Can the iPad really be used as an out-of-signal range, off-road GPS device?

MapJunkie

Hello,
I will be buying a new (Latest Gen) Ipad, becasue I need one and want a better GPS for offroading-So, two questions. With the Ipad, do you experience lose of signal much being inside a vehicle? Two-What mount do you use for ease of viewing and use. Thanks!!

ken

I have a recent iPad with built-in GPS. It works great inside my Tacoma. I have had no issues getting a gps fix in canyons and deep canopy. This is a great setup with GAIA GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm ditching my Android Tab 3 Lite tablet, it works fine, just want to go with an iPad Mini. But I can never catch the Mini 4 Unlocked in stock at gazelle.com.
One concern about the ipads that I have is their high gloss finish. I have problems with sun glare in my dash mount already with the Android with scree protector already. I figure I'm going to have to make some sort of shade / shield for the Mini. Unless someone knows of another product that can kill the glare. maybe some sort of privacy film?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm ditching my Android Tab 3 Lite tablet, it works fine, just want to go with an iPad Mini. But I can never catch the Mini 4 Unlocked in stock at gazelle.com.
One concern about the ipads that I have is their high gloss finish. I have problems with sun glare in my dash mount already with the Android with scree protector already. I figure I'm going to have to make some sort of shade / shield for the Mini. Unless someone knows of another product that can kill the glare. maybe some sort of privacy film?

This is a big concern but can be minimized somewhat by turning the iPad vertical rather than landscape. The screen is Polarized.

Umbrarian

Observer
Hello,
I will be buying a new (Latest Gen) Ipad, becasue I need one and want a better GPS for offroading-So, two questions. With the Ipad, do you experience lose of signal much being inside a vehicle? Two-What mount do you use for ease of viewing and use. Thanks!!

ken

No signal loss issues (but it is up on dash with skyview).

My iPad is in a Defender Case, so I put that in a SlipGrip and use RAM Ball Mount.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This is a big concern but can be minimized somewhat by turning the iPad vertical rather than landscape. The screen is Polarized.
huh, hadn't realized that despite having them since the first model. I'd prefer to use it horizontal, same as I use my Tab3 now -

getbanana.jpg

I can fabricate a decent looking shade for daytime use, and I'm sure there's a similar product on the market, just haven't looked for it yet.

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I love my iPad GPS setup. I'm frequently out of cell service and just use my iPad pre-loaded with offline maps on Gaia GPS. Here are some pictures of my setup - Tales from the Desert

MOguy

Explorer
Go to Walmart. Buy an android phone for $50 with GPS. Download maps were you have wifi and make the phone you dedicated mapping device. If or when the dust, dirt and whatever elses tears it up (or you lose it you will have no personal information on it) go get another one for $50.

moose545

I have a recent iPad with built-in GPS. It works great inside my Tacoma. I have had no issues getting a gps fix in canyons and deep canopy. This is a great setup with GAIA GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you're using the cellular version correct? I debated tablet vs GPS unit but after reading the mess with Garmin stuff. I'm definitely NOT going that route. Too bad, they were an early pioneer in handheld GPS, just turned into a big co. with crappy service now it seems. As for tablets, iPads are nicer and would run better I'm sure, but you cannot run an external antennae with one if I'm not mistaken, so I would have to go the cellular route, then add a line with ATT~

Without cellular, it's all dead in the water correct, or would GAIA run using the GPS built-in with the tablet with whatever basemaps it had at that time? I just got my HAM license as well, and have GPS on my Kenwood TM-710, and can output coordinates to aprs.fi and see where I am on the map, but pretty sure I'd need the cell service to run that app in the browser though correct? Worse case, I get live coordinates in Lat-Long on my HAM, then compare and get a good idea where you are, but just trying to see what I need for my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laps

So you're using the cellular version correct? I debated tablet vs GPS unit but after reading the mess with Garmin stuff. I'm definitely NOT going that route. Too bad, they were an early pioneer in handheld GPS, just turned into a big co. with ************ service now it seems. As for tablets, iPads are nicer and would run better I'm sure, but you cannot run an external antennae with one if I'm not mistaken, so I would have to go the cellular route, then add a line with ATT~

Without cellular, it's all dead in the water correct, or would GAIA run using the GPS built-in with the tablet with whatever basemaps it had at that time? I just got my HAM license as well, and have GPS on my Kenwood TM-710, and can output coordinates to aprs.fi and see where I am on the map, but pretty sure I'd need the cell service to run that app in the browser though correct? Worse case, I get live coordinates in Lat-Long on my HAM, then compare and get a good idea where you are, but just trying to see what I need for my setup.

Run your iPad or tablet blue toothed to an external GPS like a DUAL and download the area maps that you are traveling to before you go on the trip. I've had at least 6 Garmin devices over the years, as I am also a pilot, and never had a single issue with any of them. Using a Garmin Fenix 5X Plus when hiking also.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
if you have an IPAD with a Cell service option, (even without it activated) the GPS will work great, i use several different GPS aps.
If you don't have a Cellular Ipad, you can always use a Bedelf BT GPS adapter.
I use my iphone 6 on my dual sport, and i use my ipad, in the truck as well as my sail boat.
I love it!

This is the correct answer. GPS receiver / ability is part of every cellular-connectable tablet. You'll get a better more accurate position using differential GPS and ground stations, while actually connected to a cell network. But even without that you still get the native GPS system accuracy which is 10m? I can't recall which right now.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This is the correct answer. GPS receiver / ability is part of every cellular-connectable tablet. You'll get a better more accurate position using differential GPS and ground stations, while actually connected to a cell network. But even without that you still get the native GPS system accuracy which is 10m? I can't recall which right now.
There's not really one number but the typical value for a phone using a BCM4774 is about 5m best case accuracy with open sky and 10m indoors using just L1 GPS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles