Camper Trailer under 8' Height

DR BrianO

a926ce4e138ddd1cc2feaa98b0f8ef75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best one- thanks for sending.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Hey Doc,

I was very close to going with an AntiShanty

Love the Aluminum chassis. The tongue bar is removable incase you need to shorten the length foot print in your garage. It obviously will fit in garage height wise. When set up tons of head room with gable roof. If your down with diesel the stove furnace is top of the line. They are factory direct so no cheese ball dealer to deal with. They definitely are a camper not an RV. I do not believe they have any on board water tanks.
You would need to have a road shower and porti potty.

The reason I didn't go with them is how narrow the interior space is. 5 feet. Now this does alow one to add those cool spacious kitchen boxes and other accessories on the outside.

I think this rig is geared for younger hipsters who like to camp and already have an overlander tow vehicle.

They have a cool fixed top model but still the narrow foot print

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So if consider pop ups these are my suggestions in order:

Boreas eos12 or Mission Overland Approach
Arktos
Reconn R4
Taxa Mantis

For a hardsided stand up with 6 ' 4" of headroom the Trailer Marker is an option but you will have to pull wheels to get in garage and you will have to use a 4" drop Timbren suspension which will give you 15" of ground clearance. You cannot have a rooftop AC. If you need it to be light and can wait 12-18 months Trailer Marker is the best. 3,500 gvw

There are two other builders that may be able to spec it like the Trailer Marker but they will likely be 5,000 gvw

Kingdom Campers
Rover Off Road
The Boeas is too small for families unless you have a truck and add a popup shell that also houses gear.
The Chinese campers are seeing a price crash if they hit $30,000 they will be interesting. But at 50+ they are just Chinese knock off trash.
But the bare minimum family of 4 camper ar the bunk versions 13-15ft Chinese trailers.

US Makers struggle with the concept of a shelter vs rolling ranch house and seem to fail miserably with bunks for families. The failure is so consistent that you find dads in every campground who have built bunks for their kids.

Reactions: TGK

The Boeas is too small for families unless you have a truck and add a popup shell that also houses gear.
The Chinese campers are seeing a price crash if they hit $30,000 they will be interesting. But at 50+ they are just Chinese knock off trash.
But the bare minimum family of 4 camper ar the bunk versions 13-15ft Chinese trailers.

US Makers struggle with the concept of a shelter vs rolling ranch house and seem to fail miserably with bunks for families. The failure is so consistent that you find dads in every campground who have built bunks for their kids.

Hey Cali great points but if Doc is liking the AntiShanty the Boreas eos12 is not to small.

jmmaxus

Hey Doc,

I was very close to going with an AntiShanty

Love the Aluminum chassis. The tongue bar is removable incase you need to shorten the length foot print in your garage. It obviously will fit in garage height wise. When set up tons of head room with gable roof. If your down with diesel the stove furnace is top of the line. They are factory direct so no cheese ball dealer to deal with. They definitely are a camper not an RV. I do not believe they have any on board water tanks.
You would need to have a road shower and porti potty.

The reason I didn't go with them is how narrow the interior space is. 5 feet. Now this does alow one to add those cool spacious kitchen boxes and other accessories on the outside.

I think this rig is geared for younger hipsters who like to camp and already have an overlander tow vehicle.

They have a cool fixed top model but still the narrow foot print

Reason it’s 5 foot wide is with tires the trailer will be about 7 foot wide. Once you step up to a 6 wide/8wide with tires trailer it’s become more of an RV and less ability to take down a trail. Plus an 8 foot wide trailer is wider than just about every tow vehicle and it’s track width which again makes it less suitable for what this product is intended for.

jmmaxus

Yes I agree. The Anti Shanty s are pretty innovative but just to much $ . They all are except for Trail Marker.

I agree the prices of many trailers have gotten crazy. A lot due to material and availability cost but also due to demand. Antishanty and other custom trailer builders that are building with quality components are booked out on builds for over a year. They can charge as much as people are willing to pay and if they are booked why charge less. The mass market RV builders just aren’t building anything competitive so there isn’t enough inventory on the market.

Very true. I am a fan of trailers that have the wheels on the outside of the box. When you go cab over wheel and penitrate box like 8 foot wide rvs do then your right. Having a stand up that sleeps 4 limits any rig from really narrow trail off roading.

For example my TM will have 80 " wide box. That's about 20 " wider then AntiShanty.
True the wheels go out to 8+ feet but the box is no wider then my Ford Transit van at 6' 10 ". Stock mirrors on Transit are fine.

Now on a narrow road having your wheels track 8+ feet wide could limit you but maybe there are benefits to tracking outside if ruts.

With the kitchen boxes on outside the AntiShanty box is not that much narrower then mine.

You would have to jump inside one and see if 62" is wide enough for the family. They could have gone at least a foot wider

billiebob

There is the option of "garage tires".... on 8" rims.... and an axle flip.
IMG_1528.jpg

Better photo of the concept.
20200131_133818.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree the prices of many trailers have gotten crazy. A lot due to material and availability cost but also due to demand. Antishanty and other custom trailer builders that are building with quality components are booked out on builds for over a year. They can charge as much as people are willing to pay and if they are booked why charge less. The mass market RV builders just aren’t building anything competitive so there isn’t enough inventory on the market.

Builders like Escape in BC have seen their orders over a year out shrink to 2-3 months in just the last 4 weeks. I would bet the higher priced stuff has seen an even bigger crash in their orders. Course none of them will tell you that. I call BS on your justification. 12months ago yes. Today nope…

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Builders like Escape in BC have seen their orders over a year out shrink to 2-3 months in just the last 4 weeks. I would bet the higher priced stuff has seen an even bigger crash in their orders. Course none of them will tell you that. I call BS on your justification. 12months ago yes. Today nope…

I've noticed the same thing with many other higher-end trailers in BC. What used to sell in days now sits for 3 months with no movement... other than a decreasing price. Plenty of sellers still out to lunch, though. Got to laugh at the guys wanting $45k for their 20 year old trailers, while newer, better equipped models from the same manufacturer are not selling at 30k. And I have a feeling in a few months we're going to start seeing a huge influx in inventory, while buyers for anything but essential items will cease to exist altogether.

Fingers crossed for the bankruptcy of every single RV dealer that has been screwing people over since the day it opened its doors for the first time! That is to say, 99% of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94