Camping/hunting XJ build

TxGunner

I just picked up a 1986 Cherokee from a friend to start my build with. It has a 2.5 liter with fuel injection. Some mods that are already on the xj is headers, msd ingnition and cold air intake.
Here it is

First thing I had to do was pull out the carpet in the cargo area that was rotten and fix the rusted out floor.

Here is what I ended up with. I had some 1/8 in diamond floor plate laying around that I cut and tacked in place. I then used bondo to seal it off. It's not the best looking right now but I plan on cleaning it up and rolling bedliner
This is where I'm at right now

Plans are
3" lift
31x10.50 tires
Build new bumpers and tire carrier
Build drawer in cargo area
Get seat covers
Paint all interior trim, dash and console
Build roof rack

roggom

Nice work, It will be nice to have the back sealed up and coated, this way you can spray it out. I had to rip some carpet this weekend, because the temps finally raised above 70 degrees and was having a rank smell. Guess some Antelope blood leaked down between the cargo area and rear seats, mmmm yummy.

What kind of rack you going to build? complete from scratch? I did one of those mods, welding two of the Harbor Freight rear carriers together, not bad and they are on sale right now for $39 ea/

Gonna follow this thread.

cwm

Observer
For future reference, a auto body seam sealer might be a better choice than bondo. Bondo might be more likely to crack. Seam sealer is designed to seal joints where panels are joined.

3M makes several types. Also Eastwood has some styles.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
Also you might want to find out Why the floor rusted out. Leaky rear hatch seal, rear glass gasket, quarter glass gaskets, etc..

sharkoverland

Observer
Yeah mtbxj87 . Just purchased a Xj found driver floor pan rusted out. Front windshield leaking so bad almost fell out from the worn out rtv on windshield. Defiantly find out if you have water leak so you don't have to do it again.
Good luck with the rust not issue.

TxGunner

I found the leak. The passenger side of the rear hatch does not close all the way. It sticks out a half inch farther than the other side. Has anyone had this problem before? If so what did you do to fix it?

mtbxj87

Adventurer
Adjust the hinges and striker. Probably needs a new gasket. And maybe even add some stick on weather strip to the hatch side. Also check the rear glass gasket. Mine leaked real bad. And the quarter glass like to leak on xjs too

TxGunner

I haven't worked on the Cherokee in the past few days but I did build a cooking box. I wanted something that was portable so all my cooking supplies could be moved from one vehicle to another depending on which one I am using. This is what I came up with

I know it's not a jeep but this is other rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles