Can the iPad really be used as an out-of-signal range, off-road GPS device?

So I've been doing some reading on people using tablets, specifically the iPad, as a navigation tool. Everyone seems to be on the same page that you'll need an iPad with the GPS installed but I'm struggling to find more details on actually using the unit. There are obviously several navigation and exploration maps for the iPad in the app store but will the iPad with built in GPS really be a reliable unit to be used on U.S. based off-road trails where you're not in range of cell signal? I have seen a few people with GPS boosters that plug into the tablet but would a setup like this be used with accuracy off-road? Any information would be helpful, thanks.

fjmario

Adventurer
I had the same questions when I first starting looking into nav solutions for my adventures.
I have an iPad mini that doesnt come with GPS or Cell Service, just the basic wifi model with not much storage.
That iPad has become a designated GPS device and when protected by a soft case, I just double-sided-tape mount it onto my passenger side dash.

The one thing youll need is a GPS device to transmit location information to the iPad.
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-lifestyle/aviation/xgps150a-for-efb-apps/

I bought that device, it connects to satellites and transmits the gps location via bluetooth.
The app on the iPad is MAPS.ME, nothing fancy, and its free. The reason why I love this app is because it lets you zoom into an area, and download the map for that whole area and its a LARGE area that gets downloaded into a few megabytes. It took two map downloads to cover all of Arizona for a recent trip. You can also load .gpx files into it to load waypoints or even a whole route. There area few other features I like and its never let me down. Even helped me navigate 550 off road miles through British Columbia.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
if you have an IPAD with a Cell service option, (even without it activated) the GPS will work great, i use several different GPS aps.
If you don't have a Cellular Ipad, you can always use a Bedelf BT GPS adapter.
I use my iphone 6 on my dual sport, and i use my ipad, in the truck as well as my sail boat.
I love it!

Gers64007

if you have an IPAD with a Cell service option, (even without it activated) the GPS will work great, i use several different GPS aps.
If you don't have a Cellular Ipad, you can always use a Bedelf BT GPS adapter.
I use my iphone 6 on my dual sport, and i use my ipad, in the truck as well as my sail boat.
I love it!

What gen / iPad are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
For the price of that GPS puck you can buy an Android table with the functionality built in. I use a Lenovo 7" tab A2 (there are newer ones out now) and for $100 it will get you everything you need including an SD card slot for adding maps. I use Back Country Navigator and Here (both off line) without issues.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
For the price of that GPS puck you can buy an Android table with the functionality built in. I use a Lenovo 7" tab A2 (there are newer ones out now) and for $100 it will get you everything you need including an SD card slot for adding maps. I use Back Country Navigator and Here (both off line) without issues.

yes this is true...
i dont use that puck because my ipad mini 3 maybe? but any ipad with the ability to do mifi or cell service will work.
it works quite well.
I use the Motion X gps app and have downloaded all the maps for where i frequent. you can choose how detailed you want to go on your apps..
I have gone all over baja, cali, and arizona with it...i have even tested it an airplane..

yes this is true...
i dont use that puck because my ipad mini 3 maybe? but any ipad with the ability to do mifi or cell service will work.
it works quite well.
I use the Motion X gps app and have downloaded all the maps for where i frequent. you can choose how detailed you want to go on your apps..
I have gone all over baja, cali, and arizona with it...i have even tested it an airplane..
Excellent!

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I haven't had the chance to use my iPad offroad yet, but my father uses his flying all the time for navigation maps, and I've used my iphone overseas for offline nav plenty. It's accurate to about 10ft without wifi/cellular assistance, which is more than enough for offroad navigation.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
iPads without cellular do not have GPS

I also like ipad much better than android when running Gaia even though the android version has features I would like to have with Gaia for iPad.

TacoBaz

This sounds like a great option! I'm looking at the Tab 2 A10. Love to see your setup any YT vids or anything?

C-Fish

Adventurer
I've been using cellular iPads for years.

Started with a 1st gen (AT&T) model with 32GB of memory. Upgraded to a 2nd gen (Verizon) unit with 64GB and last year pulled the trigger on a new iPad PRO (Verizon) with 128GB.

Currently have about 70GB of maps downloaded. Works flawless as a GPS device (I prefer GAIA GPS) and I can also use it for photo editing (Adobe Lightroom) in camp and on the road...

I also use it at home for most internet functions. It's nice to sit in my favorite chair and not at a desk...

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I've been using cellular iPads for years.

Started with a 1st gen (AT&T) model with 32GB of memory. Upgraded to a 2nd gen (Verizon) unit with 64GB and last year pulled the trigger on a new iPad PRO (Verizon) with 128GB.

Currently have about 70GB of maps downloaded. Works flawless as a GPS device (I prefer GAIA GPS) and I can also use it for photo editing (Adobe Lightroom) in camp and on the road...

I also use it at home for most internet functions. It's nice to sit in my favorite chair and not at a desk...

yeah it is nice to note...that the maps with detail do take up quite a bit of room...
how ever there is a way to use sd cards on the Android devices...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I use a lePan mini device with SD card. Its cheap, works awesome with or without Bluetooth GPS modules. I paid about 30 bucks for software, 60 bucks for the tablet brand new and 20 bucks for the Bluetooth module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles