Camping gear?

Wilbur

Adventurer
I'm still trying to get back into camping and outdoors again. My main issue is I want stuff that will hold up over time but I can't afford to buy the expensive stuff. I do not have a background in any outdoors growing up. So long story short.

Is some of the cheaper gear worth buying? The two main areas that i'm unsure of are tents (i do own a basic colemAn tent I used once) and grills.

Everything I do is on a tight budget.

Rev

Adventurer
If you buy a decent tent, set it up properly, and hang a cheap tarp over it to protect it from pounding rain you will be just fine. I have weathered extreme rain bone dry in a basic coleman tent set-up properly.

Buy a cheap single gas burner and a pan and away you go.

trump

Adventurist
Craigslist is your friend!

People buy brand new gear to go camping use it a couple times and sell it cheap. Just picked up a ($70 new) propane lantern yesterday that looks like it was fresh out of the box for $20. I've seen good deals on nice tents as well... happy hunting. :elkgrin:

Wilbur

Adventurer
Craigslist is your friend!

People buy brand new gear to go camping use it a couple times and sell it cheap. Just picked up a ($70 new) propane lantern yesterday that looks like it was fresh out of the box for $20. I've seen good deals on nice tents as well... happy hunting. :elkgrin:

You know I didn't think of that. But I'll start looking out for that.

ol' scott

Adventurer
steepandcheap.com has great deals on good quality tents a few times a week.

I'd stay away from Coleman tents for this main reason: Every time I go camping it rains. Never fails. Every time it rains I see Coleman tents set up with tarps over them. Never fails. Every morning after it rains the tents are being mopped out by their owners. If they're not being mopped up they're being set backup because they collapsed during the wind. Never fails.

Happened this weekend with the storms we got in N.W. Georgia. My Sierra Designs tent (bought off craigslist for $70 by the way) held up fine in 30 mph winds, even before I guyed it out. The Coleman tents and the like I saw, even guyed out, were collapsing left and right and were flooded.

Shop around, you can find quality stuff for cheap. And if you do buy from REI (I hope you're a member) remember the unconditional return policy. Do it right the first time.

Wilbur

Adventurer
I do have a cheap Coleman that leaked first time I uses it in tellico. Thanks for the site. I wanted idea of who to stay away from.

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm a big fan of REI equipment, I've been real happy with their tents and sleeping bags. Ask around when the 'Scratch and Dent' sales are. REI has a real lenient return policy, anything you're not happy with can be returned, and they sell the mildly used gear at a great discount.

That said, buy quality, and buy once. Cheap gear will just break on you, and you'll have to buy the good stuff in the long run. Keep in mind a nice tent will last you 10+ years.

Uncle Roger

Observer
Hit up your local thrift shop, especially if you're car camping. Pots, silverware, plates, etc. can be had cheap. Sometimes stoves and such. Save your money for a good tent, sleeping bag, and whatever else matters to you. Also, consider borrowing gear or, if you have to, rent it from REI or whereever, at least until you figure out what you want/need. Craigslist is great too. Be sure and check the free section.

Wilbur

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of REI equipment, I've been real happy with their tents and sleeping bags. Ask around when the 'Scratch and Dent' sales are. REI has a real lenient return policy, anything you're not happy with can be returned, and they sell the mildly used gear at a great discount.

That said, buy quality, and buy once. Cheap gear will just break on you, and you'll have to buy the good stuff in the long run. Keep in mind a nice tent will last you 10+ years.

I didn't know about the used gear they sale. This is really good to know.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
REI funds groups that work to close our public land to overland travel. I still buy some stuff from them am a member but their are plenty of supliers that are more freindly to what we do and fund groups that work to keep our public lands open.

Vapor_Trails

Some of the cheaper gear is absolutely worth buying. Go to Walmart. The vast majority of their camping gear is great for the average car-camper. Stay away from their tents, though. For a quality tent on a budget you might want to look at Alps Mountaineering.

Here is a suggestion:

Put together the following items and go camp for one night at the nearest campground. Stay close to home.

You'll need:

1. Tent (use your Coleman)

2. Bedding (sleeping bag, blankets, whatever you already have at home)

3. Sleeping Pad (go buy the cheapest thing at Walmart. I think the little blue foam things are about $12, you can return it the next day if you don't like it)

4. Ice Chest (you have one, right?) Put some cold food in it; sandwiches, cheese & crackers, etc. No need to complicate this by cooking and cleaning. And of course your favorite beverages.

5. Chair ( I imagine you have one of these, too. A folding patio chair works just as well as a "camp" chair)

6. Book and/or radio. Or whatever you wish to pass the time with.

That's it, except maybe firewood. Camping like this for a night will give you a good idea of how you want to develop your camping lifestyle. And you'll also get an idea about which camping gear you might want to acquire.

Start off simple and add things as you go. Have fun!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Sportmansguide.com

Hit and miss at this site. Try to find some product reviews. Everything there is cheaper than the competition... but some of the stuff there is just cheap, poor quality junk.

EDIT: Another good resource is surplus military gear. Wool Blankets are the best for camping, IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier