campsite pics..lets see um

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The master, no way...

But if I wouldn't have killed two cones I could have been a contender ☺

10-seconds a cone was a stiff penalty! :)

Willman said:
Speaking of driving....your the master!!!!

:bowdown:

Thanks for the kind words!

:)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:
................Aren't the Catalina's the site of that crashed B-17? Navigator had them south of the peak in the dark and they hit it nearly blind.

I believe there is a crash site on the back side of the Catalina mountains. I have not hiked to it but I have heard there are still pieces up there.

articulate

Expedition Leader
camp2.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nice Mark.........Babies are Kewl!

I've done that a couple of times.

Camped along the Animas River east of Silverton, CO.

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0109.jpg

"SWR" Express Awning put to good use. Cold and rainy this Sept 2006!

Speaker

Adventurer
Few weeks ago up on Mt. Elden. Post-windstorm mountain bike trail work (hence the chainsaw) Don't laugh too hard at the Bud gear. Free SWAG :cool:

trailwork1.jpg

big sky trapper

Adventurer
4 days/night in the mountains moving around a bit, with pretty much only what you see plus a few traps, an a wool blanket. Out chasing high country mulies and whitetails. Camera on a stump for a tripod. headed back out thurs eve after all the celebrations have ended and come back again monday morning. Expecting 8-12 inches of fresh snow by weekend....its gonna be great!

lean+to+lg.JPG

Took a few dried potatoes and onions, some parched corn, dried /smoked meat, salt, coffee, and BV, everything else we found up there for supper's.
A few bear berries, rose hip teas for warmers,

Used two mil ponchos ended up being way to big, was trying to find the "just right size" of some either duck or russia cloth canvas to make my mountain shelter out of. Decided that 9x9 will be perfect for size, pack rolling, and weight. Ordered the matierials this am. too bad wont be sewn and ready for this coming weekend,,,

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Sunrise at the start of Buffelspoort, a canyon that was the scene of a tragic flood in 1981 when a whole town was washed away. The first pic is looking away from the "Poort". The hills in the distance were the site of a battle during the Anglo-Boer war. There are some derelict building there.

The Boers secretly came up the "Poort" to attack Laingsburg (the town that was later flooded). It wasn't common knowledge at the time that the "Poort" was passable. They camped at the buildings at the hill up ahead. The British got wind of this and laid an ambush during the night.

Pic 3 is the evening sleep over before tackling the trail. We had driven through a snow storm to get there but the skies were clear at the campsite. Minus 6 degrees celcius. Note the coals under the camp chairs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles