Camping Tents

I’m thinking about downsizing from a small camper, going back to a tent and cot (for an old man’s comfort). I haven’t bought a new tent in at least 25 years. Because I want a cot, my guess is I’m needing at least a 4 person, maybe a 6 person. It will be me and a couple of dogs.

I’m looking for easy to set up and take down, quality construction, poles that don’t bend/break, durability, and reasonable weight and packed size (under 20 pounds).

After looking at brands and reviews on various sites (REI, Cabelas...), I’m no closer to knowing what to choose than when I started looking.

Budget... up to $600.

Any recommendations? Real world experiences?

towee

Gazelle T3 will hold a standard size cot that’s my solo set up. Solo I do a standard cot and chair in it and at 5’9” I can just barely stand up in it. Like all instant tents it’s bulky and slightly heavier than your requirements but it’s a breeze to set up and standing room for me is a game changer.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
REI Hobitat is pretty good, and will fit you well, but it’s not a hardcore 3+ season tent. What weather and climate are you looking to shelter in?

TantoTrailers

I recommend anything Big Agnes, they will replace stuff after you break it 20 years down the road. Expensive but it will last you and the quality of materials is at the top.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I was initially thinking Oztent for the quick set up but I think for the size you need they will be outside of the price range. I like the idea of quick set up so that if you pull into a site late at night or in the rain it's not a nightmare getting your camp ready.

I don't know what temps or weather you camp in so dont know if you need a heavier fabric or if lightweight will do?

I do see that Oztent has a new lighter version that while it pushes the bounds of your price range might work? But the size may still be too small I dont know.

Another thing to do as this is your initial foray into a new kind of camping (maybe not new completely for you but new "at this stage" in your life) might be to go really cheap initially just to see if you like it. Then if you need to make changes to it you havent spent an arm and a leg.

I know Ozark Trail is Walmart's brand and alot of their stuff is crap but they also get very good reviews for certain things (their Yeti knockoff cookers etc.). This is a cheap tent and if it works well then great, but if not you could get rid of it and not be out too much $. All too often I see people (myself included!) dive into some new way of doing something only to find out later I spent too much money and want to change. If I knew initially what I liked and didnt like I might not be out so much $. Just a thought. Good luck!

Ozark Trail 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent with LED Light

krick3tt

Adventurer
Yes, I suppose the OZ tent is pricy for some but I find that ease of use and room inside is well worth the bit of extra cost. When I travel by myself I use a cot tent. Granted it is not a stand up thing but very easy to set up and quite comfortable for sleeping. I don't live in the tent so it is just for sleeping.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I recently started switching from an RTT back to tents again too:
Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL Backpacking Tent
+
KingCamp Ultralight Compact Folding Camping Tent Cot

VERY compact, VERY lightweight Cot fits inside the tent to keep the mozzies off you. Tent can be used both with the vehicle and if I ever backpack again.

sourdoughben

OP never came back? Maybe he’s following. I have owned a Coleman 6 person EasyUP for many years. Coleman cot, folding chair and table. Very comfortable, durable set up, excellent really. Since getting a small RV, I’ve used that equipment as aux. lodging for guest’s that meet up with me at boon docking spots.

Last edited:

TimB

Seek Outside teepee style, extremely easy and fast to set up and take down, extremely strong, light, and has various options including use with a collapsible titanium wood stove

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94