Camper Trailer under 8' Height

rehammer81

Looks like ROA has all of a sudden with no fan fare dropped the price of the Xplore 145 from starting at 125k down to starting at 110k. It does not appear like it is less equipped but they may have done something to the standard options. If they did just drop the price 15k then they either listen to all of us or just realized folks are not buying how they came up with a bonkers price by simply comparing to a 200k Bruder. Still don't think that 145 should be over 100k.
They dropped the battery bank down to 360Ah and solar output down to 240W. The one they have been parading had 3x both specs if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

They dropped the battery bank down to 360Ah and solar output down to 240W. The one they have been parading had 3x both specs if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The had the 145 at starting at 125k. To have the stage 3 solor it would have been 150k.

Now they dropped it to starting at 110k with stage 3 its likely 130 k

TGK

I've owned a 23ft 51 year old Airstream for 17 years that had most of the interior gutted and rebuilt/replaced about 18 years ago by the previous owner. Newer appliances throughout at the time, except for the furnace. Anyway, it's currently in the shop getting some leaking plumbing repaired and also, hopefully, a new refrigerator as the old one died and parts are no longer available. The repair shop has been around quite a while and has a good reputation. When discussing replacement options for my refrigerator, the main guy shared how he has seen the quality of RV appliances and parts plummet over the past few years, mainly due to the pandemic craziness. Explosive demand coupled with difficulties finding experienced workers when the factories reopened and geared up hit the entire industry. He also said the bottom is falling out now and expects to see layoffs in the RV industry supply chain as demand shrinks. As for the old Airstream, there are things we love about it, but it's not a backroad trailer. I've been watching these forums for quite some time to see if we could find a small trailer for the backroads, while keeping the Airstream for more front country camping. The other option is to sell it and get something more rugged of a similar or slightly smaller size that has the basic amenities my wife and I want. So far, I haven't seen anything in either category that's inspired me enough to make a purchase. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the RV industry over the next 12 months.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've owned a 23ft 51 year old Airstream for 17 years that had most of the interior gutted and rebuilt/replaced about 18 years ago by the previous owner. Newer appliances throughout at the time, except for the furnace. Anyway, it's currently in the shop getting some leaking plumbing repaired and also, hopefully, a new refrigerator as the old one died and parts are no longer available. The repair shop has been around quite a while and has a good reputation. When discussing replacement options for my refrigerator, the main guy shared how he has seen the quality of RV appliances and parts plummet over the past few years, mainly due to the pandemic craziness. Explosive demand coupled with difficulties finding experienced workers when the factories reopened and geared up hit the entire industry. He also said the bottom is falling out now and expects to see layoffs in the RV industry supply chain as demand shrinks. As for the old Airstream, there are things we love about it, but it's not a backroad trailer. I've been watching these forums for quite some time to see if we could find a small trailer for the backroads, while keeping the Airstream for more front country camping. The other option is to sell it and get something more rugged of a similar or slightly smaller size that has the basic amenities my wife and I want. So far, I haven't seen anything in either category that's inspired me enough to make a purchase. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the RV industry over the next 12 months.
Your not alone. Definitely in the same boat err camper?. Most of the Indiana manufacturers have pretty much shut down to basic crews or less. Parts quality for many things out of China crashed hard when China started lock downs. Even torsion axles were shipping in with garbage swing arms, auto makers had to really filter through their parts to weed out the trash and we’re short. The refrigerator we ordered June of 2019, same fridge found on the Russian super yacht fly bridge bar took 14 months to get. It replaced the same exact model that died after 22yrs of pool bar service.. $2600 4 cubic ft fridge with a ICE maker that can keep a Russian Kleptocrats vodka cold 24/7 ??

The RV madness is definitely over!! Add that those who paid $15,000 -$20,000 over pre pandemic prices have discovered they can’t book sites because everything is booked solid 6-9 months out??. $15,000-$20,000 can fund some serious air bnb travel adventures or better… Hell I can charter a sailboat and spend 12 days with my whole family cruising Croatia for that.

The pandemic spending stupidity is requiring FED involvement to fix lol.

TGK

Your not alone. Definitely in the same boat err camper?. Most of the Indiana manufacturers have pretty much shut down to basic crews or less. Parts quality for many things out of China crashed hard when China started lock downs. Even torsion axles were shipping in with garbage swing arms, auto makers had to really filter through their parts to weed out the trash and we’re short. The refrigerator we ordered June of 2019, same fridge found on the Russian super yacht fly bridge bar took 14 months to get. It replaced the same exact model that died after 22yrs of pool bar service.. $2600 4 cubic ft fridge with a ICE maker that can keep a Russian Kleptocrats vodka cold 24/7 ??

The RV madness is definitely over!! Add that those who paid $15,000 -$20,000 over pre pandemic prices have discovered they can’t book sites because everything is booked solid 6-9 months out??. $15,000-$20,000 can fund some serious air bnb travel adventures or better… Hell I can charter a sailboat and spend 12 days with my whole family cruising Croatia for that.

The pandemic spending stupidity is requiring FED involvement to fix lol.
We also had a 1999 F250 that carried 2 different Four Wheel Camper Grandbys for 20 years. That was our "backroad" rig. Sold the combo in spring 2019 12 months prior to the pandemic smacking us. Our use of that rig had dropped for several years leading up to the pandemic and we liked the concept of being able to "drop" a trailer in a base camp and go out to explore in the tow vehicle, so we thought we'd explore rugged small trailers. Then, with the pandemic, everyone rushes out to buy RV's and finding spots in campgrounds becomes insane. Even competition for prime boon docking sites exploded necessitating driving farther out into the backcountry. With the truck/camper combo gone, we found ourselves having to book some sites 6 months out as you've noted. Or, be very selective about where we could take the Airstream outside of campgrounds. I've 2nd guessed my decision to sell that truck/camper combo many times. Also could have sold it in 2021 for double what it went for in 2019.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
All my camping since the pandemic stupidity has been on private property only. It became far easier to book air bnb’s with hot tubs 2-3 weeks out vs 6-9 months battling bot nets for a campsite in a over crowded campground being treated like a cheap rental for a rave with 100 of your friends rolling in to party all night?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Add on $3000 for container shipping and another $2000 in assembly labor bits and bobs cost.
Depending on where it's coming from and going to. We were paying 3 G's for a container pre-covid.
We were being quoted up to 30 grand per container at one point during covid / shipping woe days.
(this is from China to port in Vancouver)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Depending on where it's coming from and going to. We were paying 3 G's for a container pre-covid.
We were being quoted up to 30 grand per container at one point during covid / shipping woe days.
(this is from China to port in Vancouver)
Yep thats no longer the case today. But sellers will continue to use that to justify asking prices. Also a big reason the Chinese campers all require sizable assembly is they are specifically designed to pack into containers in a manner that allows for several in a container not 1.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not to mention buyers should always consider the shipping costs of a product like a Chinese camper when buying.
I have been involved in racing sailboats for a long time. Shipping sailboats be it new to sell boats or boats to and from events across the globe is something many sailors are pretty familiar with. Its a very common practice in the competitive sailing world.
A french built 27ft hull sells for the same price here as it typically sells for in the Mediterranean. The dealers typically end up eating 1/2 the shipping cost and are lucky to see a break even on shipping cost. Thats just a cost that cuts into their profit.
Same boat in the Mediterranean likely has similar transportation cost to its destination around the Mediterranean.

Where the prices diverge is in the number of boats on the market. The Mediterranean market has far far more boats for sale making it a more competitive better buyers atmosphere than here in the US for the same boat where you might have 3 to choose from.

Shipping via container cost is not used as a 30-40% markup argument because the sailing community easily calls BS on that and will simply fly to the Mediterranean, buy their ideal boat, spend a season or two cruising the med then ship it home for what a US dealer might be dreaming of selling the same hull here for only minus lots of valuable add on equipment.

This recent model of sourcing Chinese campers and selling them here was done by the sailing community back in 2003.

tlrols

My family has been researching RV/Trailers for a couple months and we are trying to find one we can use to sleep 4 and fit in our 8' tall garage. We have thought about converting a cargo trailer, but like the idea of purchasing something ready to go. A pop up is an option, but not ideal for our situation.

Anyone know of one that may fit our height requirements?
An A-Liner type trailer might work. It can sleep 4 but it’s better with 2 or 3 people. It’s better than a tent style pop-up. It will easily fit in a garage.

EPO

A-Liner would work but I sure wouldn't want to take it off road, at least to the places we often go to.

tlrols

A-Liner would work but I sure wouldn't want to take it off road, at least to the places we often go to.
I drag mine on various adventures off paved roads. It literally weighs a ton so I don’t do hairy technical stuff with it. It’s ground clearance is better than my lifted 4Runners! I just put the screws back in it after they have all rattled out from the trip. It’s a great base camp suitable for most forest service roads. 76DB1573-2317-45F4-BB0E-950B6C4F29A8.jpeg

tlrols

I drag mine on various adventures off paved roads. It literally weighs a ton so I don’t do hairy technical stuff with it. It’s ground clearance is better than my lifted 4Runners! I just put the screws back in it after they have all rattled out from the trip. It’s a great base camp suitable for most forest service roads. View attachment 748547
Regardless of your trailer choice do try and find a way to repurpose a 60mm mortar ammo can. Very manly look it adds, lol.EA186444-CFB6-4038-89A0-D4DC3765BFB7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles