Camper Siding Material Recommendations

ckouba

Hi all,

I am building a big steel box on the back of an M1088 (link to SS thread) and am getting close to being able to skin it. I have been assuming I was going to skin it with aluminum but have had my hands on some e-panel (or di-bond) forget which. If you're unfamiliar, it's 0.003" or 0.004" alu skin on both sides of an HDPE layer with a thickness of your choosing, 3-4mm. It is a great as a concept but seems to dent very easily- like when I knocked it with the rivet gun while doing a trial peice, so I am now leaning back toward just aluminum.

At this point, I am fairly well committed to my plan but my question is, does anyone have any other recommended exterior paneling material which would be compatible with a steel skeleton type of build?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hi all,

I am building a big steel box on the back of an M1088 (link to SS thread) and am getting close to being able to skin it. I have been assuming I was going to skin it with aluminum but have had my hands on some e-panel (or di-bond) forget which. If you're unfamiliar, it's 0.003" or 0.004" alu skin on both sides of an HDPE layer with a thickness of your choosing, 3-4mm. It is a great as a concept but seems to dent very easily- like when I knocked it with the rivet gun while doing a trial peice, so I am now leaning back toward just aluminum.

At this point, I am fairly well committed to my plan but my question is, does anyone have any other recommended exterior paneling material which would be compatible with a steel skeleton type of build?

I vote for something a little tougher. First time a branch kisses the side of your box, you will regret not doing something more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
You might check out this thread, its his sales thread but has some build photos. He used mdo siding over a steel frame.

Hope that paste worked…

-Chris

john61ct

Adventurer
PMF, foamie style but just as skin rather than structural.

Does not look as fancy but if it gets dented or even punctured, easy to repair even in remote locations.

Great insulation built-in

ckouba

Thanks guys.

I had forgotten about PMF. Might be an interesting option.

I do like the sounds of MDO too and will look to see what is available locally.

I was off for the alu thickness on the e-panels, it's actually 0.008" when I looked it back up. Looking dibond back up, it's 0.012" and I would be very curious to get a sample of that and see how it holds up. Still seems like it'd be a bit thin.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

I had forgotten about PMF. Might be an interesting option.

I do like the sounds of MDO too and will look to see what is available locally.

I was off for the alu thickness on the e-panels, it's actually 0.008" when I looked it back up. Looking dibond back up, it's 0.012" and I would be very curious to get a sample of that and see how it holds up. Still seems like it'd be a bit thin.

You will want make sure your edges are protected from water. Only the outside skin is water resistant on MDO.

I really think .012 aluminum is too thin. From Wikipedia: “Standard household foil is typically 0.016 mm (0.63 mils) thick, and heavy duty household foil is typically 0.024 mm (0.94 mils). The foil is pliable, and can be readily bent or wrapped around objects.”

That won’t take any abuse and with one of these trucks, you want to be able to brush against a tree branch without tearing your skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles