Camping Chair Storage Bag

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've got two of the ARB Camp Chairs (brown ones, without the plastic side tables). I really like the chairs, but I hate the flimsy storage bag they came with. They've already got holes worn through them.

Does anyone make a heavy duty camp chair storage bag these would fit in? Maybe even waterproof so I can store them on my roof rack?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm retired Army - I've got a couple of those duffle bags in the basement. I was looking for something more "form-fitting"; kinda like the size of the flimsy factory bag the ARB chair came with, but much sturdier. I guess if nobody sells them, I could have a shop that does vinyl boat covers and such make me two the right size. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this issue.

Before I bought the ARB chairs (and I like the chairs a lot better than my cheap Walmart chairs), the reviews were very positive on the ARB chairs, and they panned the storage bags that came with them. And the reviews were definitely right about the storage bags (my Walmart chair bags are much sturdier than the ARB chair bags - too bad the ARB chairs won't fit in them).

DaveNay

Adventurer
I bet it wouldn't be too expensive to have your local canvas shop sew up a couple that aren't waterproof. Waterproof ones might be a bit more problematic simply from a design standpoint.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'd settle for water resistant. I really like the ARB chairs, but with the solid arms they're a little larger than the Walmart chairs when folded up (which is a good thing).

From their website: Folds down to 37” L x 11” W x 8” H

I checked out the tripod bags as mentioned above. Found a couple that would be perfect, other than they run in the $300 - $500 range (and of course I liked the most expensive blue one). But thanks for thinking outside the box!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=193&fct=fct_interior-length_47|38in-96cm+fct_interior-width_3130|12in-30-cm&origSearch=tripod+bags&N=4075788756&

1538754800524.png

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What type of bag are you interested in? Zipper duffle bag style? Clam shell style? Draw string style? Foot locker style? Single or double chair bag? With or without additional storage? With or without a shoulder strap? With or without tie down rings? Water resistant waxed canvas or DWR (durable water resistant) Cordura nylon or rubberized nylon?

rnArmy

Adventurer
What type of bag are you interested in? Zipper duffle bag style? Clam shell style? Draw string style? Foot locker style? Single or double chair bag? With or without additional storage? With or without a shoulder strap? With or without tie down rings? Water resistant waxed canvas or DWR (durable water resistant) Cordura nylon or rubberized nylon?

Probably a draw string style (kinda like what this one, and most folding chairs come with), single chair bag (I have two chairs, so I'd probably get two bags), no additional storage, no shoulder strap (although a fabric grab handle in the middle of the bag might be nice for carrying), no tie-down rings, probably lean towards DWR Cordura (I want something that won't get a hole so easily rubbed in it if it is "wiggling" while in or on a trailer off-road). I know some fabrics have a neoprene (or something like that) padding on one side, so the tough fabric on the outside with a little padding on the inside would be nice (would probably also be more expensive).

A 38" long Zipper-style duffle bag would also work just as well (if by duffle you mean instead of a draw-string at one end, there are no openings at the end but just a zipper down the length). In some ways that might even be the better option. I'm not looking for anything fancy- just something to store the chair in, and if I had it strapped on my roof-rack it would keep the chair inside the bag dry. It doesn't have to be form-fitting, but I don't want a lot of extra fabric flapping around. If I went the duffel bag route, I guess some fabric grab handles on one or both ends would be nice.

I guess I could bring the folded-up chair and factory bag to an upholstery shop, and we could pick out some fabric and use the factory bag as a template for size (would need to be a little bit longer though; ARB really skimped on their chair bag with this one - talk about thin nylon and just barely long enough for it to not close all the way). There might be a market for these bags if someone is handy with a sewing machine and has access to the appropriate material. I really like the ARB chairs, but with the plastic arms it doesn't exactly fold up like a skinny tube like the cheap Walmart folding chairs (which I have a few of those).

I know Overlanders are famous for overdoing things sometimes (I resemble that remark). I don't need a bag with hand-rubbed leather accents, or titanium rivets, or anything like that. Of course, who wouldn't want an Expedition Portal patch sewn on their chair bag to spice it up a bit?

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I found an inexpensive solution for a bag for my ARB camp chair. In some ways, it was free!

I was out in the shop reconfiguring the contents of my trailer for my next adventure (a snow run) https://expeditionportal.com/sierra-snow/

So as I was going through the gear on my shelves, I came across the bags my X-Bull traction devices came in (they're like a generic Maxtrax - that's a whole other thread). Anyways, I looked at them and thought "I wonder if my ARB chairs would fit in them?". They fit perfectly. They are a much better/heavier duty nylon than what came with the ARB chair bags, and they have some sort of applied coating on the inside. And two carrying handles. I am pleased. I just threw the ARB bag that the chair came with in the trash and will be going with these.

Attachments

• ARB chair bag.4.jpg
    ARB chair bag.4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • ARB chair bag.1.jpg
    ARB chair bag.1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • ARB chair bag.3.jpg
    ARB chair bag.3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • ARB chair bag.2.jpg
    ARB chair bag.2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
Since someone bumped this...
Go to goodwill and buy a large pair of mens jeans. Really large. Cut the pants in half crotch to waist, sew the bottoms of the legs closed. Drop a chair in to determine proper length, cut to length, slap a grommet in the top, roll over and sew the top with a drawstring through the grommet.

krick3tt

Adventurer
there are so many good ideas here for a chair bag. The chair and table I bought from Dicks were floor models with no bags. I had some canvas left over from another project and made bags for my items. My industrial sewing machine has since bit the dust.
You can't go wrong with Adventure Tool Co. items though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke