Campers for small bed (5') trucks

schmugboy

Observer
So another issue I've recently encountered is my full size setup gets mighty tight on some of the 4x4 trails I've come across. So I've started looking at smaller trucks. I was hoping to find a 6'+ bed but it seems these are only on extended cab trucks and with two growing sons that are as big as me putting them in an extended cab isn't very humane. So what kind of campers are available for these small trucks. I've seen some Phoenix, FWC, and the others that are based on the go fast concept. Other than size what are some of the other drawbacks to going to a smaller setup. I'm assuming the smaller trucks and their limited payloads would be an issue? Also, center of gravity would be hard to maintain in such a small bed, unless everything was on or forward of axles. Limited engine options? Maybe this has been covered before, I would be surprised if it hasn't'.

highwest

If you’re looking for more space, there are a few 4dr long bed mid-size options. Usually pretty limited payload though (same as the short beds), especially when it comes to campers. You do see people do it though.

schmugboy

Observer
If you’re looking for more space, there are a few 4dr long bed mid-size options. Usually pretty limited payload though (same as the short beds), especially when it comes to campers. You do see people do it though.
I'm sorry, could you be more specific, because when I look at the specs of 4 door Tacomas, Rangers, Colorados I only see a 5' bed as an option or are these not considered "midsize".

Thanks

highwest

4dr long beds are available in new Tacomas and Colorados. I believe it’s been this way for 10+ years on the Tacoma and 5+ years on the Colorado if you’re looking for used.

I don’t think the same configurations exists for Rangers or Frontiers, but worth looking into more.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
couple more months and you will see these from us.
106634B7-51F6-4280-9632-E40EE20AEE83.jpeg

Attachments

• 11EE03E1-2F1A-4797-BDB1-FEF9CD5FF79D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • E0F09093-BC76-4E98-B5B5-2098767CD4D6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

schmugboy

Observer
4dr long beds are available in new Tacomas and Colorados. I believe it’s been this way for 10+ years on the Tacoma and 5+ years on the Colorado if you’re looking for used.

I don’t think the same configurations exists for Rangers or Frontiers, but worth looking into more.

You are right. I never realized this. I just built a Tacoma and Colorado with the long bed option (~6'), the Ranger long bed option was not available with the supercrew. I think the idea of a used vehicle is appealing, but may be harder to find. However, I need to plan for the day of replacing my truck or jeep.
I will also be looking into the truck camper options for 5' beds to see what's available that I like, considering the 8' long one I have feels cramped some days.

Thanks for the information.

Pshin

I have a 5ft bed Colorado with 4 doors. As mentioned, Colorado's do come in a 4 door longbed (6ft) as well. 4 Wheel Camper makes a model for midsize trucks. A few fullpopup (non-wedge) canopy campers are out there too. 4 Wheel Camper Project M, OVRLND (which is what I have), and also Hiatus Campers (super cool hardsided popup). I have also seen a camper called the Scout Yoho that is made for midsize trucks, though not a popup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior