CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Land Cruiser pop top Prototype

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Glad to hear he's still in to it! Looking forward to the next opportunity, because after my last pack up of the RTT with frozen fingers I may be getting pop-top fever!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Tried a couple times to get in touch about getting one for my 100, but he replied in July that he doesn't have the time currently. Also reached out to Ursa Minor to see if they'd be interested, but no go either way. Not often you basically wave over $5k at a couple different companies, offer a truck as a guinea pig and get zero interest :Wow1:

My guess is because at $5K one would be hard pressed to make it profitable given the limited market and development cost.

MTSN

Explorer
My guess is because at $5K one would be hard pressed to make it profitable given the limited market and development cost.

We never talked money, ever. I simply said "I'm very interested in giving you my 100 as a prototype to build out, and I'm in Colorado as well. You can have my truck as long as you need, and my schedule is flexible." That's it. The reply I got was that he was too busy with other projects. I mentioned here on this forum in my post that was willing to pay "over $5k" because I know the 80 version starts at $5,500, so I have no idea what the 100 version would cost but it would be over $5k. I'm not some pie in the sky dreamer with holes in my pockets, I am ready and willing to for over cash to have the conversion done on my truck, but the 2 reputable entities that I know of both have declined or ignored my request.

lcgeek

Observer
We never talked money, ever. I simply said "I'm very interested in giving you my 100 as a prototype to build out, and I'm in Colorado as well. You can have my truck as long as you need, and my schedule is flexible." That's it. The reply I got was that he was too busy with other projects. I mentioned here on this forum in my post that was willing to pay "over $5k" because I know the 80 version starts at $5,500, so I have no idea what the 100 version would cost but it would be over $5k. I'm not some pie in the sky dreamer with holes in my pockets, I am ready and willing to for over cash to have the conversion done on my truck, but the 2 reputable entities that I know of both have declined or ignored my request.

I offered the same and with the same results. I doubt we are the only two. Not knocking Eric for this, good for him to be able to choose what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. I do hope he builds these for the 100 one day, at around $5K, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hey Erick
Please get back to me
I have cash ready and can drive to colorado as soon as you tell me
Its another sage 40th
Looking for partial rear roof removal
Two hannibal miunts and solar panel
I have left a voicemail or two but no call back yet
Hoping to get it done before Overland Expo

Cesar

Seeker

Adventurer
Is this a thing anymore? All of CriscoKid's picture links are dead and no responses since Feb. Has this product died on the vine?

Is this a thing anymore? All of CriscoKid's picture links are dead and no responses since Feb. Has this product died on the vine?

I finally got a hold of him so for now I can say it looks like a comeback is possible soon
I guess he will post on here when he is ready
start saving $$$$$ guys

zimm

Expedition Leader
its fastened by gutter clamps, so im guessing theres no serious alteration to the truck structure other than hacking a hole and trimwork.

that having been said, a 100 would require attachment to the captive nuts of the factory rack system, and a loss of perimeter support of the gutters. its a different more complicated design.

also, if you want one that bad, drive to your local commercial truck body fabricator with the video. have them fab it, then go to an automobile upholster shop for the tent fabric. you can hack your own hole.

id have the upholster insert a perimeter bungie/shock cord mid height to make closing simple, and cut down any wind flapping.

zimm

Expedition Leader

but YOU talked money, and anything other than "i'll pay the time and material for the custom one off im requesting" is a joke. you basically stated you have a "not to exceed number", in the therabouts of a production model that is easier to manufacture and has the benefit of the design and development costs being pro rated out over multiple units. why would he take that on? i dont know what his reason for not returning the call is, but i sure wouldnt.

he can find a donor truck anywhere. the way you present your rig as bringing something to the table of value, and the cash limitations, you sound like an unrealistic squirrel. 5000 is piss in a bucket for custom body work.

Rando

Explorer
Having made a pop top for a 100 series, I would agree that it is far more complicated than for an 80. You do have to use the nuts for the factory roof rack, which means you need a complex sub frame with odd curved/angled landing pads etc. While the materials for mine were likely less than $5k, if I were to value my time at all the cost would be well north of $15k. That said, it is still cool:

Lizard Head LC.JPG

PS Depending how much weight you want on the roof, and the length of your struts, 500N (~ 100lb) per side is about right for the struts. With a heavy roof box, I switch to 750N self locking struts.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Agreed, the ability to attach the top to the rain gutters makes it a lot simpler for the 80 vs the 100. Witch in turn keeps the cost down, well relatively.

Rando your top looks great very pro looking!

I wander how many other home made/engineered pop tops are out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles