Camping With 3 Girls: An M416 Build

IMG_20180422_194533_804.jpg

Long story short:

I bought an M416 3 years ago with plans to make it easier to camp with my wife and 2 daughter's near Pittsburgh. It sat untouched for 2 years, waiting for me to get the motivation.

After stumbling on to @Jake Wettern | iamjake's YouTube channel, I got the bug again.

Plans were to make it a pack mule for our gear, and after looking at a bunch of builds on another overlanding site, I had my plan.

Current build:

3500lb axle with 5x5 lugs to match the JK.
33" tires
Raptor lined entire tub with exterior painted gray over raptor liner
Completely cleaned up frame and extended tongue
New oe springs
Rear hitch
Custom made utility rack with 360° lighting
Tub lights
Led markers and brake lights
Tongue box with deep cycle battery and control center
Smittybilt overlander xl rtt and annex.

...and a bunch of other stuff.

If you have any suggestions feel free to suggest. Hope you enjoy! Pictures to follow.

Last edited:
Why paint over bedliner, vs using tinted?
I wanted to avoid having to spray black while taping off the whole outside of the tub, then alternately, taping off all the black I sprayed and spraying tinted raptor.

Plus I had some laying around from an old project I never finished.

Honestly the paint over looks so much nicer I'm because it's a gloss paint AND clear. Makes it stand out from the black.

RedM101A2

Very nice! I like that lower shock mount.
Not too many trailer guys in Pittsburgh.
Nice to see the Bug out thing is catching on. More to life than Black and Gold!

Looks good. Why stop short on the fenders? Trailer is a mud and rock throwing machine.
The axle was a leftover from an earlier project I never started. So it pushed the tires out further, not to mention, the wheels had heavy backspacing. I still have plans to extend them.

Very nice! I like that lower shock mount.
Not too many trailer guys in Pittsburgh.
Nice to see the Bug out thing is catching on. More to life than Black and Gold!
Thanks! I saw that on another trailer build and used it. It's a 6" bolt I welded onto the spring plate. There's a guy down the road from me in Bethel that I bought my m416 off of that has a m101a painted orange to match his jku. His has a rack and rtt also.

If you have any good places to 4wd camp/ off grid lemme know. We're trying out the Allegheny National Forest in month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online