Campfire container for restricted areas

jeegro

Adventurer
In Anza Borrego desert, camp fires have to be in a metal container with a bottom. Looking for creative ideas.

What I want
- something dual purpose
- collapsible would be great, but not required if its very useful as something else
- Low walls

Ideas I've found
- washing machine drum (too big, walls too high)
- turkey pot (pretty good idea, but bulky)
- Wash tub from home depot (galvanized - I've read this is bad on health)

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Not cheap, but have you seen these?

I have one and love it. Very packable, but heavy as all hell. The coolest unexpected benefit is that the smoke tends to go over your head. Waaaaaaay less smoke-in-the-face than a ground fire.

john61ct

Adventurer
Ammo can.

Rocket stove, some fit in an ammo can

Good old hibachi

Smaller kettle BBQ, fill up with storage in transit.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Cut a dead bbq size propane cylinder in half.. use the bottom. Needs to be empty, and needs to be filled completely until overflowing with water (flushed out), emptied, then cut.

NevetsG

On the expensive side, super efficient, multifunctional, and it includes fire powered USB charger (I really want one of these):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQUSY0...olid=1HUAOMFCS5I1G&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

On the mega- cheap end, a briefcase grill:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OC5PYY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a briefcase grill as a temporary disposable solution while moving back from an overseas duty (after our big home grilled died of old age). Was cheaply made, but worked great, and was going to tossed, but it ended up in our shipment.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Wok is good. Drill holes and use 3 long bolts secured with nuts to keep it off ground. There so many fire restrictions in CO and other places we go that we got a propane fire. Easy to use and the rangers love us, no ash to clean up and no embers blowing away. Can cook on it and sit around for an after trail beer fest. It was real tough to not have a wood fire for a long time but the forest needs to stay for the enjoyment of us campers.
Used to go to Anza Borrego when I lived in SD, loved the quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94