Camping and Mt Mitchell Trip, NC

Bretthn

Explorer
Last weekend we went camping near Mt Mitchel. Most of the time was spent at camp but we did manage to do a little exploring of the area. We stayed at Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Area and Campground in Burnsville, NC. It was very nice. They have sites right along the South Toe River. You can rent tubes, fish and swim.
Temperatures were great due to the higher altitude but we did get light rain each day. We were expecting rains so threw up a large tarp as soon as we set up the first day.

We took South Toe River Road from HWY80 to the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to Mt Mitchel. It is all gravel and had a few primitive camping sites along the way. There are a lot of small one lane bridges and other places to stop for some nice pictures.

We found this old shack along South Toe River Road. It was pretty cool. I think I have heard somewhere that it used to be an old Park Service Shack but not sure. There were no signs indicating what it was used for. My daughter said it was a witches house and the big outside fireplace is used for cooking kids.

Bretthn

Explorer
continued

Another fun road in the the area was Curtis Creek Road, also off the parkway. We did not explore the entire road but will on a future trip. It also had some primitive campsites and a few smaller roads that actually required 4x4. We found one site that was pretty well off the beaten path and might be nice for a group trip.

We did make it to Mt Mitchell but did not get many good pictures due to weather. As soon as we got to the top it started to downpour so we were unable to do any hiking.

Bretthn

Explorer
Few more pictures from around camp

Best swing ever! Piece of firewood and some rope

A section of the river right alonside the campground.

Last night and not sparing any firewood.

And the happy camper:)

xjman88

Adventurer
Awesome trip report. Its some beautiful country up along the Blue Ridge parkway. We live in Salsibury when i was a kid. Our scout troop used to do alot of trips up there. And my dad used to take my brothers and i on alot of camping/fishing trips to the same area. Great memories and thanks for sharing.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Nice to see some great scenery from the East Coast. The landscape down there reminds me a lot of the Northeast. Thanks for sharing

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Good looking family you have there. I've never been a fan of camping, but I enjoyed your pictures. I never saw the point of working hard for nice things only to pretend to be homeless.

Bretthn

Explorer
Nice to see some great scenery from the East Coast. The landscape down there reminds me a lot of the Northeast. Thanks for sharing
Scenery definitely reminds me of the Northeast. I am from Maine. The heat reminds me I am not in the Northeast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles