Can I get some advice on what to look for? Camper for 2 people and a dog

Porkchopexpress

I realize this is old but just in case, I think fiberglass campers are the best option given the criteria like the Casita mentioned before. I would also look at Escape Trailers. I think they are a good balance of quality and price having seen some in person. They are made to order in Canada so you have to pick it up or arrange shipping if you buy new. There are a few models in different sizes and floor plans to choose from and you can personalize them with options. Or, if you want to go high end fiberglass, Oliver campers have a great reputation. All the fiberglass campers I know of have great resale value so buying new kind of makes sense. There isn't the same markup you get off the lot right now but you will have to que up for a long wait.

So what did you end up getting? We recently transitioned from a converted 6x10 cargo trailer to a NuCamp t@b 400 boondock. The boondock has quite impressive clearance, and the furniture, plumbing, and electronics seem to be well placed and well attached (for a change). Almost every commercially manufactured trailer I have ever spent time in, needs constant attention, screws falling out, drawers shaking loose, appliances tipping out of their locations, etc. This one feels like a tight little mod cabin, with a permanent bed and convertible dinette. It uses an Alde heating system, that relies on radiant heat distributed by glycol. Takes a bit longer to warm up, but uses less gas and electricity then the standard furnace setup. The teardrop shape is a little bit misleading, because this model is 20 ft long and 9 ft tall, it does not really reduce drag as much as I thought it would. That said, I immediately took it out on some pretty gnarly tracks getting to climbing spots. Not only did I reach the final destinations without bottoming out despite going over baby head size rocks consistently, nothing shook loose, and the interior of the trailer looked the same as it did prior to starting the trip. My wife really likes the clean, modern interior, as contrasted to the usual late '80s - early 90s retirement home look. And... It has double pane acrylic Windows all around, so I don't need to worry about making reflectix cutouts to put in the windows midsummer and midwinter.

I decided to hold off and not buy anything. I've had some issues come up at the house (this winter we found that whoever built the house did not install the windows correctly, so they may as well be open).

We're going to rent some campers at least through summer to make sure she is OK with camping and gives me an opportunity to figure out what to do with our dog if he annoys me :)

I'll probably be looking at the Casitas, and can lightly modify it to fit our needs. The kodiak camper line also has caught my attention.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Those NuCamps look interesting. I’m not familiar with the glycol radiant heating system but it would be nice to get away from the standard forced air heaters in travel trailers. They are noisy and are the biggest electrical draw when camping in the shoulder seasons.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Looks promising.

Efficiency: Alde vs Traditional Furnaces and Water Heaters
The majority of truck campers on the market use either a Suburban or Atwood/Dometic furnace with 20,000 to 30,000 BTUs. There are exceptions, but this is the BTU range for most truck campers.

During operation, the amp draw of Suburban 20,000 and 30,000 BTU furnaces is 6.5 and 8.5-amps respectively. The amp draw of Atwood/Dometic 20,000 and 30,000 BTU furnaces is 4.8 and 7.5-amps, respectively.

The majority of truck campers on the market use either a Suburban or Atwood/Dometic water heater with either 4-gallons or 6-gallons of water capacity.

The Suburban water heaters range from 9,000 BTU (4-gallons) to 12,000 BTUs (6-gallons) and draw 13-amps. The Atwood/Dometic water heaters range from 8,800 and 10,000 BTU (6-gallon) and draw 12.7-amps.

We were unable to find data on the propane consumption for Suburban or Atwood/Dometic furnaces or water heaters.

The Alde 3010 can be configured to either 11,000 or 18,700 BTU. For both heat and hot water, the Alde system draws a maximum of 1.9 amps for about three seconds when starting on 12-volt DC.

After those three seconds, there are two Alde components that cycle on and off depending on the temperature of the glycol; a combustion fan (0.4 amps), and a circulation pump (0.2 amps). The Alde fan and pump only run when the glycol needs to be heated.

Adding the draw of the combustion fan and circulation pump together, the Alde system draws about 0.6-amps of 12-volt power when running off propane. This explains why the Cirrus 920’s batteries only drop a tenth of an amp or two overnight. You read that right.

When running, the Alde system consumes 0.9 pounds of propane per hour. Alde reports that the 3010 system can operate for two weeks on a 20-pound propane tank. This mirrors our experience as well.

Based on the data and our first-hand truck camping observation, the Alde offers game-changing 12-volt and propane efficiency.

KarmaKannon

Pretty easy to hook up and be on your way. Just a suggestion. Not for everyone, but they are nice.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well, I'm planning to trade in my teardrop in a few weeks and I'm getting an Aliner.
I'd prefer to sell it to somebody who'll use it and love it like we have.

It's a big teardrop and has worked for us. I'm 6'5", wife is 5'5", and dog is 55#.
Trailer is 6x10 with a 68x78 bed (nearly king sized). Has cabinets at the headboard and above the feet.
Galley is a two-burner stove and a Stakol fridge.
Has two house batteries and a solar suitcase.
5# propane tank mounted outside.
285/75-16 tires on 16" Procomp wheels with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.
Lunette/pintle, ball hitch, and a max coupler thrown in.

Just make an offer higher than what the dealer is offering. We've lived off-grid out of this for up to two weeks. Always garaged in between camping trips. It has 10 years of bumps and bruises but is solid as a rock still. Amish-built, full skid plates. A LOT LESS than the Bean...

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We took delivery on the Aliner. It ain't perfect right out of the box but it is a sweet trailer. Camping on Allatoona Lake right now and sorting out the newness

yfarm

Observer
I decided to hold off and not buy anything. I've had some issues come up at the house (this winter we found that whoever built the house did not install the windows correctly, so they may as well be open).

We're going to rent some campers at least through summer to make sure she is OK with camping and gives me an opportunity to figure out what to do with our dog if he annoys me :)

I'll probably be looking at the Casitas, and can lightly modify it to fit our needs. The kodiak camper line also has caught my attention.

5k axle leaf spring conversion with 4200 lb springs, 12” brakes, dexter shock kit and 6 bolt wheels. Raised trailer 5.5 inches over stock. 2002 trailer, no leaks ever. Simple. 17 SD

Attachments

• 71B1069A-38F5-457C-A534-629FEC39C262.jpeg
    71B1069A-38F5-457C-A534-629FEC39C262.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

skyfree

17' chassis Casitas, or Scamps if you can handle the old style interiors.
17B Escape has some more modern interior options ie not carpeted ceiling.
You get tiny wet bath, room to sleep and stand up, eat etc, still reasonable length and width.
That's generally a 13' interior and 17' OAL.

Agree with the Escape 17B advice. We are 2 people and a large dog (Husky). We use ours in below-freezing temperatures several days a year and have used it in true winter conditions as well, with as much as 16" of snow falling overnight.

Regularly camping in true winter is not for us but the trailer can handle it as long as temps are above about 10-15F at night and hopefully close to freezing during the day so the tanks don't freeze. We have tank heaters but can't use them on battery power alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne