CAN Bus help

BLU60

Hi All

Am striking out looking for help with my wiring project

2016 Mercedes G550
CAN Bus help
Good day all:

I am going to install a switch panel that requires three 12V triggers. Ignition, high beams, and side marker lights.

Has anyone any experience with:

http://www.canm8.com/can-bus-interfaces/multi-output-interfaces/canm8-idr8.html

and if so where would I get the signals for this interface for this wiring harness that clamps around the Hi and low CAN Bus (instructions say it’s near the ignition key but that’s it)

http://www.canm8.com/cannect-contactless-reader/canm8-cannect-contactless-reader.html

The switch panel I am using is:

http://www.switchpros.com/

I appreciate any help.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Do they specify which CANbus you need to connect to? This vehicle will have 2-4 canbus segments. one for critical engine stuff, safety related, one for entertainment, and probably one for the Doors, locks, window, and lighting.

That sensor looks to be an inductive pickup? So it needs to be clamped over the canbus pair. There will be a canbus wire pair running to the Ignition switch assembly. They are a twisted pair. So if you look at the harness connector for the switch, there should be only one pair that is twisted. Usually small gauge, around 1-2 mm squared?

If your power needs for the triggers are low (less than 0.5A) and the relays have suppression diodes, you should have no issue tapping into the vehicles wiring directly. Just use good splicing practices. The only issue I see with this approach, is that some projector headlamps are canbus connected, and thus there is no external high beam power wire to tap into.

BLU60

Do they specify which CANbus you need to connect to? This vehicle will have 2-4 canbus segments. one for critical engine stuff, safety related, one for entertainment, and probably one for the Doors, locks, window, and lighting.

That sensor looks to be an inductive pickup? So it needs to be clamped over the canbus pair. There will be a canbus wire pair running to the Ignition switch assembly. They are a twisted pair. So if you look at the harness connector for the switch, there should be only one pair that is twisted. Usually small gauge, around 1-2 mm squared?

If your power needs for the triggers are low (less than 0.5A) and the relays have suppression diodes, you should have no issue tapping into the vehicles wiring directly. Just use good splicing practices. The only issue I see with this approach, is that some projector headlamps are canbus connected, and thus there is no external high beam power wire to tap into.

Thank you for your response. The idea of using the Switchpros is to leave the stock vehicle wiring alone, so, no splicing, cutting, etc. Yes the inductive sensor wire clamps over a hi and lo CANBUS wire near the ignition. Then, there are multiple 12V, 1 amp output wires from the CANM8 interface that have a direct power lead from the battery that will inform the Switchpro of the ignition, headlamps, etc being on to add to the features of the switch. The triggers really add to the functionality of the switch so I need to get this right. It would be really easy to install this in a non CAN BUS vehicle, but . . . am not going to cut any wires in my G Wagen. If I can't figure this out, I'll need to source a modern vehicle electronics guru locally.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you pull the plastic shroud off the ignition, you should heavy easy access to its wiring harness. As I mentioned, there will be a small twisted pair that is for canbus. Clamp on your pickup and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne