Can I use an HD drawer slide on it's side?

DaveM

Explorer
I'm designing a DIY combo drawer and stove slide for the bed of my Tacoma and need some help with hardware specifications. The plan is for a full extension drawer box with mount for stove on top. The drawer with stove on top would pull out from a surrounding full box and lock in pace for using the stove. The box provides a space over the stove to lash down my camp gear case. The drawer front would pull open for access to the drawer contents (lock closed with latch, but not lock open).

I'd like to use one of the Knape and Vogt pull style locking HD slides to maximize the depth of the drawer (other slides look like they'd cost about an inch of drawer depth to accommodate the lock release mechanism that sits proud of the drawer face). In order to maximize width of the drawer I'd like to be able to mount the slides under the drawer rather on it's sides (see pic below for example).

My questions is, how do I know what load these slides can take in that arrangement? K&V don't sell a slide designed to lay flat so I'm guessing this is just a regular slide laid flat? It would need to handle the eight of a Cook Partner stove and a 18"x8"x24" 3/8" plywood box with most of my kitchen gear in it. Think I can get away with that?

CampKitchen_Pic_1024x1024.jpg

69560cd823d9d46394c25f02f1fc5881.png

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What you are talking about is called undermount slides. Some slides can be mounted either way, but are always rated far far less in under mount configuration. I would call KV and ask.

DaveM

Explorer
Found their tech specs for the 8908 slide (HD, lock in/out full extensions). They give it a "flat mount" rating of 100 lbs.

Since this will hold the drawer and it's contents, plus the stove and whatever I may be cooking on it, that may be cutting it close given the leverage the drawer will apply when it's extended past the stove box with flat mounted slides. I can re configure to side mount, but that's adds 1.5" to my box width. Sounds small, but trying to leave as much space to the right of the drawer for getting other gear in and out of truck.

https://www.knapeandvogt.com/sites/default/files/OL2257_8908_Brochure_0414_0.pdf

DaveM

Explorer
Another question I have about the slides is, am I right in assuming I can get away with a locking slide on one side of the setup with a matching HD non-locking slide on the other?

Lucky j

Explorer
Yes you can go with a single side lock. It is also easier to handle the drawer, alowing you to unlock with one hand and grip a handle with the other. But like was mention, they usualy come in pairs, so you will be able to make two drawer.

I did just that.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you want more weight capacity, use two pair of slides. Then you also get a lock on both sides, which should keep the thing from wobbling while extended.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Won't lock?

I don't know about K&V, buy my Accuride slides need gravity to lock, meaning they need to be standing on their sides, and mounted in the configuration they are designed for right and left.

I agree with only using one locking in the pair. That gives you one hand for the lock and one to ull or push the drawer.

Sand1235

KV slides work on their side. I have three sets in the back of my Jeep. 2 mounted vertical and one flat. The rating on the flat seems very maxed out. When it's extended it bends down with a good push.
And all 6 of my slides are lock in lock out. You don't need a handle with the KV ones because of how the handles unlock the drawer slide. One nice perk of not being a lever like Accuride and others. I'll try and post a picture. I can't seem to get it figured out on my phone.

DaveM

Explorer
Thanks for the pic and the info. Sounds like the leverage will be an issue with a flat mount. Rather than double up on the slides (and their cost) I'll just modify my design to use side mount only. It takes up a bit more space but should have little flex.

I might be able to get away with flat mount for the stove if I flipped the arrangement and had the stove on its own tray that came out past the drawer. My issue with that is that it becomes the stove that needs to move in and out every time you want something from the drawer. With my arrangement the stove comes out one step and stays put, access to the drawer contents does not move the stove when you open the drawer past the end of the stove. Seems simpler to me, but requires side mount I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles