʊpɛd/ MOH-ped) originally referred to a type of small motorcycle with both a motorcycle engine and bicycle pedals, generally having a less stringent licensing requirement than full motorcycles or automobiles. The term is now often used to mean a similar vehicle except with no pedals. Mopeds typically travel only a bit faster than bicycles on public roads. Mopeds are distinguished from scooters in that the latter tend to be more powerful and subject to more regulation.

VA does not define e-bicycles as a type of moped. At the end of the day, how states define them is what matters to users along with any title or registration and use requirements.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste