Camping with Firearm-Post Bear Mauling

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I got to jump in here and put some myths to rest.

First off, I am big proponent of bear spray when moving through bear country, but here is a little news for some people....bear spray doesn't always work.

Neither does a firearm, and statistically speaking a firearm is less effective in comparison. In black bear country attacks are extremely rare in the first place, add in bear spray and it's super super super super rare that someone has been attacked after deploying spray. I don't know of a single documented incident actually.

Grizzly Bears are different, but attacks are extremely rare. There are documented cases of grizzly bears being shot multiple times (even with rifles) and having plenty of gusto to kill.

On the flip side plenty of people have accidentally shot themselves or worse someone else while camping/hiking.

In the end danger from wildlife is pretty darn low on the risk ranking when out n about.

Dalko43

Explorer
Neither does a firearm

Actually a firearm almost always operates exactly the way it was intended to (I've never seen a firearm go off by itself). If there are any unintended consequences with firearm usage, its because of user error.

and statistically speaking a firearm is less effective in comparison.

I'd like to know where you are getting these statics from. And last time I checked, hunters don't go hunting bears with mace or pepper spray, but with firearms....obviously one tool is more lethal than the other.

In black bear country attacks are extremely rare in the first place, add in bear spray and it's super super super super rare that someone has been attacked after deploying spray. I don't know of a single documented incident actually.

Just because you've never heard of a case where bear spray failed doesn't mean it never does...that's a false logic you are using. Incidentally, I provided an example of where I deployed bear spray, but a bear proceeded to ignore it, charge me and steal me food bag.

Grizzly Bears are different, but attacks are extremely rare.

Grizzly bear attacks are rare for the average person only because the average person doesn't live or go near Grizzly habitat. For hikers and people who live in those regions, the possibility of attack is much greater than say someone living in NYC. Also, the consequences of suffering an attack are extreme and potentially deadly. That's why I'd rather not rely on statistics when I'm in Grizzly country; I'd rather rely on preparation and having the right tools.

There are documented cases of grizzly bears being shot multiple times (even with rifles) and having plenty of gusto to kill.

The relevant question is how many times has that happened? And where are the examples of this? Do you have any links you can share?

I think a lot of people, like you, are inclined to perpetuate and exaggerate these stories to the point where they become the new baseline for what is normal. The reality is, if the average grizzly bear even hears a firearm discharge, he/she will likely evacuate the area in a very quick fashion...or if it should escalate into a deadly confrontation, most bears will cease their aggression after receiving a few shots from even a small caliber like 9mm....believe it or not, 9mm is very painful when it enters your body and is well capable of penetrating through the vital organs of most animals.

In fact, to dispell some of these rumors you seem so fond of perpetuating, here are 2 examples of hunters scaring off charging bears with gunshots alone:

On the flip side plenty of people have accidentally shot themselves or worse someone else while camping/hiking.

How many is "plenty"? Are you simply retelling an editorial piece by USA Today or have you actually researched this topic?

People do hurt themselves with firearms. A firearm is not inherently dangerous or evil; it is simply a tool. It's safety and effectiveness relies totally on the responsibility of the user. People also do hurt themselves with alcohol and cars (hundreds of thousands are wounded and tens of thousands are killed every year in drunk driving accidents). That doesn't make either a car or alcohol any more dangerous in my eyes...it just means that they need to be used responsibly.

In the end danger from wildlife is pretty darn low on the risk ranking when out n about.

In the end, the danger from any sort of injury, whether it be hypothermia, dehydration, physical assault from a criminal or a deadly encounter with an apex predator, is greatly exacerbated due to the fact that there is normally very little in the way of help or aid. Whenever I go into the wild, I don't start acting paranoid and look over my shoulder every few seconds for the next "ambush" or "surprise attack." But I do plan on being self-sufficient should I encounter an emergency (plan for the worst, hope for the best). IMO, carrying a firearm gives you the opportunity to diffuse what would otherwise become deadly situations; and in the event that they do become deadly, firearms are a last resort for defending yourself. It's one of many tools that I believe in having on my person when I am out in the wild. It's an approach that many other people have adopted.

Just because you don't agree with that approach, doesn't mean it's inherently wrong or stupid.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I didn't say it was stupid simply that with bears spray it's porbably not the best choice especially for most people.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf
http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/BearSprayVsBullets.pdf
From this one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.342/abstract
"Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. "

and in this one guy gets shot by buddy during attack: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...st-not-bear-medical-examiner-article-1.953217

I work with wildlife on a regular basis including trapping/radio collaring bears in the past. I spend a mass amount of time in the woods all over the country for work and for play and have had exactly 1 negative bear encounter....I was bluff charged to within 10 feet of a 300lb male black bear. We both walked away unharmed. I am also a hunter and grew up in MT, spending a lot of time in Grizzly bear country. An just an aside I also enjoy sport shooting.

Guns are tools and don't just go off but they can be dropped and go off (rare but happens) or a trigger can be pulled when it shouldn't or someone points it in the wrong direction or doesn't use a back stop, etc. etc. They are operated and secured by humans who aren't exactly robots and make lots of mistakes.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...al-forest-shooting-highlights-growing-problem
http://www.wtvy.com/home/headlines/11251916.html
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=tycEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1584,1951179&hl=en
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...608_1_shooting-father-criminal-charges-camper
http://exotichikes.com/shooting-death-in-yellowstone-from-grant-campground/
http://www.wta.org/trail-news/signpost/hiker-killed-by-hunter-on-sauk-mountain
http://www.kpho.com/story/28167055/hiker-accidentally-shot-in-south-mountain-park-in-phoenix

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I didn't say it was stupid simply that with bears spray it's porbably not the best choice especially for most people.

Who are you to decide what is the best choice for bear defense for most people? That's a choice best left up to the individual.

From this one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.342/abstract
"Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. "

You provided one study, a highly subjective one at that. I don't really understand how they categorized injuries and determined what the respective "rates of injuries" within those who used firearms and those who didn't. Did they count a scraped knee as an injury in the same way they counted a chewed up leg as one? Also why did they not compare bear incidents involving firearms with bear incidents involving bear spray? It seems to me that would be an obvious way to determine whether guns are truly effective or not. Their methodology is conveniently vague on these issues.

Anyhow, the last part of the abstract pretty much summarizes the reason for carrying a firearm in bear country:

Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear.

That's ultimately why many people choose to carry firearms when moving through bear country. Grizzlies and Polar bears are apex predators, meaning if they attack a human for whatever reason (food, territory, protecting cubs) they are fully capable of killing you. The only thing that will for sure stop such an attack is a firearm, not bear spray.

Congratulations on finding one example where using a firearm backfired during the bear encounter. I'm absolutely positive that there are similar results for bear spray...does that mean either means is a less of a deterrent? No. It means they are both tools that need to be used responsibly.

I work with wildlife on a regular basis including trapping/radio collaring bears in the past. I spend a mass amount of time in the woods all over the country for work and for play and have had exactly 1 negative bear encounter....I was bluff charged to within 10 feet of a 300lb male black bear. We both walked away unharmed. I am also a hunter and grew up in MT, spending a lot of time in Grizzly bear country. An just an aside I also enjoy sport shooting.

Good for you. Just understand that everyone has different experiences. A survivor of a bear mauling may have a different perspective on this issue and may feel the need, justifiably so, to bring extra protection in the form of a firearm. And I really don't care what your experiences are with regards to shooting and hunting. That doesn't make your argument any more or less credible.

See my previous posts. I already acknowledged that guns are tools. The only reason they accidentally kill/injure is because people use them irresponsibly. I'm not sure why you feel the need to post all kinds of 'accidental shootings.' What are you trying to prove?

Edit: You say up front that you aren't criticizing people who carry firearms for bear defense, yet all of your posts and comments are attempting to portray gun owners as irresponsible, immature and improperly trained idiots who are more likely to hurt themselves or their friends rather than the aggressor animal. Such comments are unwarranted and unfounded. There are over 150 million guns in private hands. It is estimated (impossible to know the exact number) that there are hundreds of thousands of gun owners in America. Why are we not seeing accidental shootings and irresponsible gun usage on a mass scale? Is it possible that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are law-abiding and responsible citizens? Just putting that out there for you to chew on.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I got to jump in here and put some myths to rest.
I hate to say it, but some of your information is inconsistent with what many people consider common knowledge.

Firstly, as said above, there is a considerable difference in behaviors between wild bears, habituated bears, black bears and brown bears. Different scenarios often require different defensive approaches.

Secondly, it has been statistically proven that using a firearm for bear defense has resulted in more injuries and deaths (human) than defensive uses of spray.

I found lots of good info that I used to write this piece:

http://expeditionportal.com/bear-aware-why-some-say-spray/

I'm certainly no bear expert, but the actual experts are not hiding and their information is readily available. I did spend many years living in a place where massive brown bears (the bigger griz) were frequently visiting my yard and a daily part of my outdoor life. Misinformation abounds. Like those who think dryer sheets repel bears. Really? Really? I've watched bears eat mothballs like tic-tacs. They were supposed to repel bears by one self proclaimed "expert."

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
And according to naturalist and researcher Tom Smith, shooting a bear often plays to its natural defense mechanisms and not in favor of the shooter. When you poke a hole in a bear, it instantly discharges mass amounts of adrenaline. A response the bear has developed to allow it to fight despite really ugly wounds. Ever see video of bears fighting? You can have a bear gushing buckets of blood and it will fight like it's turbo-charged.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The same applies to bears. Somewhere in the deep woods, is there a huge, BAMF of a grizzly that could soak up a shot or two from a small caliber pistol and continue his charge? Maybe. What's the probability of you meeting that guy? More importantly, what's the probability of that BAMF grizzly continuing his charge after he takes 4-5 more shots? The answer: very low.
Again...huge difference between skittish black bears like I saw last week in Colorado, and the gigantic browns that were in my yard weekly in Alaska. And yes, I have seen a bear shot right within sight of our house. It was a cranky 3 year old who just left his mamma and liked our rural neighborhood too much. So much, Fish and Game decided he had to be dispatched. When he was shot initially with a large caliber rifle, he went berserk and threw patches of dirt with a single swipe of his paw big enough to fill a bucket full of dirt. He knocked down sapling trees as big around as a Louisville Slugger and continued to be in "eat someone's head mode" until the third shot.

So, your information is a little bit off for some bear encounters. Many of us HAVE been out in the great outdoors and come across that BAMF grizz...many times. Some of us have been charged. Even successfully sprayed multiple bears. It's super scary but more common than you think. Shooting the bear usually (statistically) increases the chance of a bear playing t-ball with your noggin.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Who are you to decide what is the best choice for bear defense for most people? That's a choice best left up to the individual.

You provided one study, a highly subjective one at that. I don't really understand how they categorized injuries and determined what the respective "rates of injuries" within those who used firearms and those who didn't. Did they count a scraped knee as an injury in the same way they counted a chewed up leg as one? Also why did they not compare bear incidents involving firearms with bear incidents involving bear spray? It seems to me that would be an obvious way to determine whether guns are truly effective or not. Their methodology is conveniently vague on these issues.

Anyhow, the last part of the abstract pretty much summarizes the reason for carrying a firearm in bear country:

That's ultimately why many people choose to carry firearms when moving through bear country. Grizzlies and Polar bears are apex predators, meaning if they attack a human for whatever reason (food, territory, protecting cubs) they are fully capable of killing you. The only thing that will for sure stop such an attack is a firearm, not bear spray.

Congratulations on finding one example where using a firearm backfired during the bear encounter. I'm absolutely positive that there are similar results for bear spray...does that mean either means is a less of a deterrent? No. It means they are both tools that need to be used responsibly.

Good for you. Just understand that everyone has different experiences. A survivor of a bear mauling may have a different perspective on this issue and may feel the need, justifiably so, to bring extra protection in the form of a firearm. And I really don't care what your experiences are with regards to shooting and hunting. That doesn't make your argument any more or less credible.

See my previous posts. I already acknowledged that guns are tools. The only reason they accidentally kill/injure is because people use them irresponsibly. I'm not sure why you feel the need to post all kinds of 'accidental shootings.' What are you trying to prove?

Edit: You say up front that you aren't criticizing people who carry firearms for bear defense, yet all of your posts and comments are attempting to portray gun owners as irresponsible, immature and improperly trained idiots who are more likely to hurt themselves or their friends rather than the aggressor animal. Such comments are unwarranted and unfounded. There are over 150 million guns in private hands. It is estimated (impossible to know the exact number) that there are hundreds of thousands of gun owners in America. Why are we not seeing accidental shootings and irresponsible gun usage on a mass scale? Is it possible that the overwhelming majority of gun owners are law-abiding and responsible citizens? Just putting that out there for you to chew on.

1. The best info we have are the couple studies that have analyzed the incidents in a methodical manner.
2. It is extremely rare for a bear attack to happen in the first place. If it does, bear spray is the most likely method to A. Stop an attack and B. Lower injury rate. No one killed their friend with bear spray while being attacked by a bear.....and again you asked for information/examples/links so I provided some. Have people stopped a bear attack with a gun? Absolutely. Does that make it better than bear spray? Data (at this time) shows no.
3. You asked for examples of people outdoors being accidentally injured/killed by firearms. I provided numerous examples per your request. There are more accidental firearm deaths/injuries than bears attacks. By far.
4. I included my background as it's simply good practice to find common ground. I'm not having a pissing contest with you, just a discussion. I happen to have a lot of experience in this field both personally and professionally. If I want the best information possible on getting my roof replaced I ask a professional roofer. There is more than one way to skin a cat, I am expressing my opinion based on the best available science and personal judgment from professional and personal experience. You have your own opinion and I completely respect and understand where you are coming from. If everyone thought logically and critically about their choices regardless of end result it would make me quite happy even if I didn't agree with them.
5. Yes the overwhelming majority of gun owners (including myself, and likely you) are responsible. That doesn't mean we should encourage every person to carry as there are alternatives (that have been proven at the very least equally effective in bear encounters). Not everyone is responsible. Not everyone practices safety. Not everyone trains. Not everyone is capable of making shots under pressure. Everyone makes mistakes. There were less than 12 bear deaths in CONUS since 2000 whereas in a single year (Dec. 12'- Dec. 13') over 100 kids died from unintentional shootings and 51 people per year on average are killed by lightning.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Dalko43, I say this with all due respect. I sense that your understanding of black bear behavior is accurate, but your understanding of brown bears, their habitat, the number of human encounters, and how they are defended against could not be more wrong.

I don't have the inclination to do your research for you, but Greg Strevler, Tom Smith, and a host of other researchers have covered this topic top to bottom over the course of decades of study and your conclusions are inaccurate and not based on any hard science.

When I lived in Alaska, I was responsible for the safety of 50+ employees and nearly 10,000 annual clients, all of whom we place on the doorstep of big bears. We dedicated a week of each year working with Fish and Game, bear attack investigators, naturalists and other authorities.

NONE, and I repeat, NONE, advocated anything other than sound bear smarts, bear spray and a dose of luck. Oddly enough, it was the Sheriff, a former animal attack investigator who most ardently opposed the use of firearms for defense.

Dalko43

Explorer
Dalko43, I say this with all due respect. I sense that your understanding of black bear behavior is accurate, but your understanding of brown bears, their habitat, the number of human encounters, and how they are defended against could not be more wrong.

Please feel free to enlighten me on what it is I don't understand about brown bear habitat and behavior that would otherwise allow me to have a more "informed" point of view on bear defense.

I've encountered brown bear as well as black bear. I'm familiar with their behavior and where they live.

I think the problem is not that I have a misinformed view on how to handle bear encounters, but rather that you, and a few others, are all too willing to criticize those who espouse a different approach.

I think also that some on this forum are categorizing firearm carriers as trigger-happy, irresponsible people who are more likely to do themselves more harm than good with a firearm in a bear encounter.

I believe in responsible firearm ownership and usage. I also believe in only using firearms as a last resort, even when it comes to animal encounters. I've had close encounters with bears on several occasions and never once had to resort to using a firearm (either as a warning or to apply lethal force).

If your good luck and bear tactics have enabled you to successfully avoid bear encounters, that's good for you. Like I said earlier, everyone has different experiences when it comes to the outdoors and different preferences when it comes to preparing for emergencies. If someone wants to carry a firearm for bear defense, that's perfectly okay so long as they use the firearm appropriately....if someone wants refrain from carrying a firearm, that's fine too.

There's no need to criticize someone else simply because their experiences and approach are different from your own.

Last edited:

rgallant

Adventurer

That was good read and pretty valid, I think what a lot of pro-firearms people miss is that bear spray is an area device. "Shot" placement is the head region, ideally right on the nose but the front of the head works. A firearm requires precision a shot, to the heart, spine or shoulder - (big slug shotgun for the shoulder) a much more difficult shot on a charging bear for average firearms user, especially considering you only get one.

Having said that I carry both, but I prefer to practice avoidance rather than defense. Being aware of your environment protects you from a variety of wildlife, you think a charging bear is scary try a bad tempered Bull Moose.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Please feel free to enlighten me on what it is I don't understand about brown bear habitat and behavior that would otherwise allow me to have a more "informed" point of view on bear defense..
You made a couple comments that are regarded as inaccurate by almost all of the authorities on the subject, but let me preface this by saying, this has nothing to do with the decision to carry or not carry.

So, some of the misconceptions I noted in your previous posts:

- Brown bear encounters with humans are very common. There was even a death in Wyoming this year. So when you say it's rare for a human to encounter a brown bear, that is inaccurate. Within this context, charges are even common, but attacks are very, very rare.

- You state that an attack will never be stopped by bear spray. This too is inaccurate. Once a bear has made actual contact, it's hard to evaluate the effectiveness of anything, gun, spray or noise, but many charges and would-be attacks have been assuaged by spray. Happens all the time.

- You assert that shooting a bear will cause it to stop an attack. Biology and statistics confirm the opposite. As I said before, brown bears are biologically wired to override signals from injury so they can fight to the death, or close to it. Shooting a bear activates the responses you don't want to activate...heightened aggression. That's not an opinion, that's scientific fact. The experts agree, once a bear has been wounded, it's instinct is not to retreat. This is why many people shoot at the ground and not at the bear. The noise may be a far better deterrent than the hole you poked in the bear with a bullet.

- You say that people have a choice of defense. Okay, I'll give you that, but again, understanding how bears tick, certain "choices" are more sound than others.

At the root of it, it's about understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a bear and how leveraging those elements is critical to your safety. If a bear's nose is 1000 times more sensitive than a bloodhound's nose, then shooting it full of pepper spray is highly effective. That's why you would kick me in the nuts and not my thigh if you wanted to hurt me. :)

Again, this isn't about guns. It's about bears. This is also why out of 269 studied bear attacks where a gun was used for defense, the result were 17 dead people. Of 133 uses of spray, no deaths. That says something right there.

-

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
You know you do have the ability to quote posts from other people; that might be helpful in a situation like this where you are trying to dispute statements that you're attributing to others. The problem with your response is that it heavily paraphrases (and simplifies) what I said, and in some points of your response, you've assigned statements to me that I never made in the first place.

So, some of the misconceptions I noted in your previous posts:

- Brown bear encounters with humans are very common. There was even a death in Wyoming this year. So when you say it's rare for a human to encounter a brown bear, that is inaccurate. Within this context, charges are even common, but attacks are very, very rare.

I never said that encounters with brown bear are rare, though I would like to see you provide some statistics on how many people moving through grizzly country actually get charged.

I said that its highly unlikely for the average hiker/traveler to encounter the type of grizzly that has the temperament, size and drive to soak up a few shots and continue its charge/aggression (which I termed so scientifically as a "BAMF" grizzly). People like to perpetuate this myth that every brown bear out there is fully capable and willing of ignoring warning shots and even direct impacts. The reality is that most bears will evacuate the area simply after hearing the discharge (I provided evidence of this in 2 videos showing hunters involved in bear charges). For those bears that ignore the warning shots, it only takes a few mildly well placed shots for that animal to lose its ability to move and function (I say mild because the chest, head, hips are somewhat big areas on the bear).

- You state that an attack will never be stopped by bear spray. This too is inaccurate. Once a bear has made actual contact, it's hard to evaluate the effectiveness of anything, gun, spray or noise, but many charges and would-be attacks have been assuaged by spray. Happens all the time.

Again, you need to go back to what I said (a quote would have been helpful here). I didn't say bear spray never works. I said that it doesn't always work. I know bear spray has a fairly high success rate (and that's actually why I advocate carrying it in bear country, regardless of whether or not you are armed). However I also know that it has been known to fail (I had such an experience with a charging black bear, referred to in a previous post).

- You assert that shooting a bear will cause it to stop an attack. Biology and statistics confirm the opposite. As I said before, brown bears are biologically wired to override signals from injury so they can fight to the death, or close to it. Shooting a bear activates the responses you don't want to activate...heightened aggression. That's not an opinion, that's scientific fact. The experts agree, once a bear has been wounded, it's instinct is not to retreat. This is why many people shoot at the ground and not at the bear. The noise may be a far better deterrent than the hole you poked in the bear with a bullet.

Here you're paraphrasing what I said. I said a firearm is the only way to lethally stop a bear (which is actually confirmed by one of the studies that pirate provided earlier). And I would dispute your "scientific fact" that shooting a bear will only encourage it to attack more for several reasons:

- Can that happen? Yes, for sure. But will it happen with every bear you could possibly encounter? Definitely not. Pain is a big reason animals decide to cease their actions in many situations. In fact, the only reason bear spray even has a chance of deterring a bear is because it causes pain...so if firearms "fail" because the pain they cause will only further enrage a bear, then why does that same logic not apply to bear spray?

- Firearms obviously do work to overcome the bear's size and aggression, otherwise why would DEC, game wardens use them to put down problem bears or why would hunters use them to kill bears?

- You're not simply poking a hole in an animal when you shoot it. That's greatly over simplifying how firearms and bullets work. A firearm sends a bullet into the intended target. Depending on the type and size of the bullet, the bullet will usually do one of 2 things: it will tumble around inside the target, ripping up any organs/tissue/muscle it comes into contact with; or it will carry enough energy to penetrate through the entire animal and any organs, bone, muscle, tissue in its path. The latter bullet type, especially in an expanding hollow point, is extremely effective at pushing through animal's mass and destroying vital organs. The deterrent in using a firearm is not that the bear will shy away from its attack after getting "poked," but rather that it won't be able to continue on its attack when it suffers a sucking chest wound or a shot through the brain/central nervous system, or a shot into its hip/groin area....the bear's "wiring" is not able to cope with those kinds of debilitating shots; it will collapse from those kinds of injuries.

- You say that people have a choice of defense. Okay, I'll give you that, but again, understanding how bears tick, certain "choices" are more sound than others.

Not really. Carrying a firearm for defense against animals, especially apex predators which are fully capable of killing humans, is a perfectly sound choice. If you and others want to rely on statistics and the bear being dissuaded by an irritant, that's fine. A firearm is an extra level of protection that some people prefer, and given the fact that we as humans are simply one of many species in the food chain, there certainly is justification in having that extra protection.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Having said that I carry both, but I prefer to practice avoidance rather than defense. Being aware of your environment protects you from a variety of wildlife, you think a charging bear is scary try a bad tempered Bull Moose.

Perhaps the most sound advice I've seen yet on this thread. Incidentally, that's my approach as well:

Carry a primary and a secondary tool for this type of emergency, and do everything in your power to avoid the situation all together.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Dalko, I still think you don't fully understand what many of the experts are saying about injured bears and how they react when injured. I think you also don't fully grasp how spray effects their most sensitive sensory system. It doesn't just cause pain, it causes extreme disorientation. It is an overwhelming of their olfactory system. Again, like blowing a train whistle next to your head. It attacks the most vulnerable aspect of their biology.

A gun wound often does not debilitate a bear in any capacity, but unfortunately for the shooter, initiates that part of a bear's biology you don't want to initiate - it's amplified desire and ability to fight. So, a gun wound has to overcome the biology of a bear that evolution has made its most imposing strength. It's ability to fight with severe wounds.

Ultimately, the experts all agree, the ability for any marksmen to place a debilitating round in a bear during an attack is highly unlikely as evidenced by the 269/17 attack to dead guy ratio verses the 133/0 results of spray.

There's a crap load of anecdotal and scientific evidence around to support what all of the bear experts have to say. What I continue to notice is this: Those who want to feel more secure with a firearm seem to wiggle the stats and science to support their desire to carry a gun. It's a bizarre phenomenon. I don't have a want to use spray, or a desire not to use a firearm. I have a legitimate need to understand the science and when confronted by a bear, understand how to not induce the worst case outcome. It was most important to me when understanding this information was not just a matter of protecting my own person, but the thousands of clients I was charged with keeping safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier