Camping Totes or Dry Food Storage

jgaz

Adventurer
I use a 56qt. Plano Sportsman Trunk for the simple reason that it’s the largest, fairly straight sided, tote that fits into my truck tool box.

886ECBCB-FAC5-4D57-85C8-52A5D775B782.jpeg

I followed the @Herbie method of adding some dividers. Thanks for that idea.
C0DC98D8-6578-4358-BF21-0C4E37FD7327.jpeg

Kinda empty now.
Just waiting to get the green light to continue my PSAR volunteer work at the Canyon.

86scotty

Cynic
That's big and nice. I should've started with one, or two of those. In my pics above I cut up some 1/2 birch ply to make my organizers. It's thicker but I needed at least 1/2" for screws to bite and last and for nothing to flex. My MO was to be able to store and use my butane stove from the top without removing it from the box for quick trailside coffee, so I needed sturdy.

I've had the chuck box I pictured in my head for years and just finally built it before our last trip. It worked out phenomenally well. I wish I had made it years ago. Kitchen organization is a constant battle.

Florida Native

My MO was to be able to store and use my butane stove from the top without removing it from the box for quick trailside coffee
I like that idea! No problems with heat dissipation running the stove where it is in the pic?

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
I like that idea! No problems with heat dissipation running the stove where it is in the pic?

No, unless there is high wind. Butane stoves don't like high wind anyway so I put it on the tailgate between two totes and it does ok. The stove sits in the closed tote about a half inch from the top of the tote so I do let it cool down a few minutes after I use before I close up.

pluton

Adventurer
Just got back from 3.5 day desert camping, first time using 2 Wolf Pack boxes for dry/non-refrigerated food. Thumbs up. Worked fine. Plan to buy 1 or 2 more in order to more efficiently utilize the extremely limited space inside the 1997 4Runner. BTW, As soon as I received them, I plugged the 4 bottom holes with RTV.

Halligan

Adventurer
I went a little crazy recently and purchased. Milwaukee Packout cases. They are pricey but are very heavy duty, stack and interlock with each other, have an O-ring gasket, positive latching and they are waterproof. Hopefully they should be critter proof (within reason). I also have some Craftsman totes that have lid latches for larger non food items.

Mgyver1

Observer
I have this tote from The Container Store and am very happy with it. It’s got a gasket to help keep water & bugs out, and the lid is very strong so you can stand on the box. I wish I could find the same style box that’s slightly smaller.

RothsMonster

I have this tote from The Container Store and am very happy with it. It’s got a gasket to help keep water & bugs out, and the lid is very strong so you can stand on the box. I wish I could find the same style box that’s slightly smaller.

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for to replace my tired Sterilite tote. Now to find out how to get one in Alaska...

dreadlocks

Milk Crates are my go to, they stack nice, are easy to bolt/strap down, dirt falls out the bottom.. tho for bread I keep that in the Microwave because its otherwise empty.
IMG_20200729_191521.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I still use a DeWalt Tough System XL box. It has a gasket and very strong latches so it might not be easy for a bear to smell food in it, and would give quite a tussle to any hungry b'ar. It is easily strong enough to sit or stand on (and I'm 270 lbs) and makes a great bench for lunch on the trail. Also, the tool rack along the back of the compartment is perfect for stashing eating utensils.

I cover the DeWalt logo with stickers to make it more overlandish. :)

Earlier this week I received (4) Camp Cover Ammo Boxes, same as the Front Runner Wolf Packs, from OK4WD. I bought these to replace my (2) 24 ga. Rubbermaid Action Packers. Just finished packing them for a 10 day excursion and was thoroughly impressed with the way I was able to organize and access my gear. Two of them stacked fits just under my rolling tonneau cover. I’m going to refine what goes in each box during the trip and then come home and label each box accordingly. So far I’m impressed.

Reactions: WVI

m-l_johnny

I recently picked up similar, but the Rigid boxes. They too, have the seal. Don't like bugs and spiders getting in my gear. So far, loving them. I did remove the wheels and telescoping handle from the base unit, as they took up a lot of usable space in the Jeep.
I also like that they can be secured together, making them one unit and therefore easier to secure n the vehicle to help avoid any moving vehicle mishaps. What isn't secured becomes a projectile in the unfortunate event of a crash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles