Can it be done with a lifted truck?

Balzer

Adventurer
Something to think about is the fact that lift springs are almost always stiffer than factory springs. So someone saying they felt uneasy with the camper on their stock truck may find out it does BETTER after its lifted. Just my 2 cents worth.

crh

2001 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 with limited slips w/ camper, VERY safe

Here's a 2200 lb. Lance 845 Lite camper on our Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4... 285 E-Rated BFG T/A's (33" O.D.) and 4" lift, Rancho HD steering damper and Rancho 9000 shocks, rears cranked up to '9', rear sway bar and Firestone air bags pumped to 70 PSI make it a non-issue, no matter what the on-road (or light off-road) situation... and I have a REALLY heavy foot... excellent accident avoidance. 11' 7" clearance... great rig, but gotta go a little bigger in the Lance line... too small for 2 parents, a huge 9 year-old *and* a huge dog! One thing I learned using this rig is that *power and brakes*, and lots of 'em, is MANDATORY, maneuverability is helped IMMENSELY by the ability to accelerate and brake well even with a one-ton+ camper... to that end, we equipped the Cummins 24V H.O. motor with an extra 100 HP and 300 ft/lbs of torque without hurting mileage and reliability and longevity at all... that seemed to do the trick... ;^)

photo-4.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice looking rig crh... And welcome to ExPo! As you and many others have stated here, with proper parts and set up, lifted trucks are great for campers. My F350 hauls the camper much nicer with the suspension upgrades.

ib14a69

Observer
I original used my srw f350 to haul my 990 artic fox. Had over loads, air bags and toyo m55 tires. It was scarey just being at stock height.
Now 99% percent use of the dodge dually is to haul the camper.
I was thinking about eventually putting a lift on the dually or leveling it out and running semi 22.5 wheels and tires on it. Does anyone have a report on how big rig tires handle campers?

ib14a69

Observer
I would asume it would handle just great since the load rating for the tires and wheels would never get maxed out.
I was at 21k 2 weeks ago headed over to the washington overland ralley in plain.
handled great. The dodge is set up though with air bags, overloads, tork lift stable lift, and rear hellwig sway bar.

Biglangster

Hello, I was reading this post and I was wondering what you guys use to make the jack posts longer other than blocks of wood? I was thinking about welding extensions on or something like that. I have a 2006 f350 with a 4" lift and a 10'.6" lance camper. Trying to get it on and off the truck is sketchy....

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
07802d855ff830f912ca24c5d43d743b.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A 6.5' Capri is about 1700# with the extended bed. A Camplite 6.8 is around 2100#. Decent options, I'm guessing only a couple hundred pounds more for 8' versions.

boxcar1

boxcar1
This is an interesting topic. First , before I can advise you I have to ask. What kind of 6" lift? Blocks , Blocks and springs or all spring? Is the truck equipped with a high steer conversion or not? What shocks? Are the sway bars and pan hard bars still on the truck? Does she bump steer or wander? Not all lifts are done correctly. In fact most are not. I will say that if it was lifted correctly with load carrying capacity as one of the pre requisites. Then your truck should do just fine. If it has an off the shelf block lift . I wouldn't call it safe without a camper on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz