Can I get some advice on what to look for? Camper for 2 people and a dog

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
nuCamp makes a much better trailer than the Forest River lines.

Amish built and cozy. If you call there and talk to Scott, tell him Hilldweller says hi. Very ethical and nice guy running that ship.

MTVR

A 5-1/2 foot long bed would mean that unless you two are really short, you probably can't sleep inside it. In our case, our F150 had the 8 foot bed, so we just wedged a queen sized inflatable bed in between the wheelwells, and put our sleeping bags on that. The dog slept at our feet. Done.

As far as the girlfriend who won't go outside, have you considered a new girlfriend? Girls have been going outside since Eve...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A 5-1/2 foot long bed would mean that unless you two are really short, you probably can't sleep inside it. In our case, our F150 had the 8 foot bed, so we just wedged a queen sized inflatable bed in between the wheelwells, and put our sleeping bags on that. The dog slept at our feet. Done.

As far as the girlfriend who won't go outside, have you considered a new girlfriend? Girls have been going outside since Eve...
Get her one of these, lol

6740_z.jpg

MTVR

I dunno, the yoga instructor co-ed looks like she doesn't eat much or take up much space...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
As far as towables go I would just suggest going into the unit and make sure everything works. A lot of them are built very poorly from the start.
I had a salesman showing me one unit. I was pretty well ignoring him while I was opening cabinets drawer's etc. I had to gently force one of the drawers out and it basically broke and wouldn't go back in. I said to the man "these things are built like crap!", he said "yep".

If you buy used remember that absolutely nobody reseals the roof every 1-2 years like is required and all the roofs will leak(most people don't have the ability to have them stored under a roof). People will lie to your face to try and off load they're failed family vacation rig on you.

It should be something four seasons ready and can go off grid for 3 or 4 days (or longer is fine and definitely a plus).

If your "four seasons ready" goal means that the product should remain fully operational in sub-freezing conditions, without shore power, then I think that is very, very difficult to find in the North American towable market. I've been looking for that same capability for a while now.

To make progress on the "off grid for 3 or 4 days" goal, I think your electrical requirements must be more specifically stated. Some people may be satisfied with only a few DC lights when "off grid"; others may expect to microwave their meals. Those two extremes imply vastly different electrical systems, and financial investment. Some people expect to run a fueled generator most of the day; other people want to rely on solar for 100% of their power generation.

Keep in mind that it's much, much easier to achieve one of the "sub-freezing" and "off-grid" goals than it is to achieve both at the same time.

For example, many trailers can handle freezing conditions using electric heating elements on the exposed tanks and plumbing lines. The power required by that electric heating far exceeds the capabilities of common DC power systems, so "four season" rigs often require shore power.

Similarly, "off-grid" camping with solar panels in the summer is far easier than in the winter. In winter, solar panel output is much reduced and electrical loads (such as furnace blowers and lighting) are generally higher.

Grassland

17' chassis Casitas, or Scamps if you can handle the old style interiors.
17B Escape has some more modern interior options ie not carpeted ceiling.
You get tiny wet bath, room to sleep and stand up, eat etc, still reasonable length and width.
That's generally a 13' interior and 17' OAL.

amccabe

A-Liner may be a good fit. Not too much off-road capability but can surely be made capable to boondock for a couple of days. We have the largest one and it fits 2 adults, 1 5 month old and two dogs (75lb and 30lb) comfortably.

zgfiredude

Given your criteria, I agree with the Casita idea.....easily adapted to be as "rugged" as required, and a bombproof exterior. Personally, I thing they have the "cool" factor, some don't.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
A-Liner may be a good fit. Not too much off-road capability but can surely be made capable to boondock for a couple of days. We have the largest one and it fits 2 adults, 1 5 month old and two dogs (75lb and 30lb) comfortably.
I'm taking a serious look at Aliners right now. Either an LXE (I'll turn the sofabed into a fixed king, put struts under it for storage) or an Expedition with a permanent bed. Just me and she with a dog.
Which do you have and how have you modded it?

amccabe

I'm taking a serious look at Aliners right now. Either an LXE (I'll turn the sofabed into a fixed king, put struts under it for storage) or an Expedition with a permanent bed. Just me and she with a dog.
Which do you have and how have you modded it?

I have a family expedition. I got it in october and I haven't done any mods yet. First thing I am planning on doing is swapping the 22 degree down angle torsion axle for a 45 degree down angle to increase the ground clearance. I will also add the frame spacer to give a little more lift as well. After that I should be able to fit 15" LT tires and wheels on the frame. Otherwise I don't have much else planned yet.

amalakassogue

So what did you end up getting? We recently transitioned from a converted 6x10 cargo trailer to a NuCamp t@b 400 boondock. The boondock has quite impressive clearance, and the furniture, plumbing, and electronics seem to be well placed and well attached (for a change). Almost every commercially manufactured trailer I have ever spent time in, needs constant attention, screws falling out, drawers shaking loose, appliances tipping out of their locations, etc. This one feels like a tight little mod cabin, with a permanent bed and convertible dinette. It uses an Alde heating system, that relies on radiant heat distributed by glycol. Takes a bit longer to warm up, but uses less gas and electricity then the standard furnace setup. The teardrop shape is a little bit misleading, because this model is 20 ft long and 9 ft tall, it does not really reduce drag as much as I thought it would. That said, I immediately took it out on some pretty gnarly tracks getting to climbing spots. Not only did I reach the final destinations without bottoming out despite going over baby head size rocks consistently, nothing shook loose, and the interior of the trailer looked the same as it did prior to starting the trip. My wife really likes the clean, modern interior, as contrasted to the usual late '80s - early 90s retirement home look. And... It has double pane acrylic Windows all around, so I don't need to worry about making reflectix cutouts to put in the windows midsummer and midwinter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94