Camper tie down recommendations please

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Hi there, I’m putting a 2300 lb camper on my truck and need some tiedowns. I like the look of the Happijac ones that have the bumpers and stay behind the bed. Anyone use these? Any other style or brand I should check our? Truck is a 2015 Ram 3500
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathon

Torklift is the main competitor to Happijac and requires no drilling. The downside is they are mounted on the frame and stick out more.

mightymike

Adventurer
We've used Torklift frame-mounted brackets and turnbuckles on two trucks (same camper, 2,900 lbs loaded). Current truck is a Ram 3500. I don't think I'd trust the bumper and bed mounted tie downs. The brackets on my Ram did not require drilling, they all used existing holes in the frame. My brother just mounted them on his 2020 F350. No drilling for his either. I really don't think the brackets are that noticeable. I can send pics if you'd like.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
We've used Torklift frame-mounted brackets and turnbuckles on two trucks (same camper, 2,900 lbs loaded). Current truck is a Ram 3500. I don't think I'd trust the bumper and bed mounted tie downs. The brackets on my Ram did not require drilling, they all used existing holes in the frame. My brother just mounted them on his 2020 F350. No drilling for his either. I really don't think the brackets are that noticeable. I can send pics if you'd like.

That would be awesome!

Luckychase5

Adventurer
I might be going a HappiJac. I talked to a few guys in my town, and torqlift is back ordered 6 weeks. They currently have one set of Happijac’ in stock for my truck. We’ll see, a lot of research to do tibight

mightymike

Adventurer
That would be awesome!

Here are the pics. The front brackets are approximately 6" inboard from the outermost sheetmetal on the bed and the rear brackets are tucked up under the bumper so much that you literally have to bend down to see them. Between this Ram and my previous F250, I have never had any issues with them catching on things, although I'm sure somebody somewhere has managed to do so. I use my truck on gravel
roads and on the farm, like these trucks are supposed to be used. I've ordered the brackets and turnbuckles through eTrailer and have had good service from them and quick shipping. Torklift 1.jpgTorklift 1.jpgtorklift 3.jpgTorklift 4.jpgTorklift 2.jpg

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Thank you! Torqlift was back ordered 6 weeks. My local shop had one set of happijac’s, so I went with that. The guy there said he’s been installing them for 25 years, all brands. And now that the Happijac’s tie into the frame, he says they are awesome. Fingers crossed

mightymike

Adventurer
Thank you! Torqlift was back ordered 6 weeks. My local shop had one set of happijac’s, so I went with that. The guy there said he’s been installing them for 25 years, all brands. And now that the Happijac’s tie into the frame, he says they are awesome. Fingers crossed

Keep us posted and have fun!

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Happijac’s on and so is our new to us 2015 Adventurer 86FB

cd229f0c87682d2a75bb164be491f3b3.jpg

88bc6b31da0413ac199ad1fc2964d005.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So those Happijac ones attach to the bed and bumper? Hmmm. They claim to be “direct to frame”, but I’m seeing a lot of moving parts that are nowhere near the frame. Let us know how they do if you see a lot of wind or off-road use...

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So those Happijac ones attach to the bed and bumper? Hmmm. They claim to be “direct to frame”, but I’m seeing a lot of moving parts that are nowhere near the frame. Let us know how they do if you see a lot of wind or off-road use...

The mounts in the bed go to the back of the bed and had sandwich plates that are 3/16 and 1/4” and mount with 8 3/8” bolts, and then also goes down through the frame. So ten bolts and 4 screws later, the back bed mount is done. The bumper mounts are just that, 3/8” bolt with sandwich plates. Seems pretty stout currently, but I have a lightweight camper. If I had something heavy like an arctic fox, I’d probably have waited for Torqlift ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles