Camping Totes or Dry Food Storage

1000arms

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Are they similar to these?

Yep I have 6 of them work pretty good and Racoon tested. I did crack the lid on one over packing it and forcing the lid on but they work pretty good. I noticed last summer they had a smaller size too.

Those are a good price point, but look at all that space they waste!

So far I'm digging the front runner boxes and the Ridgid tool boxes from home depot.

Kevin

1000arms

Costco yellow top bins $8 ish a bin. They stack nice in the garage with my various gear in them when not camping.

Yep I have 6 of them work pretty good and Raccoon tested. I did crack the lid on one over packing it and forcing the lid on but they work pretty good. I noticed last summer they had a smaller size too.
Those are a good price point, but look at all that space they waste!

So far I'm digging the front runner boxes and the Ridgid tool boxes from home depot.

Kevin
@calicamper posted the Costco version (I was just asking if the Home Depot version I use just around the house was similar), and they seem to be working for him. Although I grinned when I read "Raccoon tested", that is a useful endorsement. I think @IdaSHO needs to stencil that on his newly painted camper, assuming his camper has earned it though proper testing. :cool:

@MTVR might be heading for "Godzilla tested" on his rig. :unsure:

@Ghetto Fab. I agree with you that there is space wasted, but for the cost, and especially the quick, stack-able, loading/unloading of gear from house to vehicle, I think they would be a great choice for some people.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can stack two high in the 2019 Expedition. 28 1/4. Inches high two stacked. My 07 Sequoia had more head room no 3rd row under the floor. So I lost my sleeping bag top stash spot. But Floor width wise I gained some so probably about the same useful space behind the 2nd row in the 2019 Expedition. Grr sideways photo sorry
Trying to figure out my packing headed up to Yosemite next week, camping at family property so no issues on the C-19 stuff. First trip with the Expedition and two more Adult sized bikes?‍♂️. Kids are getting big might need a bigger trailer at some point.

Attachments

• 3344CF23-76BF-4795-B952-C4E8F96A71B5.jpeg
    3344CF23-76BF-4795-B952-C4E8F96A71B5.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 51

86scotty

Cynic
FYI, Walmart (and likely other places) have basically the same ones but they have locking lids. I don't love the yellow lids but I do love the black bins. Nothing's perfect....and you won't lose a lid due to the color and/or the locks.

The good: They are less than $10 per and have the shallow ones to match as well as smaller sizes, meaning smaller footprint.
The bad: They did not stand up to the seat test. I cracked a lid sitting on one.

Imagine this with a lid, my chuck box creation.
9963fee478dcdc82c9005d9fdf015c9b.jpg

532878a9a521a7405d002ac3b93ed8ed.jpg

fb5290ec39fef8ca8d5afba3a8764131.jpg

4024da7bffb239817c74a041115a1d77.jpg

Last edited:

Florida Native

We had one of the black with yellow lid ones. Lid broke on I think the third time we stacked something on top of it. The lids are very flimsy and will not withstand even remotely rough handling.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Some of yall are so organized. It takes me 15 minutes to find the mustard in my Rubbermaid containers :/
I think dividers will be a good weekend project, and we sell corrugated plastic at work!
I love this site. Some great ideas on here.

Another tip for anyone who doesn't want to spend the money on new corrugated plastic: The 2020 election cycle is ramping up, which means roadside campaign sign breeding season is upon us. Very soon, there will be a whole fresh crop of corrugated plastic to harvest. Note that the wire "pegs" used to plant them are also the perfect sized wire to bend into pins to tie your dividers together.

I always wait until the day after the election to start harvesting - nobody ever cleans up those signs anyway, so it's a win-win.

Another tip for anyone who doesn't want to spend the money on new corrugated plastic: The 2020 election cycle is ramping up, which means roadside campaign sign breeding season is upon us. Very soon, there will be a whole fresh crop of corrugated plastic to harvest. Note that the wire "pegs" used to plant them are also the perfect sized wire to bend into pins to tie your dividers together.

I always wait until the day after the election to start harvesting - nobody ever cleans up those signs anyway, so it's a win-win.
I get a good deal on it. 30 cents a square foot. Done got me a bunch of them in the truck. Im ready to go.
Thanks for the idea!

WVI

Adventurer
Ha... Herbie, I just thought of this the other day thanks to your post a while back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94