Campfire container for restricted areas

bearman512

Adventurer
Sorry to hear that dlh62c. Can you tell me what the filthiest piece was? I have had mine since 2009 and I have to clean out the carry bag periodically but that is only because I use charcoal in it with a dutch oven on occasion.

jeegro

Adventurer
Propane firepit while camping?? C'mon. Maybe on the backyard patio, but not in the bush :)

Trash can lid idea is hard to beat. I don't want a lot of bulk, and that fits the bill perfectly.

For cooking, those triangular folding grills also look like a great idea. $35 is worth a gander. $350 for the snowpeak on the other hand.... I'm sure it's amazing but I'd feel silly spending that much on a few sheets of metal.

jeegro

Adventurer
Problem is here in the Great southwest we have fire restrictions and propane is the only option if you want a campfire.
Ah, got you. Same story here in SoCal. Anza Borrego is the only place I know of that allows primitive fires. Fires in established rings or campgrounds are also banned most of the year. Big bummer

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Propane firepit while camping?? C'mon. Maybe on the backyard patio, but not in the bush :)

Problem is here in the Great southwest we have fire restrictions and propane is the only option if you want a campfire.
Last summer there were fire restrictions from California all the way up to British Columbia....

Yeah it's bulky, but I'll take it any time over a no campfire night....

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
For years off-roaders in So. Cal. have used, used washing machine tubs. They are perfect and approved by the Anza Borrego Desert State Park people. They come in two basic sizes: a short one and a tall one. They have some kind of appliance coating on them that makes them degrade very slowly and almost impervious to flame. They are full of holes all around so get a great draft. They can get red hot and can be loaded to produce a LOT of heat. A couple cold evenings at the Hammers some years ago we had two or three of them lined up and were burning sections of old, untreated telegraph poles for heat. I got my 15 inch tall tub at a used appliance place for $10 US. I bought three 12 inch, threaded 3/4 inch nipples with caps; and three cast stanchions as connections and screwed them to the bottom of the tub. I unscrew the legs and fill the tub with firewood for transit. My bro John has the tall model which actually works better because of the chimney effect, but is more difficult to store while traveling. For travel, I put my shortie in a 40 gallon plastic tie bag in the back seat of the truck. jefe
This is the short tub boondocking near Telluride CO:

and bro's tall tub in Anza: He uses shorter nipples. The box on the left and the red crate are for firewood. We had enough wood for 6 nights of burning.

In wetter years, the USFS is amenable to enclosed metal containers for fires. Besides the brush fire issue, they don't want the rocks in the area to be scarred by soot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior