Camping Totes or Dry Food Storage

What is everyone using for storage totes or how do you carry your dry food while expeditioning?

We all have coolers and fridges, and I've seen a few camp kitchen setups, but I never seen what people are carrying their bread, chips, canned goods, etc... in. I've seen a lot of people use those action packers, but I feel like they waste a ton of space. Any other suggestions? I need to figure out a better storage setup for the back of my 4runner.

Kevin

Rushalong

I use Front Runner Cub Packs
I use a small cooler with movable top handle as my dry box. It's easily moved in or out, and can double as a "cold box" when needed for overflow from the refrigerator. I can secure it with a velcro strap to keep critters out if necessary. Been using this method for many years.

pluton

Adventurer
I just acquired Front Runner Wolf packs x2 to replace a single tall Zarges case. I plan to stack them on top of one another. They represent the middle ground between cheapo clear polypropylene boxes, polyethylene totes, and Action Packers at the low end, and high priced items like Pelican and Zarges cases. I honestly don't know how much more space efficient than Action Packers they are, but the straight sides and stackability appealed to me.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use really heavy duty cardboard boxes that wineries ship 4-bottles laying sideways to my house. They just happen to fit nicely on my shelf in the Jeep and for some reason there seems to be an endless supply...

slomatt

Adventurer
Recently I've been using a collapsible crate from Costco. The sides are vertical so it is very space efficient when loaded, and as the food supply is used up it can be collapsed to save space if needed. It lives in the truck full time and is also useful for holding small items purchased at the store or for keeping propane tanks upright. I built a plywood "lid" so that other stuff can be stacked on top, or it can be used as flat surface if my kid wants to draw.

IMG_1007.jpg

emulous74

Now that I have fridges, I use my Yeti Tundra coolers for dry food, It really keeps dry food longer, being airtight and the humidity not getting into the food. Obviously an expensive route if you don't have them no longer used and hanging around.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For dry good that don't have to be kept cool, we used latching storage totes from Wal Mart.

I think they're Rubbermaid? No clue. Honestly didn't pay attention to the brand.
e75b1d0cbd85a7a776b3f184c75c9848.jpg

Before that, we used a Deluxe Cabelas camp kitchen. We had to put the 'pantries' in the truck every time we stepped away from camp and before bed every night. Kind of a pain.

138348-205372.jpg

We didn't keep the camp kitchen very long. It took up a lot of storage space, was heavy in the storage bag and we found it unnecessary.

It was replaced with a Wally World folding table.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use a Sterilite tote, which isn't important, except that it's a good fit for the under-bed storage area in my van, and it's lightweight. For me the critical thing is that my chips don't get crushed and the bread doesn't get squished. My solution for this is my low-budget "TrekPak"-like dividers made from coroplast. I have a whole blog-post here on how I built this system.

IMG_20180615_065914.jpg

The other key thing about having dividers is you have less of the "avalanche" effect. When I need the pasta sauce, I can grab it without having 20 other things slide over the top into that space.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, ammo cans are easier. Nothing to "build". Perfect size, strong, waterproof, fit anywhere, stack nicely.

towee

Cub packs and wolf packs. I use em for firewood, charcoal, food storage and sometimes even clothing. Basically anything that doesn’t stay in the drawers permanently that is trip specific. I can carry 4 wolfs on the canopy and 2 cubs on top of my drawers if needed.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, ammo cans are easier. Nothing to "build". Perfect size, strong, waterproof, fit anywhere, stack nicely.
Counterpoint: my 15-gallon plastic tub with movable dividers weighs ~5lbs, about the same as a single 50-cal steel ammo can (that has 1/8th the internal volume).

I'm all for protecting my food, but there's a level of overkill I can't justify when it comes to weight.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My homemade platform system in the back of a 200 series can hold six wolf packs.
On the right side I have a wolf pack with recovery gear pushed to the front and the flat pack filled with hygiene supplies.

On the left are two boxes for dry goods. On the deck, I have room for boxes or whatever. One box might hold our "city' clothing when we visit friends while on the road.

The roof has two small Alu Boxes one with bat wing walls and the other with jumper cables, winch extension spare belt , hoses, air filter ,shop towels etc.

Campfire in a Can , Gazelle gazebo and another Alu Box for misc stuff.

All in all, I think the setup is very modular with boxes removed it need be or added.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 113
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 116
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 114
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg