Camping Shade/ Canopy- Brand suggestions?

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
We are looking for a canopy or shade tent to take camping that can shelter from rain. Would be nice if it also had net walls for bugs too. But I know most are a pain to put up and are often kind of rickety. Any brand suggestions of ones that are easy to use?

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I've got an Eeze-awn Manta from Adventure Trailers. Takes about 5 minutes to set up or take down. Lots of coverage, don't think there are any side wall options though.
I like it. Not the cheapest one out there, but you get what you pay for most times...

nucktaco

Adventurer
Bought a Coleman 10x10 pop up from Walmart for like 100 bucks about 5 years ago. I've treated it like crap and it's just recently developed a small tear. Duct taped it and good to go. Easy setup and is decently waterproof had it in a few big wind/rain storms with no issues.

lugueto

Adventurer
A couple of friends of mine have Coleman 10x10 Instant Canopies which have held up extremely well to our travels. They take up some cargo space while in the truck, but the shelter they provide is pretty big as well.

I know there are a few options with netting, some even have LED lighting (which, for me, is a little over the top).

I will purchase one of those shelters soon.

perkj

Explorer
Quick shade solo LT

Aluminum, sturdy and packs small. Worth the price.

Which model do you have of the Solo LT and what are its dimensions when folded up? Can't seem to find the folded up dimensions anywhere

biff

Observer
Which model do you have of the Solo LT and what are its dimensions when folded up? Can't seem to find the folded up dimensions anywhere

I have the Solo LT 90.
I will measure it tonight for you.

Significantly smaller (packed up) and lighter than my old 10x10 canopy I purchased at Sam's Club.
Additionally, WAY easier to setup.

I will add this bit of info --> because it is so light, stake it down if there is wind.

ikk

Adventurer

As stated above there is a thread which I have included pictures of my setup. I have the Clam. Its a bit expensive but compared to the 12x12 EzUp which is anything but. I can erect this myself in a few minutes. You can buy the optional sides which I did. It will help with rain but by no means is it waterproof. they do make different versions. I think one has built in side shades that is more ideal for rainy areas.
IMG_20150411_152211.jpg
IMG_20150414_171505 (Small).jpg

MICHAEL G

#2 on the Clam. Have used one for 2 seasons and would highly recommend. Very easy to set up. sometimes just use this and leave the tent in the bag if the weather is good. Typically set it up and lift over a picnic table at the campsite. Best price I found was at Amazon. Get the 3 pack of extra panelist you so in this direction. Only downside is the weight and size of folded shelter, but its fits fine in my Grand Cherokee

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...&qid=1459970096&sr=8-3&keywords=clam+outdoors

perkj

Explorer
Quik Shade Solo LT 90 packed dimensions
48"x7"x7"
~20lbs

A correction here. I received both an Solo LT90 and LT72. The LT90 packed up in it bag is 43.5"x7"x7", not 48" as biff stated. The LT72 is 39.5"x7"x7".

I can confirm that these things are very good quality, extremely light compared to steel versions, and much more compact than any others on the market for the size they open to. The canopy material is actually ripstop nylon which is a big plus and should make the fabric quite durable compared to others

The LT72 fits in my LR3 cargo area front-to-back perfectly without putting the seats down. The LT90 can fit side to side if place on the side sections of the upper portion of the cargo area. Both versions of my ezups only were able to fit inside the LR3 only if I put the rear seats down…this wasn't a problem in the past but now that I have 2 kids I can't put the seats down and he ezups had to move to the rack

Last edited:

biff

Observer
A correction here. I received both an Solo LT90 and LT72. The LT90 packed up in it bag is 43.5"x7"x7", not 48" as biff stated. The LT72 is 39.5"x7"x7".

Very sorry about that!!!
(My wife gives me grief too... She says I 'over measure')
Jokes aside, I don't pack mine as it came from the factory... Instead of folding the top and placing next to the frame in the bag, I roll up the top and put it in last. Might be the variation in length (saves time packing for me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94