• havasupai.JPG
    havasupai.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 55
  • jetboils.JPG
    jetboils.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 59

cruisertoy

Explorer
I have camped in that exact spot at Havasupai. That is one of my favorite places to go. Planning my 5th trip there next year!

It was a rough go out on saturday keeping 28 people hydrated and frankly alive in the heat wave. We left a little before 4am and had a few heavy wt guys struggle. We ended up "renting" a horse for $200 to get the last guy up the last 3rd of the switch backs as he was well into heat exhaustion at that point. Core temp was close to 103. Scary stuff. Be safe

Wow $200 for a horse for just the last third of the switchbacks? Someone definitely took advantage of that situation. Glad to hear everyone made it out ok though. That can definitely be a grueling hike depending on the time of day and temperature.

trailscape

Explorer
Thanks. That's all I really have for pics at the moment. It's hard to get a good wide angle shot of the interior.

There's the fan and a Goal Zero light run by either a portable battery jumper pack or a home made solar generator I put together.

All the furniture is by Alps Mountaineering. There's also a chair in the corner. It's a great setup for camping several days or more and I like being able to keep everything off the ground.

Milhouse_AZ

Thanks!

This was just south of Fry Lake. If you would like a more specific location or directions feel free to send me a message.

I thought that looked familiar! We were camping there three weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful and secluded. Other than wild turkeys, we didn't see a soul for three days.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Wow $200 for a horse for just the last third of the switchbacks? Someone definitely took advantage of that situation. Glad to hear everyone made it out ok though. That can definitely be a grueling hike depending on the time of day and temperature.

Definitely have you over a barel. 200 was cheaper than life flight which was close to the next step. I had offered $100 to a guy leading empty horses up but he refused. Not a cheap trip with 28 people and 4 mules hauling gear. $3k just for the camping and privledge of being there. There were a couple baptist groups down there with 125+ people.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Reciently in Colorado.

21a1fca713b55b86eeff45fa9195e092_zps5f891dfb.jpg

c1b1e17fc58993f3c78cfd9f89ae3557_zpse5ffc7e6.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
In the Uintahs.

CampHannah.jpg

We've traded out the roof top tent with something more pragmatic and comfortable. Navigating the ladder out of the RTT for the 2:00a pee was perilous at best, challenging even the best bladder control, not to mention getting arthritic limbs to move in ways best left to primates. We replaced the RTT with a spring bar Kodiak Canvas tent, a ten by fourteen palace giving us ample room for upgraded sleeping arrangements and the ability to stand and walk around as was intended for most the homo erectus species.

KodiakInt.jpg

Read more about our Uintah experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke