Can a comealong substitute for a winch?

oglj

Hey all,

I picked up an '02 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4d. I'm looking forward to backroad expeditions, but want to cover my bases before doing anything too crazy.

I'm definitely not in the market for a winch, so I'm wondering if I can assemble a recovery kit around a 2# or 3# comealong since GVWR is ~2#

If so, what do I need to include in this kit? From what I've read, I gather I'll need straps, shackles, a snatch block, and heavy leather gloves. Probably longer straps, since all the comealongs I've found only pull for ~4 feet.

If it makes a difference, I'm in Arizona and I'm primarily concerned with getting stuck in soft sand or mud without a decent anchor nearby, though I recognize that traveling with friends and practicing good sense mitigates these risks.

Any recommendations on specific brands / models? Online findings have heavily mixed reviews. I have a small budget so <$100 is ideal, though I don't mind saving and spending for durability.

Thanks!

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread - this forum's search function finds the terms 'come' and 'along' too common and won't return any results. Hence why I'm using the spelling 'comealong'.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
You can use a ratchet strap if you are desperate...

I had a client wanting to be trained to use a come along as part of his recovery training. We don't use them much in the UK, so it was quite fun. It taught him one big lesson - don't get stuck. So on his subsequent 40k mile journey round the former USSR , he only got stuck once - and that was within walking distance of a village and a man with a tractor.

A hi-lift is easier to use as a winch - much easier - but you'll need and adjuster chain with it as you need to re-rig every 28" or so

Alternatively, a Tirfor and cable. Probably the single best bit of kit for self recovery, apart from a shovel

Reactions: WVI

tdferrero

A comealong, some traction boards, shackles/clevis, and a good set of straps and you should have no problem getting out of 90% of recovery situations you would encounter. I'd recommend the Tekton 5547 4-ton, it's cheap (about $50) and reliable. Oh, and a shovel.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have always carried two comealongs. One to stop you from sliding sideways (or as a back up) and one to drag you out of a hole. I also carry a shovel (not that D handle midget crap). I also have a tow strap and a tow rope. You have to reset them every 10' or so, so be prepared to do that.

I have been able to dig a path and use a comealong to get me out of some pretty deep mud... Just takes time... Lots of time.

The up side is for 100.00 you have your comealongs and you didn't have to add an expensive bumper or any of the wiring for a winch.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
100% doable. It will take longer to recover and you'll have a nice sore arm the next day but you can do it. Like stated above I'd also get a shovel and 2 traction pads. I think with traction pads you would not really even need to use the come along.

I did a lot of desert exploring in AZ in college and a friend of mine had one of these.

He swears by it. I have never personally used it and I believe it is bulky and heavy but apparently it works well.

billiebob

By the time you have it all done you could have just bought a winch..... and get a 90' pull everytime with zero setup. I've learned to hate highlift jacks because the first 2' just tensions everything up leaving you less than 2' of pull.

By the way a Come a long is not a Highlift jack. Come a longs are usually cable. Power Pull is one brand name.
Waayyyy more better than a farmer jack.

But for mud, soft sand I'd go with Maxx Tracks and air down.
Wheel speed and momentum are good tools too.

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
biggest issue is cable stretch when using a come along so you are better off with one that uses a chain and of course chains are heavy. In the old days that is what we carried then we discovered how nice a winch was. even only a one ton (I am guessing that was for vertical lift) it would still pull a lot of weight but sure slow doing it. if you tried to use a strap or rope forget it as the stretch would take forever to over come.

1AEBB198-AB0A-40CA-8755-501EAAC192AF.jpeg

oglj

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I agree that the chains and additional requirements to make this set-up work would add up in weight and cost, negating the benefits that I hoped to gain.

I'll prioritize acquiring a shovel and traction aids for now, and maybe a come-along later if I see more of a need for it.

I could go with the tirfor or a bumper and winch in the future - I'd likely prioritize the tirfor solely because it doesn't require a semi-permanent installation of heavy equipment.

Thanks again, and if anyone would like to continue the conversation please do so - I'm sure other newbies would appreciate finding this thread in the future.

billiebob

When you shop and compare prices, I'm betting you will choose a winch, maybe not a Warn but there many reviews of less expensive winches which seem to perform well and have a loyal following.

billiebob

Heres a much better video..... please ignore the fact he should have had a script. I love how easy a capstan winch works. Love how workable hemp rope is..... not sure but hemp rope might not be legal in the USA..... but there is nothing simpler or lighter than hemp rope and a capstan winch.

ps Capstan winches are the standard in sailing including ocean racing sail boats.

D

Deleted member 9101

The Badland winches from Harbor Freight are pretty good, especially considering the cost.

Amazon has traction mats for about 1/4th the cost of the name brand ones.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve used comealongs to move ~3,000lb cars around the yard and on/off trailers etc. It was a pita, almost couldn’t do it, and they weren’t stuck in the ground/ buried up to their frame. I’m not a small guy.
I wouldn’t want to unstick anything bigger than a side by side with a comealong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94