Camper Van ?'s for Central America

Gonejpn2

Observer
Hi everyone. My wife and I are planning a trip on the Pan-American Highway(5 year plan) through Baja to Panama and back with our kid(Lord willing 2 kids by then). We are set on a full size van outfitted to make the trip in. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions from people who own vans and people that have made the trip. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Some requirements...
-4x4
-sleep 4
-reliable
-safe
-budget friendly(I know, ya right, ha ha)
-fridge, stove, heater, water tanks, possibly toilet???
-lockable storage?

So...
-Ford or Chevy or other(1-ton for sure)
-Want some towing capacity, best parts availability in Central America
-Diesel or Gas(whats easiest to find in Central America?)
If gas, V8 or V10
-Find a used SMB(or similar) or start with a "blank canvas" and convert to 4x4/outfit interior myself?
-Could I have different companies do the work?(U-Joint 4x4 kit, Sportsmobile penthouse top and interior, etc.)

Definitely in the beginning stages but could use your recommendations on what to avoid and what to do. And, let me know if I am completely off-base as well! No point in re-inventing the wheel when many great adventurers have gone before you!

Thanks guys!
Dan

And by the way, pictures are always a bonus!!!

haven

Expedition Leader
Your budget will determine which way to go. Check out the Sportsmobile web site for current examples of used prices. With patience, you can find a 15 year old 2wd SMB for $15K or so. Build it yourself, and prices start below $5K (no pop up roof at this price).

You don't **need** 4x4 to visit most locations in Central America. Unless you're trying to take a Jeep trail to a newly discovered ruin, or to shop for real estate at the end of a track to the beach, you will be able to go everywhere the locals go with 2wd. Remember that almost all towns large enough to be on a map are served by 2wd bus service, and by 2wd delivery trucks.

Forum member Joaquin Suave said that 2wd leads to adventures in "manageable trouble." You'll find that people passing by are often eager to help get you un-stuck. You'll make new friends this way.

Take time now to learn rudimentary Spanish. People you meet will respond well to your attempts to communicate.

rblackwell

Adventurer
Hi everyone. My wife and I are planning a trip on the Pan-American Highway(5 year plan) through Baja to Panama and back with our kid(Lord willing 2 kids by then). We are set on a full size van outfitted to make the trip in. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions from people who own vans and people that have made the trip. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Some requirements...
-4x4
-sleep 4
-reliable
-safe
-budget friendly(I know, ya right, ha ha)
-fridge, stove, heater, water tanks, possibly toilet???
-lockable storage?

So...
-Ford or Chevy or other(1-ton for sure)
-Want some towing capacity, best parts availability in Central America
-Diesel or Gas(whats easiest to find in Central America?)
If gas, V8 or V10
-Find a used SMB(or similar) or start with a "blank canvas" and convert to 4x4/outfit interior myself?
-Could I have different companies do the work?(U-Joint 4x4 kit, Sportsmobile penthouse top and interior, etc.)

Definitely in the beginning stages but could use your recommendations on what to avoid and what to do. And, let me know if I am completely off-base as well! No point in re-inventing the wheel when many great adventurers have gone before you!

Thanks guys!
Dan

And by the way, pictures are always a bonus!!!

I agree with haven, you don't need 4x4 for central or south america (unless you definitely want to go on some of the more primitive roads).

Here are some friends we met in Colombia they are driving an old Dodge class B that they bought for $7000. In some of these photos they are broken down but they were fixed by the free road side assistance in Colombia.

http://www.whiteacorn.com/theamericas/journals/entries/090829/index.php
http://www.whiteacorn.com/theamericas/journals/entries/090828/index.php

They traveled for over a year in south america with this vehicle without more than some minor mechanical repairs. We saw a couple more vehicles like this (US B-class motorhomes) driven by Europeans. This one is a gasoline 5.9L

Rob

Gonejpn2

Observer
Thanks guys!

I guess I have some selfish reasons for the 4wd aspect. I look at it more like cheap insurance if you will. I have always owned Jeeps and love going off the beaten path. The van would be a daily driver for me because I have to sell every other vehicle I have to help pay for it, ha ha. The 4wd would be used more here in the states after the trip. We live in the mountains of Idaho where we get lots of snow and I love to travel to Moab, remote campsites, etc. You are right about not needing it though. I guess I could always convert after the trip as well.

My wife speaks fluent Spanish. I know very little at all. She will be our translator and I will be the "body guard" according to her. She has much experience traveling to Spanish speaking countries lucky for me.

Great pics Rob! Thanks for sharing. Looks like they had a great trip!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I can give you the rundown on ford vans but don't know about any others. Haven was on the money with the old Sportsmobile versus the home build. I had a 93 Sportsmobile that I intended to convert to 4x4 but I worked out that the interior would not last on rough roads. The Poptop was great and I would have that again. I would be hesitant about paying the 6k to put one in an older van. If you are on a 5 year plan then it would be more cost effective and depending on your skills you would get a better quality interior by buying a good quality van, building your own interior and doing your own conversion. Leave the Poptop until you are sure that the van is the way you want to go.

On the 4wd side. Again I would be hesitant on putting the money in an older van. I have a 96 diesel with an Advanced 4wd conversion. Also a 98 diesel ambulance conversion with a Quigley conversion. They are fun but there is a penalty in mileage and extra bits to fix. Again out of all the conversions I have seen I would go with a UJOR conversion.

For 2 adults and 1-2 kids you will need at least an EB van. They get small quickly. That is why we have changed our long term plans to the ambulance conversion. It is just that bit bigger inside but we will suffer with access especially in the smaller market towns and fuel economy.

witt

Adventurer
My family is planning a similar trip, in 3-4 years' time. We have one kid who will be 5 or 6 when we depart. We're planning to spend a year and travel all the way to Ushuaia.

I've been back and forth on a number of vehicles, but keep coming back to a SMB with the poptop. I'd love to have a 4x4 sprinter, but it would have to be pre-2007 because of the ultra low-sulfur diesel problem, and it doesn't seem like there are any tested conversions available right now.

I'm partial to diesel because of the additional range and the fact that I drove a diesel land rover in Africa and really liked it - but when I really start to think about it there's no real rational reason to get a diesel for South America (even in Africa, petrol was available everywhere we bought diesel), and the ULSD issue means we'll be in an 8-10 year old vehicle when we leave.

As for 4x4, I think I'm in the same boat you are - I just want it. Based on a comment on this thread, it sounds like it isn't really a necessity, unless you're seeking out the difficult tracks. It does make it nice to be able to pull off the road or onto a beach to bushcamp though, but I'm not sure there will be as much of that in SA as there was in Africa.

One argument for getting a less expensive vehicle without 4x4 (beyond having more money for travel, which IMO is the whole point) is that it doesn't look all flashy and expensive, and should draw less attention. If you're driving a '95 dodge van you look a lot poorer than someone driving a new, jacked up 4x4 SMB.

Here are some vehicles I've considered besides the SMB:
4x4 sprinter - probably can't get one
something based on a mitsu fg140 - earthcruiser is beyond my budget, would have to build it myself
Syncro Westy - Too old, and still expensive if you replace everything
Tiger - Still in the running, but probably bigger than we'd like

We're planning to go to next year's overland expo to check out some of the options in person. Can anyone recommend another venue for this purpose?

Good luck with your search, and I look forward to hearing what you decide on.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We're planning to go to next year's overland expo to check out some of the options in person. Can anyone recommend another venue for this purpose?

You could come to the Overland Rally in Hollister in October. Details are on the forum somewhere. I will have my converted ambulance there (E350 diesel Quigley) and there are sure to be a bunch of Sportsmobiles and maybe a couple of home built ones as well.

Gonejpn2

Observer
Great info. guys. Thanks for the input!

Oh, and thanks a lot Ozrockrat...now you got me dreaming about an ambulance conversion, ha ha!

Just a thought...
What do you guys think about doing an ambulance conversion and instead of keeping the rear doors, replace them with a fold out/down bed like those on the ends of the "hybrid travel trailers"? It would keep the travel size of the vehicle down while also adding a bed, therefore sleeping 4 total. Do you think this would pose any safety issues by having a bed that low and only having "tent" material for sides?

hybrid-travel-trailer-001.jpg

Anyway...keep the input coming! Thanks!

tribeof5

Adventurer
Contact Derek at Colorado Camper Van. I have been speaking to him about doing a pop top roof on an ambulance conversion. You could sleep 4 up top and not lose your lower floor space or the rear doors. Just my thoughts. I have 5 kids so need alot of sleeping space.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Great info. guys. Thanks for the input!

Oh, and thanks a lot Ozrockrat...now you got me dreaming about an ambulance conversion, ha ha!

Just a thought...
What do you guys think about doing an ambulance conversion and instead of keeping the rear doors, replace them with a fold out/down bed like those on the ends of the "hybrid travel trailers"? It would keep the travel size of the vehicle down while also adding a bed, therefore sleeping 4 total. Do you think this would pose any safety issues by having a bed that low and only having "tent" material for sides?

hybrid-travel-trailer-001.jpg

Anyway...keep the input coming! Thanks!

No problem with the concept and in really rough/cold areas you don't foldout the bed just sleep on the floor. BUT the back doors on ambulances are not wide enough to fit a bed. We considered making ours into a slide-out but it is not wide enough and if you do open it wider you may impact the strength of the whole structure. We are still considering closing off the back doors and putting a permanent sleeping platform across the back with storage underneath. The under storage would be accessible from the outside (sides) and used for seldom accessed gear (parts etc). The top of the old doors area would have a big opening hatch with largish window (without compromising security) so that it can be opened fully where the environment warrants it.

For extra sleeping capacity and more headroom I will be putting in a poptop (actually off a Chinook) and having the same type of system as Sportsmobile. Again this can be deployed as needed but in a pinch you can stealth camp.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
The Bumfuzzles did it in a 1958 VW panel bus... [video]http://youtu.be/c_3A7sdQbxw[/video]

Just sayin... :). If I had the budget, get a sweet sprinter van with the awesome mileage diesel and keep it light. There's even that 2003 for sale on Expo right now!

hennaLisa

Wow! I'm so happy to have found this thread!

My hubby and I are planning to do a similar trip. Our kids are currently 3 years old and 3 months old, so we hope to go in about a year. Figured we'd start out in the US, head towards Mexico, and keep going as long as we're enjoying ourselves. We also want 4x4. I already know from traveling around North Mexico, that there are some pretty rough roads to little places I want to go, such as down into Copper Canyon and up into tiny villages in the cloud forest in the NE.

Not trying to hijack your thread though. We've also been considering a diesel short bus. Is it possible to convert to 4x4? not sure. We were hoping not to have any pop out for security reasons.

91redford

i just bought an '89 toyota 4WD van that i'll be modifying into a 2 person traveler, i hope to go north a far as land allow and then south. the van is suitable for central america travel can go on beaches and get back out and gets 20+ mpg, the little motor that powers it was originally designed for forklifts and has a rep for durability.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Take time now to learn rudimentary Spanish. People you meet will respond well to your attempts to communicate.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with Haven's entire post, as well as the good info from the others.

My wife is also fluent in Spanish, but then we do get seperated every now and then and all the sudden I realize I'm pretty much speachless. Hate that feeling. Take Spanish and then find a Mexican restaurant to lunch at during the week to practice (they will love it).

4x4 vans are awesome and actually enhance my trips on multiple levels. But aside from budget, the fact of the matter is that south of the border you really want to fly under the radar as much as possible. A big 4x4 van sticks out like a sore thumb and says loudly to all the locals you pass by "Look what I have, my van is worth more than your home and all you will have your entire life". Yes, i would still want to be in my 4x4 Astro, but a 2wd older camper van will be a lot less noticeable than a ************ Sportsmobile. If I did go the Sporty route, I'd go with more of a standard wheel and tire set up rather than anything bling oriented.

The less attention you draw to yourself the better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles