Camping Totes or Dry Food Storage

1000arms

I still use a DeWalt Tough System XL box. It has a gasket and very strong latches so it might not be easy for a bear to smell food in it, and would give quite a tussle to any hungry b'ar. It is easily strong enough to sit or stand on (and I'm 270 lbs) and makes a great bench for lunch on the trail. Also, the tool rack along the back of the compartment is perfect for stashing eating utensils.

I cover the DeWalt logo with stickers to make it more overlandish. :)

A bears sense of smell is on par or better than a Bloodhound. A bear can smell whatever is inside a DeWalt box.
"The area inside a black bear's nose, called the nasal mucosa, is 100 times greater than ours. This large nose results in an excellent sense of smell! Even bloodhounds, dogs so famous for their sense of smell that they're used to track missing people, don't smell as well a black bear. It is estimated that black bears' sense of smell is about seven times greater than a bloodhound's."

From the link:

You might find the photos and video link interesting. Scroll down on page:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yes, yes, I know it won't be bear proof. All I said is it might not be easy for a bear to smell food in it. From up close, yes I'm sure they can, I've seen the amazing things a dog's nose can do and a bear's nose is similar. But I'm also pretty sure it is sealed well enough that it won't attract bears from a distance.

1000arms

... I'm also pretty sure it is sealed well enough that it won't attract bears from a distance.
:unsure: ... Well, I respect that you might be pretty sure, but, just being pretty sure about it doesn't mean it is true. :cool:

"Conservative estimates of a black bear's sense of smell state that a black bear can smell a food source from over a mile away, while other sources claim a black bear can smell food from over two miles away."

From the link (which I also posted earlier today):

Last edited:

Bigunit

Adventurer
Yes, bears have enhanced olfactory capabilities. Many of us already know that fact. Thanks for letting us know.
3f10706276e8d376b89911bddd23d781.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1000arms

Yes, bears have enhanced olfactory capabilities. Many of us already know that fact. Thanks for letting us know. ...
You are quite welcome! :cool: And, just for you, I'll repeat, You are quite welcome! :cool:

Hopefully you got the message, but weren't overwhelmed by seeing a message twice in a thread. :unsure:

Although many forum members may be aware of the "bear" facts, some members might be unaware of the capabilities of bears, and some forum members appear to be in denial of the capabilities of bears.

So, for the safety of forum members, as well as the safety of bears, I have chosen to present some information about the capabilities of bears.

Remember, in the English language, there is a pause at the end of the clause, but with bears, there are claws at the end of the paws! :cool:

Stay safe! :)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
K9 scent ----

I'm a SAR volunteer and my wife and I were helping with K9 SAR training one day.
There are different tasks for different dogs. We took half of a human jawbone and hid it under a rock in a fast-moving stream. Let out our HR (Human Remains) K9 from about half a mile away. Dog did her job, searched back and forth, here and there, all the time moving toward the stream. Took less than 10 minutes and the dog was sitting in the stream barking at the rock. Smelled it under water. Good dog.

It was described to me this way, equating a dog's sense of smell to our sense of taste. The analogy was that we'd be able to taste one teaspoon full of sugar diluted in an Olympic swimming pool.

The nose knows....
Your not hiding anything from a bear. They can smell what's inside canned food.

Torq

Observer
I recently picked up similar, but the Rigid boxes. They too, have the seal. Don't like bugs and spiders getting in my gear. So far, loving them. I did remove the wheels and telescoping handle from the base unit, as they took up a lot of usable space in the Jeep.
I also like that they can be secured together, making them one unit and therefore easier to secure n the vehicle to help avoid any moving vehicle mishaps. What isn't secured becomes a projectile in the unfortunate event of a crash.

I second the Rigid boxes. I use four of the mid-size boxes and a couple of the suitcase style boxes for food, cook gear, etc. As a bonus, they're sturdy enough for me to stand on at 225lbs. - a quality the Action Packers can't boast. I think they're by far, the best in the price range. To get better, you have to go up to Hardigg or Pelican.

jonathon

We use the Costco yellow top bins mostly. They work well. Have one set up as a galley box with all the kitchen gear. My main concern with them is now that we travel by truck having a lid fly off going down the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles