Can a comealong substitute for a winch?

Mobryan71

Depends on the comealong. Your 19.99 Harbor Freight model, probably not. One of these : More Power Puller, yes. MPP is just as expensive as a low end vehicle mounted winch, but way more versatile, able to pull in any direction or to be carried away from the truck to clear trails, ect.

I've had a MPP for several years, love it. I don't need it often, but when I do, it is exactly what I need.

Matt

trae

Adventurer
Depends on the comealong. Your 19.99 Harbor Freight model, probably not. One of these : More Power Puller, yes. MPP is just as expensive as a low end vehicle mounted winch, but way more versatile, able to pull in any direction or to be carried away from the truck to clear trails, ect.

I've had a MPP for several years, love it. I don't need it often, but when I do, it is exactly what I need.

Matt

Did you get the cable or synthetic version? I’ve been eyeing it for a couple of years. I don’t want a vehicle mounted winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gringo m

Observer
Did you get the cable or synthetic version? I’ve been eyeing it for a couple of years. I don’t want a vehicle mounted winch.

I also have a MPP. Worth the high cost. I went synthetic myself. Safer, stronger, lighter, easier to deal with.

Alloy

Tifor jack is an option

Stay away from Manila rope if it can't be kept dry. It rots from the inside when wet.

The answer I always go with is; the Hi-Lift can do that and all of its other functions where the Tirfor is a single application that does winch better than a Hi-Lift, but not really that much better.

Get a legit winch if needed but IMO, the Hi-Lift would have been an adequate solution and one time purchase with many applications vs. the $300 or more I would have to spend and the weight to carry a hang winch.

I train recovery with a Hi-Lift, but I start with route selection and various other recovery techniques over having the need for a winch. If I needed a dedicated hand winch, I'll buy a hydro or electrical wince and never look back. Sorry, no chance I'm going with a $330 plus dedicated hand winch in my kit.....EVER!

Mobryan71

Well, I've actually tried out both. Like you, I went back and forth between the two options for a while. I finally decided to get the 35' steel cabled version, because I have a few applications where I was concerned about the synthetic rope getting snagged/cut. When I opened the box, however, I found the 35' synthetic version had been shipped by mistake, so I tried it out briefly. If you can afford the extra upfront cost and don't have durability concerns, I strongly suggest the synthetic rope. It's quite a bit lighter, and spools up like a dream. For me, however, I needed the durability of the steel cable, so I shipped the fancy version back to the vendor.

The 35' steel cable is a birds nest in potentia, but if you are diligent with how you spool it the first few times, it breaks in nicely. I also cheated a bit by using it to winch one of my trucks tight up to a wooden fence post and leaving it there, under a decent amount of tension, for a few days. I think it really helped train the cable to spool correctly.

Matt

Alloy

I used steel cable hand winches for years. Sliced/poked my hands (through gloves) ,fought birdsnests/kinked cable and free spooling more times than I can remember.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a Tirfor. Purchased when I had my F150 as there was no winch bumper available for it at the time (2007 model). I still have it and am debating on a hidden winch on my LR3 or keep using the Tirfor.
I do not offroad as much (more forestry roads) and so it would sit there for 99% of its time.

The Tirfor and cable is HEAVY. No way around it. But that said it works well and every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke