Campers to consider

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Okay, I’m looking to get a camper and truck, and after much consideration I’ve decided to get a deleted pre-DEF Ram 3/4 or 1 Ton truck. I’m looking for a light-ish camper, and know nothing about them. I’d like to spend no more than $10k.
The crew will be me, my wife, our 18 month old daughter, and our husky mutt. All told, we are a little less than 400lbs for all of us, we are a small people.
This rig will be used mostly for weekend adventures into the mountains for rock climbing.
I’m sure there are a lot of opinions about brands and I’d love to hear them all. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckychase5

Adventurer
This was our last rig. 1999 Ram 2500 CTD short bed, with an 18ft Fleetwood Pegasus.
We spent many months in this including one 10month adventure.

914bc1901e872be93f4c6c6a012bc91d.jpg

Picture was taken in Bishop CA during a month of climbing in sierras

Porkchopexpress

I think all aluminum is a great option for build quality and longevity and they seem fairly reasonable on the used market. However, aluminum does not insulate temperature very well, (may not be important if weather is moderate). I would also consider fiberglass. Bigfoot and Northern Lite have good reputations.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Have you guys head of Alpenlite Campers?? I found this today. Looks to be basically exactly what we are looking for.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Or you could consider a truck camper. The Lance 815's are narrower and shorter than most out there.
Aluminum roof,self contained and cheap if you can find a nice one.

Porkchopexpress

Have you guys head of Alpenlite Campers?? I found this today. Looks to be basically exactly what we are looking for.

I’m not familiar with that brand but at that price it looks to be a great value if it is in good condition.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
porkchop, an important consideration in finding a truck camper is: what is its weight? Most lightweight hard side truck campers are not lightweight. If you are using a 2500 truck you will have to beef up the rear suspension unless you are lucky enough to get the 'camper ready' version which has the extra overload springs on top and an anti sway bar. To do it right, move up to a 3500 SRW truck. You won't have so much beefing up to do. We sold our full featured 1998 Lance Lite 165-s (85 inches narrow, not so tall, 1842 pounds wet) which served us well for 18 years. We picked up our 2020 Northstar Laredo SC (same footprint as the 165-s but 600 pounds heavier) last month and just returned from a 5 week trip. We love it, but it was not under $10K.

Attachments

• thumb_DSCN2267_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSCN2267_1024.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 30

BRHolt

Alpenlite are well made campers. As with any used camper condition is everything. A big caution, these are anything but "light" campers tending toward some of the heavier campers made

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles