Can I make this work?

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Here is what I have.

attachment.php

Its a 4x8 platform made with 3x3 1/4'" angle. . I want it to be as versatile
as possible as both a utility and a camping trailer. I eventually want to weld up a box for it, but its looking like its going to be a while before I get a welder. So I figured I would see about somthing temporary in the meantime.

attachment.php

Here it is with a '54 Chevy short box, setpside tool box and a Land Rover 88" top. Nothing is bolted down and Im not sure I like how the loaded weight distribution would be, but I am wondering if any of it seems doable to allow me to use it for a while.

Any thoughts?

-Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0079a.jpg
    IMG_0079a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
From my view point it looks like you might need a bit more weight up front. Maybe a spare up front would help? I like the idea of using used components as well. It makes for a quick cheap solution. New paint makes everything look so much better. So when your done a nice paint job will take you from BeverlyHill Hillbillies to Expo quality rig!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Think light. The angle iron wont hold alot of weight before you start seeing issues. Perhaps some more crossmembers and a wooden flatbed. Use more angle iron for a structure to hold gear inside. IIRC there was a M716 here for sale.. it was white. Take some styling ques from that.

Or does it have to be enclosed?

That shouldnt cost too much and you could continue saving for the welder.

EDIT: This is what i'm referring to. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27353

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
That Land Rover 88 top is to cool! It looks like its a perfect fit.

It really is. Im a Rover guy, and that was part of the appeal of the bed. I almost wish it was a 6' trailer, but the usefulness of an 8' bed for hauling building materials cant be beat.

-Jeff

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Think light. The angle iron wont hold alot of weight before you start seeing issues. Perhaps some more crossmembers and a wooden flatbed. Use more angle iron for a structure to hold gear inside. IIRC there was a M716 here for sale.. it was white. Take some styling ques from that.

Or does it have to be enclosed?

That shouldnt cost too much and you could continue saving for the welder.

EDIT: This is what i'm referring to. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27353

It defiantly needs 2 more crossmembers on the frame.

I would like sides to keep things contained, but it doesnt have to be enclosed (top), but it is nice to keep things out of the emlements without tarping it.

That 716 has some good ideas, I need to stare at those pics a bit.

-Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier