Can the iPad really be used as an out-of-signal range, off-road GPS device?

MiamiC70

iPads without cellular do not have GPS

I also like ipad much better than android when running Gaia even though the android version has features I would like to have with Gaia for iPad.
But they do have bluet and can pair with a myriad of devices to get GPS data.

I the big issue for me has been data. I want to use Gaia. And am about to purchase a new iPhone. I was just wandering. Around the internet and I searched additional storage for iPad. What I found was these nifty little devices that plug into you charging port and hold up to about 256g of data the end that isn’t plugged into the iPad or iPhone has a charging port also So in theory you could buy a few of these. Download lots of data
( maps) on each one and have preloaded maps for every where you would want. So the big question is has anyone tried one of these out? Leef ibridge 3. The write up is on Mac world uk. Love to hear what everyone thinks of these?

Surfy

Adventurer
I did crossing africa with the iPad as GPS Solution. Some parts just following the way Google Hybrid Satellite View will lead. It is still my primary Navigation-Device, soon i left the coverage of the built in Sat-Nav (Europe).

Many Apps help us overlanders too, like iOverlander, Park4night.

Unfortunately the way to download 20 Gigabyte of Offline-Google Satellite view is over. But today you can precache a lot, are able to buy cheap local sims with data packages in the most parts of the world... Precaching the next days with no coverage is easy.

Did use ipad 1-2 and ipadair - over the years - anytime with simcard-

A lot of Apps offer offline roadmaps like maps.me, here - offer download offroad tracks and so on.

moose545

So long as you had offline maps you could use iPad for maps display, then use Bluetooth to connect say the Garmin Explorer In Reach+ for accurate GPS position and a map reference on it.

shade

So long as you had offline maps you could use iPad for maps display, then use Bluetooth to connect say the Garmin Explorer In Reach+ for accurate GPS position and a map reference on it.
Is it possible to use the inReach in that way?

shade

I believe they are intended to be paired with a phone running Earthmate. I don't know if the GPS location stream is available to other apps. Garmin being Garmin, that would undercut Glo sales, but I do think it can be done.

Cool. I'll give that a try with my tablet. Maybe that will cure the Gaia jitterbug designator.

moose545

Good info, I like that guys channel for stuff here in the East. Side note; he had to have had his GPS in his pocket if the iPad wasn’t the cellular version right? If you failed to pre-plan and download maps ahead of time, you still have maps built in to the GPS itself, main reason I’m returning the inReach mini for the Explorer+

shade

Good info, I like that guys channel for stuff here in the East. Side note; he had to have had his GPS in his pocket if the iPad wasn’t the cellular version right? If you failed to pre-plan and download maps ahead of time, you still have maps built in to the GPS itself, main reason I’m returning the inReach mini for the Explorer+
I'm still getting through the video, but early on, he says that his iPad lacks a GPS receiver, and is using the BT connection to the inReach for GPS positioning.

I'm encouraged that he's using the inReach GPS feed to drive Gaia. I'll try that later today with my Android tablet.

cactusjk

Explorer
Getting ready to replace my old setup which used a Eee PC and Overland Navigator.

I am thinking a new iPad Mini with cellular is probable the way I will go.

I know this is an old thread but appreciate any recommendations (Apple or Garmin Overlander only).

Using for AZ and maybe SoCal

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello CactusjK:

We use an iPad Pro 12.9 cellular hosting GaiaGPS and we're extremely happy with it. We purchased a unit with the maximum storage to support copious downloading of maps/imagery for offline/out of connection use. We also use GaiaGPS on an iPhone 11 pro (also with maximum memory) and find the syncing of tracks, waypoints & routes between the two helpful. Syncing downloaded maps is a bit cumbersome, especially if you wish to have different resources on the two units, but tracks, waypoints & routes is a breeze. We also have unlimited data plans on both and find downloading maps/aerial imagery via cellular connection much smoother and faster than via WiFi, but that may be due to our horrible internet connection at home.

Personally I prefer a larger screen than the Mini. Another consideration is the rumor that there may be a new Mini coming out later this year.

About the only thing I haven't found for the iPad or iPhone is a good gpx file editor for trimming, joining and cleaning up tracks.

Howard

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks. Great info. I have a Pro but it stays at home.

The normal iPad is actually less than the mini. Agree Gaia sounds like a good way to go. Just using for AZ/ CA.

pith helmet

Getting ready to replace my old setup which used a Eee PC and Overland Navigator.

I am thinking a new iPad Mini with cellular is probable the way I will go.

I know this is an old thread but appreciate any recommendations (Apple or Garmin Overlander only).

Using for AZ and maybe SoCal
I use an iPad mini with a data plan to run work related mapping apps, one of these being OnX. I download the topos for ‘offline use’ and it works pretty well. I am about to replace my old unit with a new mini. It seems so common I am wondering if I am missing something in not using Gaia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles