Camping suggestions around Cairns

jpachard

Adventurer
Hello Overlanding Bretheren Down Under!

My girlfriend and I will be renting a small camper for a week out of Cairns and wanted to get some good local recommendations. We are up for primitive camping along with site camping. Let us know what we should see! It looks like Cooktown would be a good place to visit but we are open to any suggestions. We are fine with some longer drives as we would really like to explore the country as much as possible, time permitting.

Thanks in advance for the responses and help.

Cheers, James

Fugly

Adventurer
Hay mate..
Let Google be your friend ...
Much to see ando in the Cairns/FNQ area .....
A week will only just get you started.....

Cheers
Fugly

Rumpig

Adventurer
Can't help with where to stay as we've basically just passed through the area other then an overnight stop in Cairns at a caravan park and then further North at Daintree / Cape Tribulation area on the way to Cape York, but there's plenty to see around Cairns.
Kuranda Skyrail and the train, aswell as Barron Falls are all well worth a look at http://www.cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns-tour-info/skyrail-kuranda-scenic-railway.15/
Paronella Park is also worth looking at aswell whilst in the area of Cairns http://www.paronellapark.com.au/
Cooktown doesn't really have a lot there IMHO, the journey to there for you would be the best part more so then the town itself, be sure and detour to The Lions Den Hotel.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
Lions Den Hotel is a must see and camp out the back of it near the river.
Near by is Black mountain , Annan River gorge they are worth seeing too.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hello Overlanding Bretheren Down Under!

My girlfriend and I will be renting a small camper for a week out of Cairns and wanted to get some good local recommendations. We are up for primitive camping along with site camping. Let us know what we should see! It looks like Cooktown would be a good place to visit but we are open to any suggestions. We are fine with some longer drives as we would really like to explore the country as much as possible, time permitting.

Thanks in advance for the responses and help.

Cheers, James

Hi James,

PM Chocko (ExPo name : Engineer ) in case he doesn't see this thread. He's worked as a tour guide in FNQ forever.

Regards John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles