Can it be done?: Swing-out Tire Carrier and Carry 4 Bikes

Summit Cruisers Jr

Been thinking more about bumper, swingout, and carrying bikes lately since im getting back into biking. Does anyone have a dual swingout with one side carrying the spare tire and the other side carrying 2 bikes vertically? Would that be too much weight? Id figured depending on your tire size it would be roughly the same weight as 2 bikes right? bout 70lbs.

Take a look at the DIY parts from Lolo Bike Racks.

I drew up some sketches for a friend to be able to haul a couple bikes on one of his swing outs. They’re pretty cheap, hold the bikes with the tires pointing away from the vehicle so they could be pretty snug to the vehicle, and lightweight. I’d have no problem putting a couple bikes on a swing out (depending on what spindle/latch is used) with two of the Lolo hooks mounted up high on it. My tire/wheel combo weighs 100 lbs and doesn’t wiggle on my swing out.

squonk23

I know we're more than a year after the last post on this but I'm going to throw this out there anyway and hope it eventually comes back. What about using a spare tire mounted bike rack? This one in particular I think weighs about 5 lb and could carry three bikes. This would add about 50-70lbs mounting my bike with my two sons bikes. Thoughts?

For reference, I want to put this on a 2014 Toyota tundra with a four-wheel camper on the back. I don't want to take up my hitch because I typically throw a cargo carrier on there for wood and sometimes a cooler. I don't have a swing up bumper yet, trying to come up with a good time to pony up the big bucks.

Cheers,
Bill

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I know we're more than a year after the last post on this but I'm going to throw this out there anyway and hope it eventually comes back. What about using a spare tire mounted bike rack? This one in particular I think weighs about 5 lb and could carry three bikes. This would add about 50-70lbs mounting my bike with my two sons bikes. Thoughts?

For reference, I want to put this on a 2014 Toyota tundra with a four-wheel camper on the back. I don't want to take up my hitch because I typically throw a cargo carrier on there for wood and sometimes a cooler. I don't have a swing up bumper yet, trying to come up with a good time to pony up the big bucks.

Cheers,
Bill
How bout these?

1up-1-bike-rack-1up-bike-rack-dimensions-1up-extension-used-1up-bike-rack-for-sale.jpg
bike-rack-swing-tundra-open-800.jpg
bike-rack-adventurer-2.jpg

Old thread but I'll chime in regardless. I used a receiver extension with a 4-bike Kuat to clear a tire carrier on a Land Rover I owned once, and I fully hated the setup. It was super unwieldy to access the back of the vehicle, there were clearance/rubbing issues with the spare tire, not to mention the whole enchilada stuck out like 6' so even mundane errands like running your bike down to the shop was a drag as parking was a hassle. And it would bounce like mad on any sort of rugged terrain, which is super not awesome when you have like $25K in bikes on the back.

If going behind your tire carrier is the only option, I would go with a vertical rack like a North Shore. +1 to the comment about lights, and/or use tons of reflective stickers. Good luck!

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I just went through a similar scenario, and ended up going w a RIGD swing arm, and a Kuat 4 bike rack...the swing arm is rated at 250# capacity, and the rack is 100# by itself. With the three bikes, I've got a bit of weight to spare, but not a lot. Also, it sticks out a ton!

The bikes my kids ride currently are both heavier than mine, so when/if they keep riding and we upgrade, the total weight will actually go down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles