Can I get some advice on what to look for? Camper for 2 people and a dog

I'm very new to all of this and have been looking online for the past week or so at Overlanding campers, trailers, etc and while I've found a lot, I haven't found specifically what I'm imagining so I've registered to ask for some advice.

What I'm looking for is a camper that can be hauled with a 2019 Ford raptor (1200 lbs max payload and 7000 lbs max towing). It can either be a truck camper or something towed. I do not need anything large, and don't need the rooftop tents, etc. It should be something four seasons ready and can go off grid for 3 or 4 days (or longer is fine and definitely a plus). Basically the camper should be large enough that if it rains, my gf and I can be in the camper and the dog can lay on the floor of the camper. He is 90 lbs so he needs at least a walkway to be able to lay down.

I'm not planning on doing any rock crawling or crazy off roading.

If you know of anything could you please post it here? I'm not really putting a price range because I don't even know if something like this exists. Scout campers (https://www.scoutcampers.com/) is the closet I've seen, but they are very close on the payload limit for my truck. Thanks in advance.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
1200lb payload. After a 90lb dog, you, and your gf you’ll have something like 800lb for a camper. How about enough water to last for 3-4 days and every thing else? Also your Raptor is the 5.5’ box? That’s gonna put all the weight of the camper on your back axle.
I don’t think a truck camper is in your future.
I’d go with a towable, less than 5,000 lbs.

1200lb payload. After a 90lb dog, you, and your gf you’ll have something like 800lb for a camper. How about enough water to last for 3-4 days and every thing else? Also your Raptor is the 5.5’ box? That’s gonna put all the weight of the camper on your back axle.
I don’t think a truck camper is in your future.
I’d go with a towable, less than 5,000 lbs.

I agree. The only benefit of the scout is the built in water filtration, so that's less of a concern. But I think the better option is definitely a towable.

I was curious if you've seen anything like I'm describing as a towable? Prefer a travel trailer, not pop up as we may be in cooler weather.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not sure what kind of off road capability you need. If you want a hardwall that you, your gf and dog can sit in if it's raining I would scratch teardrops off the list if they were on it to begin with.

Maybe look at R-pods or Winnebago Hike or Drop?

Not sure what kind of off road capability you need. If you want a hardwall that you, your gf and dog can sit in if it's raining I would scratch teardrops off the list if they were on it to begin with.

Maybe look at R-pods or Winnebago Hike or Drop?

We can probably get by with light off roading. We don't have to go boondocking or anything extreme. It would be nice to have the option to get away from the regular campsites.

Thanks for the recs. These seem to be in the same category as the Forest River No Boundaries and Geo Pro? This would work for our first camper as a couple with a dog. The dog might end up sleeping in the truck cab at night :p

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We can probably get by with light off roading. We don't have to go boondocking or anything extreme. It would be nice to have the option to get away from the regular campsites.

Thanks for the recs. These seem to be in the same category as the Forest River No Boundaries and Geo Pro? This would work for our first camper as a couple with a dog. The dog might end up sleeping in the truck cab at night :p
Yes, I think they would be in a similar category.

I think the two I recommended would leave enough room for the dog. Kinda handy to have the dog in the trailer.

We looked at a Minnie Drop for a family of 4 plus dog. (Ended up going a little bigger as off road capability wasn't required for the trailer)

As a dog owner, I'd want our dog in with us in case he needs to 'go out'...

Yes, I think they would be in a similar category.

I think the two I recommended would leave enough room for the dog. Kinda handy to have the dog in the trailer.

We looked at a Minnie Drop for a family of 4 plus dog. (Ended up going a little bigger as off road capability wasn't required for the trailer)

As a dog owner, I'd want our dog in with us in case he needs to 'go out'...

The only problem is that he's very annoying at night with his licking/nibbling.

He's very capable of going from 9 PM to 7 AM without going out unless he's sick.

I'll look more into the Minnie Drop. Thanks again.

adamalli

If you want something that is a little bigger than a tear drop but not a full size house with wheels (nothing wrong with that if that is what you want) you mighty want to take a look at the "Hybrid" from TetonX. It is big enough to have a bed and small table inside with room to stand and have your dog sleep on the floor. All plumbing is run indoors so you can camp in reasonably cold weather (have camped in it with night time lows around 15F). All cooking is done outside on the slide out kitchen. So to me at least, it is a cross between regular tent camping where everything is done outside and a camper with nice and comfortable bed for us at night. If you are looking for a indoor toilet than this is not for you.
The R-pods are nice and defiantly more comfortable in inclement weather

If you want something that is a little bigger than a tear drop but not a full size house with wheels (nothing wrong with that if that is what you want) you mighty want to take a look at the "Hybrid" from TetonX. It is big enough to have a bed and small table inside with room to stand and have your dog sleep on the floor. All plumbing is run indoors so you can camp in reasonably cold weather (have camped in it with night time lows around 15F). All cooking is done outside on the slide out kitchen. So to me at least, it is a cross between regular tent camping where everything is done outside and a camper with nice and comfortable bed for us at night. If you are looking for a indoor toilet than this is not for you.
The R-pods are nice and defiantly more comfortable in inclement weather

I personally don't have a problem with using the bathroom outside, but that's a huge no go for my gf. I'm looking at the r pods and the No Boundaries types of campers now. If there's anything more off road capable I'd look there too. I just haven't seen anything that fits.

Thanks again.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I personally don't have a problem with using the bathroom outside, but that's a huge no go for my gf. I'm looking at the r pods and the No Boundaries types of campers now. If there's anything more off road capable I'd look there too. I just haven't seen anything that fits.

Thanks again.
Comfort for all is paramount to making the experience more enjoyable for everybody. Our previous two tent trailers didn't include adequate bathroom facilities.

We traded to a hardwall and having a bathroom in the trailer was a game changer. Especially in the middle of the night.

jwiereng

Check out the truck mounted campers aimed at the compact truck market (Tacoma, frontier and such). Should work on a raptor no sweat.

Alucab Khaya
AT habitat
Kimbo,

For example.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The Raptor has similar to less payload than the Tacoma and Frontier. Those trucks are often loaded over GVWR by “Overlanders”.
OP is free to make his own decisions but I highly suggest looking at the weights of things. GVWR exists for a reason, and I would think it’s more important to stay under that rating when going off highway.

I don’t have any suggestions for a towable, but I still think that's the way to go.

jwiereng

The Raptor has similar to less payload than the Tacoma and Frontier. Those trucks are often loaded over GVWR by “Overlanders”.
OP is free to make his own decisions but I highly suggest looking at the weights of things. GVWR exists for a reason, and I would think it’s more important to stay under that rating when going off highway.

I don’t have any suggestions for a towable, but I still think that's the way to go.
hmm, I didn't know that, I assumed F150 ish capacity.
Makes me wonder if overweight is more selfish on highway and 80mph with other motorists close or if the danger to life and limb is greater "off-road"
In some sense it is not possible to separate, overweight vehicles would use the highway to get to the "off-road" parts

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
hmm, I didn't know that, I assumed F150 ish capacity.
Makes me wonder if overweight is more selfish on highway and 80mph with other motorists close or if the danger to life and limb is greater "off-road"
In some sense it is not possible to separate, overweight vehicles would use the highway to get to the "off-road" parts
Due to the off road based suspension, it it less than the majority of F150's.

Payload of all trucks (of the same make and model) can differ greatly based on how the truck is equipped.

Options add weight to the vehicle which has an effect on payload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier