#CampNCrawlTrailer

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
We picked up a JL couple weeks ago, added a factory wiring harness for the trailer, lift/wheels/tires and some other small stuff.

Wifey loves it, and it tows great.

A7BDDB7F-AFB9-4678-800F-418696C18004.jpeg49AD1883-BAB1-42E5-96B2-F3F20BE76D2A.jpeg2D00A2DF-EADF-4AF6-8478-A830139FB1A3.jpeg379EF010-E49B-4061-9C1E-3437CE004BC9.jpegECB1DBF2-7EA1-4068-A79A-5B21B2943DA0.jpeg13A11A75-A90F-418C-BF36-2DA65F3DC328.jpeg590AAD60-484A-4C47-9A98-C65D91026CA9.jpeg

Reactions: GHI

IndominusHuman

I love your trailer build. I think this will be my inspiration if you don't mind.

I have a couple of questions. Do you know how much your trailer weighs? I have a two door Jk and the weight limit scares me. How did your TJ perform when towing it?

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I love your trailer build. I think this will be my inspiration if you don't mind.

I have a couple of questions. Do you know how much your trailer weighs? I have a two door Jk and the weight limit scares me. How did your TJ perform when towing it?
Dude appreciate it! Sure do it came in at 1300 lbs total weight w three 35s 210lbs, RTT 148, Big Ass Battery 50lbs and misc camping gear.... no kayaks and empty cooler

TJ did fine on secondary roads 55mph With a JK 2012-18 w the 3.6 you would be fine. The TJ on 35s no trailer brakes I wouldn’t want to emergency stop it.

If there’s anything I could help w just ask, not on here often but on IG foster_wv and #campncrawltrailer

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
We added a fridge and decided to upgrade to a set of GC2 Batteries. I always said fridges were over rated and ice was cheap well I was wrong LoL

What I’ve found that I appreciate the most is the ability to pack days in advance. No melted ice/water that makes everything soggy or wet. Also adding warm drinks as needed, no need to pack everything.

We went from a RTIC 65 to a 55L and I swear it seems like we have more room.
6B84CE6F-1757-438F-9E39-159B00E234CA.jpeg

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Been a minute since I've checked in on EP but dude, build is coming along very nicely! I like it and the improvements. Specifically the non-white lights is something we're playing with here. Bugs in the spring/fall are bad so we went with amber of a few lights. That and it doesn't kill your night vision so much. Our rear light is amber, sides are still white but we are contemplating swapping them out.

Cheers,
Jake

high-and-dry

I am in the stage of starting to look at outside lights. I am thinking the kitchen light being white, all the others amber/yellow. As someone who severely undercooked some burgers once to a red headlamp I want the kitchen light white, but it will have its own switch.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
@Jmanscotch your trailer is looking great was checking out your IG posts!

@high-and-dry dude that could def be bad, I prefer the white lights for cooking etc and only use the orange ones if there is a issue w bugs

connor016

Amazing build! After looking through countless threads this is what I would like to base my build off of.

I have a few questions for ya if you don't mind:
-Anything you think you would do different if starting from scratch?
-How does the battery hold up with the electric cooler? That seems like the way to go not dealing with all the wasted space of ice/really thick cooler walls/etc.
-It looks like you pump directly from water jugs. Do you like this approach or would you consider a tank?

Only things I might change would like to try to add solar, independent suspension, and trailer brakes possibly. Might add a swing out tire carrier on the back so I can have a box up front or a small bike rack for a trail 70. Seems like adding doors is always difficult though and your RV doors look really good.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Amazing build! After looking through countless threads this is what I would like to base my build off of.

I have a few questions for ya if you don't mind:
-Anything you think you would do different if starting from scratch?
-How does the battery hold up with the electric cooler? That seems like the way to go not dealing with all the wasted space of ice/really thick cooler walls/etc.
-It looks like you pump directly from water jugs. Do you like this approach or would you consider a tank?

Only things I might change would like to try to add solar, independent suspension, and trailer brakes possibly. Might add a swing out tire carrier on the back so I can have a box up front or a small bike rack for a trail 70. Seems like adding doors is always difficult though and your RV doors look really good.

Appreciate that!!!!

If I started over? I’d prob went slightly longer to fit a larger RTT but..... the alum sheets are 4’x12’ and this resulted in hardly no waste.

Fridge has been a great upgrade, no soggy food no ice needed wish I’d done it sooner. The batteries are two Golf Cart batteries from Sam’s Club Duracell/Deka from my math w added water pump, led lights, fan etc I should be fine for a 5 day trip so in my case no need for solar. I considered keeping the Group 31 and adding solar.

Water jugs was a no brainer for me simple easy to refill and easier to clean sanitize. Also I’m never that far away from clean water and have realized you use a lot less than you think you need. I prob use 5 -7 gallon on a long weekend max.

I’ve built my fair share of 4-link suspensions on Jeeps and considered it on the trailer but leafs are so easy/cheap plus it will rotate on the hitch before the suspension flexes so I personally thought independent suspension etc wouldn’t really be used.

Solar I might add someday if I start taking trips longer than 4-5 days. But I def like the idea

Funny you mentioned the tongue box, I’m ditiching the spare this winter and going w a 40” toolbox chest for things that get dirty like the camp chairs propane tank water jug etc

RV doors were stupid simple and highly recommend if you can find your size.

Hope all that makes sense and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions I could help with. I got a lot of my questions answered on here and hope to pay it forward. GoodLuck

Have camping pix and some random build pix etc on IG mixed in but most of it’s on here.

Last edited:

connor016

Sizing definitely makes sense for the sheets. I was just looking today at going with a 4 person Tepui vs my 3 person so might build it out large enough to fit a 4 person in the future. I really like the setup with the tent and rack making it more capable for hauling extra gear like your kayaks/etc.

I probably won't go solar if you can get that much use out of a charge. I assume you have two 6v in series then? Any advantage of this vs just a 12v if both capacity is similar in Ah? I haven't taken the time yet to do the math on power consumption of all the devices but if needed in the future you could probably make a nice add on to the rack with a slide out panel that wouldn't interfere with the tent opening. I would probably just be doing long weekends around CO and Moab so if I could recharge them while driving that wouldn't be an issue.

You are right about the solid axle/leafs especially due to the cost. By the time I get spindles, hubs, brakes, heim joints, etc there are kits much cheaper for a solid axle with leafs. I am wanting to get on some rough rocky trails and haven't had much experience hauling a trailer. My thought is that it won't be taking the same line you would want to go so the extra clearance might be worth it.

What did you end up going with on your flooring? It looks like a steel plate w/outdoor carpet from the initial pics. Also any pics of the underside? Seems like the 3x3 angle was strong enough to box it in and then did you use a 2x2 square tube to the hitch/rear of trailer and 3x3 angle for the leaf mounts going across? Probably plenty of support. I was considering cutting down to 2x2 and then running two vertical superstrut/unistrut supports on each wall on the inside not only for added support but also as anchors for tie down points/electrical panels/etc.

I am hoping to get some basic plans made up this week and steel/aluminum ordered in two weeks. Appreciate all the info you have provided here as well as your feedback.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
@connor016

Yeah I’d plan around your RTT, I like ours but a XL would be nice but just couldn’t justify it... I’m a baller on a budget LoL

The rack changed, original plan worked great I just wasn’t tall enough. And we take our yaks every trip we’ve kayaked caves rivers lakes etc
- tip I kept it low enough to hit a drive thru lol

Yes two 6V and the ah reserve is like double of a group 31. It charges as I tow and has a 4 amp charger built in so if there’s power at a camp ground or a generator I can keep it topped off. Full charge I do at home.

Here’s a topic with great info that sold me on batteries for my type of usage.

We use our trailer as a base camp it doesn’t see much off-road past a dirt road. But if was going to I’d def add trailer brakes. I still think leafs would be fine and a set cost less than one heim LoL If you go solid axle I’d go w 3500 lb axle for larger bearings. I went spring over for clearance and toes rides the same as spring under.

Floor is 1/8” sheet if I remember correctly and I cut down a carpet rug indoor outdoor style. The box is 3/16 3” angle w the 3/16” alum walls it’s solid and plenty strong. The leaf spring hangers are weld to the 3” angle. There’s three cross members rear two are notched to hold the hitch tube tongue 2”x3” is welded to middle one and will be triangulated to help strengthen it and hold the tongue box.

With the alum walls I just bolt right to it. My electrical panel I built it then used tube to space it out for clearance.

That’s awesome look forward to watching your build !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles